Anyone Else Surprised We Didn't Get One Sack Yesterday

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I was a bit shocked that the pass rush was unable to get to Stafford last night. The Lions do not have a good OLine.

It looked like a combination of Stafford getting rid of the ball quickly and Detroits line playing well. The rush was revved up, it just seemed like one of those games we were unable to get to him. The pocket was definitely collapsing fast, I just think Detroit did a good job of countering it.

I'm not worried at all about the pass rush, I still think we have one of the best in the NFL. I just envisioned us teeing off on Stafford.

I think we can safely say: Lions OLine > Seahawks OLine

Also on a side note....did Clark play much at all? I can't even recall seeing him out there. I was surprised to see Tuku play a couple snaps on the DLine.

marko358

Reaction score
6 sacks through 4 games, tied for 3rd worst in the NFL. It's the one defensive stat I would like to see improve, even over turnovers. Seeing the opponent getting more 3rd and 14 vs 3rd and 4 would limit the amount of time our defense is on the field. We would be killing their drives a lot sooner.

That being said, I'm just being nitpicky. The defense is playing lights out right now.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
marko358":1uqyoh6s said:
6 sacks through 4 games, tied for 3rd worst in the NFL. It's the one defensive stat I would like to see improve, even over turnovers. Seeing the opponent getting more 3rd and 14 vs 3rd and 4 would limit the amount of time our defense is on the field. We would be killing their drives a lot sooner.

That being said, I'm just being nitpicky. The defense is playing lights out right now.

Really they are... QBs aren't holding the ball long and the underneath and over the top coverage has been fantastic. If QBs want to start waiting for guys to pop open they will start getting hit.

Right now, the pass rush, while not getting sacks, is really strong.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
marko358":2whklbzy said:

Bennett, Irvin, and Avril have been getting pressure all season on opposing QB's. It's the rest of the gang that needs to step it up. Was expecting to see more flash from Clark and Marsh.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Brandon Mebane was out. They probably would have had a sack or two if he was in there. With that said, they were getting pressure on Stafford for the most part. The Lions were sticking with the run more than they do last night. It was odd because their running game was very ineffective most of the game.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1rrgnlq6 said:
marko358":1rrgnlq6 said:

Really they are... QBs aren't holding the ball long and the underneath and over the top coverage has been fantastic. If QBs want to start waiting for guys to pop open they will start getting hit.

This is basically how I feel. Opponents are well aware that the we have an elite pass rush. They are game-planning and calling plays to get the ball out of the QB's hands very quickly. Which is why we saw a ton of RB screens, short dump offs, and quick passes by Detroit last night.

marko358

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3ntcwtnd said:
Opponents are well aware that the rush is coming. They are game-planning and calling plays to get the ball out of the QB's hands very quickly. Which is why we saw a ton of RB screens, short dump offs, and quick passes...

Please forward this quote to Darell Bevell.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
marko358":1z3dissn said:
Hawk-Lock":1z3dissn said:
Opponents are well aware that the rush is coming. They are game-planning and calling plays to get the ball out of the QB's hands very quickly. Which is why we saw a ton of RB screens, short dump offs, and quick passes...

He said that he will implement a few more WR bubble screens into next weeks game plan :D

mistaowen

Reaction score
I think our pass rush has looked terrific this year. Teams aren't throwing deep on us. The ball is coming out so quickly and even then there are people in the QB's face. Cliff Avril's edge speed is ridiculous. I thought Richard dialed up a cool blitz late in the game with a delayed weakside rusher, their RB made a big block, and Stafford had the ball out within seconds.

If teams ever start waiting for deeper developing passes, we should start to see some sacks.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I was surprised, I mean everyone was touting how ferocious our d-line is and add in us playing against a bad Lions o-line, but we didn't get one sack. Yet the Lions patchwork o-line doesn't give up a single 1?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
They were in Stafford's grill all night. Sacks are a very misleading statistic to begin with.. if you hurry the QB's decision making, many times thats as effective as a sack.

Avril and Bennett had great games.. Avril was about a step away from a strip sack in the first half and the pass rush nearly forced a safety in the second half.. there were many other times they came close too.

Alexander

Reaction score
marko358":2o18evdt said:
Hawk-Lock":2o18evdt said:

We did this in the first game against the Rams.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Uncle Si":w89vqyjf said:
marko358":w89vqyjf said:

Good points. Though I am frustrated by lack of sacks last night.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2gl0wzl5 said:
I was a bit shocked that the pass rush was unable to get to Stafford last night. The Lions do not have a good OLine.

It looked like a combination of Stafford getting rid of the ball quickly and Detroits line playing well.

It was Stafford getting rid of the ball quickly. That is standard pass protection. Offensive lines are not generally expected to protect for more than three seconds.

Seafan

Reaction score
No interceptions this season and few sacks. Pressures and passes defensed are all I need. Sacks and Ints just drive up salaries. :3:

kearly

Reaction score
The lack of interceptions is frustrating, but it's also a sign of respect and tentativeness by opposing QBs. That's a good thing.

If Brady had been tentative in the Super Bowl he'd probably have had two fewer interceptions, and one fewer SB ring.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1lxxl5ee said:
Hawk-Lock":1lxxl5ee said:

It looked like a combination of Stafford getting rid of the ball quickly and Detroits line playing well.

It was Stafford getting rid of the ball quickly. That is standard pass protection. Offensive lines are not generally expected to protect for more than three seconds.

Except for ours

But yes, most NFL QB's (like Stafford) help to negate a poor line (like the Lion's) by throwing the ball on time.

byau

Reaction score
Two interesting stats that help quantify/quailfy the above

First: Sack percentage link ->
http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats ... tage/2015/

Seahawks are 20th out of 32: 6 sacks for 112 passing attempts = 5.1 %

So it's pretty middle of the field there. W/e get fewer sacks because there are fewer passing attempts. Still, 20th out of 32 is not where we want to see ourselves

Second: Passes defended Individual Leaders
link -> http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats ... nded/2015/

Look where Seattle comes in: Cliff Avril at # 19 as a D-Line. Everyone else is a CB, S, a few LB. The only Seahawk in the top 20 is a D-Lineman. The next highest D-lineman is JJ Watt (#26) and then the next is Brandon Bair (#46) in the Eagles (who?) . By the way the next Seahawk is Sherman (#71) at 2 (are these stats right? Only defended twice?)

Anyway, the stats seem to back up

1) fewer passes defended
2) passes attempted on us are very quick short screens, they have to be if they are being defended by D-line

That being said what does the eyeball test tell you? I think we should be getting more sacks. However there is a good amount of pressure and the defense as a whole with the line, the DB, the secondary... so far I'm happy the last two games. Almost pitching a shutout two games in a row (minus the two uncharacteristic Russell Wilson fumbles it might have been)

peppersjap

Reaction score
It is mostly the result of the fact we blitz less than almost anybody. Bobby Wagner should have have had a sack but missed and Frank Clark also should have had one. I think Cliff Avril has been a complete beast so far. He had 2 passes deflected. We had pressure but Stafford did a very good job of getting rid of the ball. In my opinion that is the only weakness in Russell Wilson's game. Unfortunately he turns it into a strength. I get so pissed when he starts scrambling around and won't throw the ball away, but then he finds Kearse downfield for 30 yards and I go from cussing to high fives.

byau

Reaction score
peppersjap":3bnkewb6 said:
I get so pissed when Russell starts scrambling around and won't throw the ball away, but then he finds Kearse downfield for 30 yards and I go from cussing to high fives.

heh i bet the same could be said about all those folks who want to see Kearse cut or traded. He makes catches in big time moments