Observations from the game, a work in progress...

StoneCold

Reaction score
The Oline allowed quite a bit of pressure and the Lions D was in the backfield on running plays too often, but at other times RW had time to throw and there were holes, just not enough of either. Are they getting better?

RW holds the ball too long and appears stuck between, can I trust the Oline to give me time or do I need to run for my life. I think it's a bit of both and it gets him in trouble at times and others allows him to save the day. If our Oline continues to grow we will have a very effective offense.

It's hard to make too much of how well the D played as people keep saying Chicago and Detroit are bad teams, but it's hard to argue with 3 points in 8 quarters. Most concerning was the Lions final drive. I don't know if we were tired or they saw something and were finally able to exploit it or they just strung together some good plays.

Two Bevell calls made me shake my head. Both on 3rd and short. I think it was the second quarter, 3rd and 2 and we end up throwing a long slant to Luke Willson. I don't know if it was the primary, but as it played out, a very low percentage play. The other was the last real play, also 3rd and 2. RW ends up scrambling and hitting a pretty pass to Kearse. Heart in the throat and then a dagger to the Lions. Don't we have some short slant passes that almost always work to get a few yards?

KJ. No one in the stadium knew what was going on. Definitely was a penalty. As a homer I say it was a good no call. Was an amazing moment to witness. From high in the nose bleed seats I see Meagtron grab the pass and rumble to the end zone and I'm certain he will score, but then the ball comes out, bounces free and KJ tips it out. ROAR goes the crowd. Then we wait for the replay. Was he over the line before the fumble? Replay says? Clearly not! ROAR goes the crowd.

An exhausting game to watch, I'm definitely not in game shape :) . Stadium was LOUD. I'm hoarse, tired and happy.

Go Hawks.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
StoneCold":17rs9rg2 said:
Two Bevell calls made me shake my head. Both on 3rd and short. I think it was the second quarter, 3rd and 2 and we end up throwing a long slant to Luke Willson. I don't know if it was the primary, but as it played out, a very low percentage play. The other was the last real play, also 3rd and 2. RW ends up scrambling and hitting a pretty pass to Kearse. Heart in the throat and then a dagger to the Lions. Don't we have some short slant passes that almost always work to get a few yards?

We tried one once and it cost us a SB so now we are scared to death to ever try them again. :sarcasm_off:

I never understand why we do not develop and use the quick slants other than some strange fear Bev possesses over them.......IDK, just boggles my mind. I think I have seen a couple over his time here but certainly not the staple it is for most teams. It is also one of those things you get a lot better w/ practice/usage but we never give them a chance to get there. Just my opinion.

nrayorr

Reaction score
oregonhawkfan":35p6q2x8 said:
StoneCold":35p6q2x8 said:

We tried one once and it cost us a SB so now we are scared to death to ever try them again. :sarcasm_off:

I never understand why we do not develop and use the quick slants other than some strange fear Bev possesses over them.......IDK, just boggles my mind. I think I have seen a couple over his time here but certainly not the staple it is for most teams. It is also one of those things you get a lot better w/ practice/usage but we never give them a chance to get there. Just my opinion.

THIS.

We have to let the ghosts of the past rest. Just because it didn't work once doesn't damn it to never working again. Butler read that play and reacted... it was a good play on his part. However, we need to let it go. Develop more plays to get the ball out of RW's hands quickly. We need to use Jimmy ALOT more because everyone but Jimmy knows that he can't block. Use him on intermediate routes, button hooks, etc. and for goodness sake let's use his height advantage to our gain! He has at least a 4" advantage over those who are covering him and even more if he needs to jump!

bighawk

Reaction score
I am so disappointed in Tom Cable and his experimental O-line. I get converting some lineman to the other side of the ball but why not draft good college lineman and try to make them even better. La'el Collins out of LSU was available to be drafted and he had a 1st round grade on him but they passed on him. I think it is his ego that is getting in the way. Carpenter would sure look good at LG about now. Russell was great and bad at the same time. The defense is looking great but we need to get the quarterback on the ground. my suggestion for the o-line start Okung, Bailey, Lewis, Sweezy, Gilliam it wouldn't hurt.

Basis4day

Reaction score
bighawk":1njwq4f1 said:
I am so disappointed in Tom Cable and his experimental O-line. I get converting some lineman to the other side of the ball but why not draft good college lineman and try to make them even better. La'el Collins out of LSU was available to be drafted and he had a 1st round grade on him but they passed on him. I think it is his ego that is getting in the way. Carpenter would sure look good at LG about now. Russell was great and bad at the same time. The defense is looking great but we need to get the quarterback on the ground. my suggestion for the o-line start Okung, Bailey, Lewis, Sweezy, Gilliam it wouldn't hurt.

La'el Collins' agent specifically said that he would sit out the year if any team drafted him in the later rounds. Every team, not just the Seahawks, chose to not draft him while he was pending questioning regarding the shooting death of a pregnant woman.

Let's not re-write history.

Basis4day

Reaction score
netskier":3bumrrzz said:
I would like to see this line combination tried too.

I'll settle for sending in Bailey as a TE.

OP
OP
S

StoneCold

Reaction score
Just watched the play where RW fumbles and the Lions get their only TD. Who was supposed to block the blitzer? Graham runs right past him and into a short route. Rawls runs around the guy to get into the flat. Seems someone blew an assignment or it was a poorly drawn up play. If Rawls or Graham chip that guy it gives RW a half second more to dump it off or get out of the way.

mrt144

Reaction score
StoneCold":1o40ar6o said:
Just watched the play where RW fumbles and the Lions get their only TD. Who was supposed to block the blitzer? Graham runs right past him and into a short route. Rawls runs around the guy to get into the flat. Seems someone blew an assignment or it was a poorly drawn up play. If Rawls or Graham chip that guy it gives RW a half second more to dump it off or get out of the way.

I said it elsewhere but it really looks like they don't have any familiarity with blitzes and other defenses are going to be like sharks on that.