Bevell's Last Play Call

HawkGA

Reaction score
On the Third and Two to effectively end the game. Love it or hate it? I get that they probably wouldn't have made 2 yards by running, though who'd have thought they'd get 8 yards the previous run. But I hated the call. It was way too risky and almost blew up in his face. I get that it did work so that helps him look like a genius, but I still don't like it.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I mean the alternative was try and run it for 2 yards when the entire game our oline couldn't be relied upon so.........................

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
I didn't like it. It was another of his "looks good on paper" calls that wouldn't translate to the field. He ran a play that we aren't very good at, when our D was giving up big chunks of yardage at a time we needed to kill as much clock as possible.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Loved it.

Come on guys, look at it from a high level, Games on the line you need one first down. Do you A: want the game in the hands of your undrafted rookie FA making his second career start and the worst offensive line in the nfl. OR B: In the hands of RW to make a play?

Loved getting him outside of the pocket, he had the run option, Kearse (wasn't it kearse) is my only problem, throw it to anyone else but dropsy mcgee, but in his defense he did catch it....

justafan

Reaction score
Wilson was head and shoulders the best player on the field.IMO there is nothing wrong with putting the game in his hands.

If we run or play it safe and get stopped, Detroit has it with plenty of time to tie or win the game.

Pete was right there with Bevel putting in his 2 cents so its not just on Bevel.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
He put the ball in the hands of his best player... the opposite of what he did at the Super Bowl. If Lynch was in the backfield it would have been terrible.

I don't "love" the call, but atleast it showed he understood who should be making the last play

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
I don't know about plenty of time. Lions are out of time outs and a run lets the Hawks run down to what, less than 50 seconds or so, right? An incompletion stops the clock. A sack stops the clock at least for a bit (and a sack was definitely possible!).

One thing I would like to see the Seahawks add to their arsenal is the QB sneak. Doubt it would have gone for 2 yards, but safe, barrel ahead and see what you can get.

sutz

Reaction score
So, the one time Bevell actually was the 'smartest guy in the room' and fooled everybody and we rag on him for it?

:laugh:

Hats off to Kearse, too, for making the catch. Should have fallen down in bounds, of course, but kind of a moot point after the first down.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I think it was a heady call by Bevell.

You're basically betting that A) a receiver being uncovered in that situation or B) Wilson scrambling outside and running for the yard has a higher probability of gaining a first than a run play when a defense that has been stopping you in the backfield all day is selling out to stop the run.

And if either of those options don't work Wilson just drops down and the clock runs while you punt.

Of coure if doesn't work everone says Bevell outsmarted himself, but I think it was actually a pretty smart call. If you're going to pass in that situation it's almost always going to be a boot action too, and not even doing that just had the Lions flummoxed.

Really the only thing that I thought was remotely concerning about it was that Wilson let himself get too close to the sideline (you don't want to throw it away and stop the clock, and the closer you get to the sideline a heady defender can toss or shove you out of bounds).

12thbrah

Reaction score
Like the call. Playing to win. Worse that can happen is an incomplete pass and the defense has to hold the Lions offense one more time when they weren't doing anything all game.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
I loved it. I think Pete called Russ over and told him to only throw it if it was wide open. If it wasn't wide open he was to keep it and either take a sack or run for the first down. I think it was a safe play that gave us a better chance of finishing the game right there than running it up the middle and praying for good blocking.

justafan

Reaction score
What was the playcall?It wasnt ran like it was drawn up

chawx

Reaction score
bigtrain21":2mucuams said:
I loved it. I think Pete called Russ over and told him to only throw it if it was wide open. If it wasn't wide open he was to keep it and either take a sack or run for the first down. I think it was a safe play that gave us a better chance of finishing the game right there than running it up the middle and praying for good blocking.

this.

I know a lot of you blindly bash Bevell every chance you get, but that play call at the end was exactly what I was hoping for. Give it to Russ in space and let him atone for his fumbles earlier. Obviously Russ wouldn't have thrown it if there wasn't a 99.9999% chance it was going to be caught.

hawk45

Reaction score
Don't mind it. Fumbles and all I am good with trusting Wilson and taking a chance to seal it.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
It was a broken play.

The end result had little to do with the play call. Which I had no problem with. But a long scramble with sideline pass was not the playcall.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Scottemojo":vy6hfvgo said:
It was a broken play.

The end result had little to do with the play call. Which I had no problem with. But a long scramble with sideline pass was not the playcall.

What do you think the playcall was? Without a play action I'm not really sure what else they could have been going for.

(or was there a play action and I'm just not remembering.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
It showed a lot of trust and faith in Russell, which I'm fine with. I'm sure Russ would have just taken a knee if Kearse wasn't so wide open. You can hammer Bevell for a lot of stuff, but it's undeserved on this play.

justafan

Reaction score
Scottemojo":27jgisao said:
It was a broken play.

It cant tell if it was a designed roll out or not.Wilson starts his dropback to the right,either by design or because he is not going to trust Nowak and Sweezy holding a pocket and starts sprinting out after he hits his 3rd step.Gilliam got smoked as bad as a Olman can.
Broke down so fast

There is a decent all 22 on nfl,com gamecenter in the play by play screen