beat the blitz or die.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Alot of complaining about the O-line but they are not near as bad as some here think. From what I am seeing the problem is a combo of things. O-line inexperience, poor blocking and blitz pick up from the TE, full back and RB, poor play calling and execution.

Last night the Lions blitzed more and more as the game progressed. They did this because we couldn't beat it, not even once and the guys who are suppose to pick it up just plain did not.

I see folks here complaining about screen plays but that is one of the most effective ways to burn an over aggressive defense. I think we attempted one last night and it got blown up so we went away from it. The problem is it is like the running game. Even a failed attempt will keep them honest just for the threat. Going away from it has the opposite effect.

Just my 2 cents but until we learn to deal with the blitz bad things are going to happen.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
We have offensive line projects starting who hesitate in their assignments and a center who can't identify and make the protections, or snap the ball accurately. We have a young running back who isn't ready to pick up the blitzes. Our TEs don't block, can't block and our QB is just trying to find where the snap is coming and doesn't have time to make his pre snap reads much less his coverages.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
The most discouraging play was when the Lions showed blitz, Russ gave a hard count and they tipped their hand. Russ seemed to make a change, but we still didn't have a hot route behind the blitz (which left the middle of the field wide open). Instead, as you can guess, our OL was out numbered and Russ got sacked.