The elephant in the room (Graham)

HawkEye

Reaction score
Yes, I know our offense is trying to find an identity, and I know Graham has been double covered in many plays, but after 4 games, I'm wondering if we could ever find out how to use him properly. It's painful to watch him trying to block, we won't line him as a WR...Seems to me we only have a multimillion dollar decoy so far.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Seemed like he was split out wide quite a bit in this game. I think that's a start.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Hawkfan509":20l7hgkh said:
IMHO the elephant in the room is our o line

Being in the room would be an improvement for the Oline.

minormillikin

Reaction score
I think we will see him get used effectively in redzone situations. Unfortunately, our only redzone situation last night became "and goal to go" from the 30 before we could target Graham for a short td.

That said, if I was a great pass catching playmaker and was acquired by the Seahawks I would cry myself to sleep. Enjoy the short trip to obscurity, Graham. Hopefully the Seahawks can get you a ring as a consolation prize. Then, maybe you can become the new Vern Fonk spokesman.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
minormillikin":cxltcnyn said:
I think we will see him get used effectively in redzone situations. Unfortunately, our only redzone situation last night became "and goal to go" from the 30 before we could target Graham for a short td.

That said, if I was a great pass catching playmaker and was acquired by the Seahawks I would cry myself to sleep. Enjoy the short trip to obscurity, Graham. Hopefully the Seahawks can get you a ring as a consolation prize. Then, maybe you can become the new Vern Fonk spokesman.

Isnt he our leading receiver?

I could be wrong, but isnt he on pace for 80 plus catches?

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Graham hasn't popped a lot. But thats more cause RW is scrambling for his life back there.

If there was any area in which to criticize JG, I think he needs to get a little more active during the "scramble drill" He's said in the past in NO, it was either 3 steps or 5 steps and the ball was out.... In seattle its usually 3-5 seconds of RW making magic happen after 2 of the 5 olineman whiff on their blocks. Keep the movement going jg, Lockett did a good job of that last night, and Doug is the best at it.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
The elephant in the room last night was Rawls. The Lions showed no respect to him and brought their outside linebackers to squeeze Wilson all night. This doesn't happen if beast mode plays. We desperately need a successor.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":24ey6fv7 said:
The elephant in the room last night was Rawls. The Lions showed no respect to him and brought their outside linebackers to squeeze Wilson all night. This doesn't happen if beast mode plays. We desperately need a successor.

No, we desperately need a healthy beast mode. LEt's worry about the successor and next yeazr,,,, you know next year.

hawk45

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":8tljv48c said:

We're getting a glimpse of the future when a mortal back plays behind this line.

Thus is Cable's status as genius finally laid to rest.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
hawk45":28xpic8w said:
seahawk12thman":28xpic8w said:

We're getting a glimpse of the future when a mortal back plays behind this line.

Again how many times do we need to have this conversation. The reason we have the defense we do with 9 of the starting 11 on SECOND contracts and a QB making 20 plus mil a year is cause we are going bargain shopping on oline.

Cable has a converted TE at RT a converted D lineman at RG and C, a converted RT at RG and okung.....

IT will get better. hopefully. But Cables "lack of" coaching is not the reason he hasn't put more lipstick on this pig yet.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
hawk45":2tyzzr4l said:
seahawk12thman":2tyzzr4l said:

2015:

Lynch: 38 Carries, 3.4 yards per

Rawls 35 Carries, 4.5 per

Marshawn Lynch in 2014: 4.6 per carry.

Am I missing something?

12thbrah

Reaction score
Our Oh-no Line sucks but its also taking too long for plays to develop. Stafford was under the same pressure all game but he got the ball out quickly. Half of those sacks were from Russell holding onto the ball forever. Feels like he needs to scramble around for 10-15 sec before he can find an open guy.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":3cqokxrh said:
Not an easy task replacing a once in a decade running back

justafan

Reaction score
gowazzu02":2lboahn8 said:
hawk45":2lboahn8 said:
seahawk12thman":2lboahn8 said:

Again how many times do we need to have this conversation. The reason we have the defense we do with 9 of the starting 11 on SECOND contracts and a QB making 20 plus mil a year is cause we are going bargain shopping on oline.

Cable has a converted TE at RT a converted D lineman at RG and C, a converted RT at RG and okung.....

IT will get better. hopefully. But Cables "lack of" coaching is not the reason he hasn't put more lipstick on this pig yet.

He picked the groceries and set the table.Who is to blame?
You cant draft tackles and make them guards,udfa guards like bailey and make them tackles,spend draft picks on OLman and have them sit behind DL and college TEs.It has never worked and it isnt working now.
Either you cant evaluate college lineman or you are a bad coach.I think its both.

hawk45

Reaction score
gowazzu02":35z7xg3x said:
hawk45":35z7xg3x said:
seahawk12thman":35z7xg3x said:

Cable has just churned out players when he had had the capital. Carp, Moffit, Britt, his profile is part of the issue.

I agree we should spend more on OL but not with Cable picking them.

JimmyG

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2pbnbv1g said:
hawk45":2pbnbv1g said:
seahawk12thman":2pbnbv1g said:

2015:

Lynch: 38 Carries, 3.4 yards per

Rawls 35 Carries, 4.5 per

Marshawn Lynch in 2014: 4.6 per carry.

Am I missing something?
Yes, you are.

Averaging 4.6 yards per carry when the opposing team is bringing in extra help to stop you (Lynch) is not the same as averaging 4.5 yards per carry when the defense is instead allocating those extra resources to blitzing or befuddling Wilson. The Lions didn't focus on stopping Rawls last night, and he still only had 2.8 YPC.

Now, Wilson had a great game yesterday, but he was pressured a lot. Some of that pressure was a result of Lynch not being back there in my opinion, because the Lions were able to focus less on Rawls and focus more on Wilson. When Lynch/Wilson are both in there, that's harder to do.

You're comparing apples and oranges.

mrt144

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":gxsaqtqb said:

It's hypothetically easier to find serviceable O line men than a once in a generation player who plays the way he does.

Lynch has always made up for the O line and maybe a handful of players can do that.

mrt144

Reaction score
hawk45":1f92yvqv said:
gowazzu02":1f92yvqv said:
hawk45":1f92yvqv said:
seahawk12thman":1f92yvqv said:

Cable has just churned out players when he had had the capital. Carp, Moffit, Britt, his profile is part of the issue.

I agree we should spend more on OL but not with Cable picking them.

I wouldnt be surprised if Cable can't say no to JS through self imposed ego stuff.

If my boss asked me if I could do something that I considered very difficult but plausible I wouldn't say "Naw, come back to me when you've ratcheted down the expectations or given me more to work with" and I would hope that there is enough dialogue between me and my boss that he wouldn't give me really hard tasks in the first place. I think Cable is afraid to say no to a project.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
BTW, when Russell starts to boot leg like in the 2nd half, Lynch's average goes up to about 6.. ok 5.8 I believe.