Great win, be grateful

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Yesterday was a perfect example of Murphy's Law. No Marshawn . . . no Mebane . . . THREE fumbles. And we still somehow managed to (1) hold Detroit to 10 points and (2) WIN THE GAME. I am all for constructive criticism, but this is an occasion to appreciate how fortunate we are to be riding a two game win streak. We could be 1-3.

Marshawn has a chance to return on Sunday. The defense is playing at an extremely high level. The offensive line WILL improve as they gain more experience. We have not even scratched the surface of Jimmy Graham as an outside receiving weapon. It's going to happen. Relax and be grateful.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3rxsy9j5 said:
Yesterday was a perfect example of Murphy's Law. No Marshawn . . . no Mebane . . . THREE fumbles. And we still somehow managed to (1) hold Detroit to 10 points and (2) WIN THE GAME. I am all for constructive criticism, but this is an occasion to appreciate how fortunate we are to be riding a two game win streak. We could be 1-3.

Marshawn has a chance to return on Sunday. The defense is playing at an extremely high level. The offensive line WILL improve as they gain more experience. We have not even scratched the surface of Jimmy Graham as an outside receiving weapon. It's going to happen. Relax and be grateful.

What's this? A .netter trying to be positive? Wonders never cease. :mrgreen:

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Agreed, but I wouldn't be so quick to count on offensive improvement. If the OL can't pass protect any better than they've shown, there really is no possibility of improvement. No potential to develop chemistry with WRs, no extra room in the running game, nothing. The OL simply has to improve before anything even begins to fall in to place.

It isn't just giving the line time to "gel," either. Justin Britt's technique at LG is horrendous. He's supposed to be a road grater, but he's close to useless with the amount he wiffs. Gilliam can't stand up to a legitimate bullrush... I could go on. The state of the OL is inexcusable.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Also, losing the turnover ratio 3-1.

Winning despite our OL is nothing we haven't seen before. We looked just as bad vs Houston the year we won it all. Right down to the last-minute defensive play.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Can I be grateful and concerned? Or do I just have to be grateful.

I get confused when you guys tell me how to feel sometimes, please advise.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Seahawks needed this win but the Winless Lions needed it more. They came all out. And if it werent three uncharactistic second half fumbles that bounced the Lions way and for 7 points this game would have been put away long before Wrights bat.

I like it though both teams needed this... Lions needed confidence and I think they will start playing like the 2014 team that could give GB fits, hopefully.

Seahawks needed a close win and that big play by Kam to get back to that never say never, we can win ugly if we have to mentality that kind of has been missing the first two games.

If Seahawks can steal a 10 am win in Cincy, 3-2 looks pretty good moving forward... I feel teams are a focusing on the O-lines inexperience but eventually those guys are going to shape up by the 2nd half.

4 games in it has been horrible but once everything falls into place they are going to be hard to stop, because the Seahawks will start to hit on explosive plays that tend to demoralize the other team.

The Seahawks defense is also going to step I think, the Refs have been looking the other way all year on allowing Olines to hold, but I think the big play by Chancellor is going to feed the dormant beast of all a ball-hawking defense moving forward.

Ugly win but it was needed and it could help both teams moving forward.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":2m5srry1 said:
Agreed, but I wouldn't be so quick to count on offensive improvement. If the OL can't pass protect any better than they've shown, there really is no possibility of improvement. No potential to develop chemistry with WRs, no extra room in the running game, nothing. The OL simply has to improve before anything even begins to fall in to place.

It isn't just giving the line time to "gel," either. Justin Britt's technique at LG is horrendous. He's supposed to be a road grater, but he's close to useless with the amount he wiffs. Gilliam can't stand up to a legitimate bullrush... I could go on. The state of the OL is inexcusable.

With the benefit on hindsight, they would have moved Britt to left guard eight months ago. What they didn't know was how poorly Alvin Bailey was going to play at guard. It's going to take Britt a few more games to get a hang of things. By November, Britt and the offensive line should be playing a lot better as a unit.

bighawk

Reaction score
Russell is amazing but he must protect the ball better. The defense is rounding into shape (big shoutout to Cary Williams) he is an upgrade over Maxwell. I hope Richardson will be back soon we need an injection of speed at WR. Totally revamp line except for Okung.

kearly

Reaction score
I'm hugely grateful for this win, mainly because losing this game would have been devastating.

I am bearish on the OL as it currently exists though. I'm starting to think that Britt just isn't an NFL player, and I think there's a reason Nowak got cut by Jacksonville. Gilliam seems like a system mismatch. Our two best lineman, Okung and Sweezy, are having down years partly because of the struggles around them. And we don't have a blocking TE.

I doubt the OL gets fixed until the offseason. And even then, it will probably only get fixed when the team pumps some money into that area. Cable is okay with veterans, but he has mostly sucked at developing draft picks.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2nqfg7kg said:
Can I be grateful and concerned? Or do I just have to be grateful.

I get confused when you guys tell me how to feel sometimes, please advise.

Everything isn't about you.

byau

Reaction score
Things to be grateful for:

1) Russell: Russell looking more like Russell we know. I am not worried about the fumbles going forward. This is the first game he really tried to be himself, it will get better. (I *AM* worried about him more because of that o-line......)

2) Jimmy: Evolution of Jimmy: I expect an up-and-down process as Russell and Jimmy figure things out. As long as the baseline continues to increase. In this case, I am looking for awareness on Jimmy's part during scramble time. I don't think he can do a scramble drill, just not accustomed to it yet. And awareness on Russell and Devell's part on running some very quick plays to Jimmy and let him go for the ball. On both parts I expect it to get better. That's awesome. (still worried that O-line can't even get Russell 2 seconds - maybe with some quick passes to Jimmy that'll settle things down more).

3) Receiving Corps: besides the fumbles, Russell had a great game. And it's because all the guys can run a scramble drill. Looking more like the Patriots working in the entire receiving corps.

4) LOB: Kam and Earl - Amazing, and still getting in their groove. And Sherman/Williams. For Sherman: I think two receivers got two on him. That's really not a whole lot for what amounts to a gunslinging passing offense. For Williams, I think he slipped on one or two. But again for a gunslinging offense, they got less yardage then the run-happy Seahawks. That really says something

5) Wagner and KJ: making lots of plays, wow. Wagner is so good

6) D-line: Bennett and Avril especially. WOW. And what about rookie Frank Clark, I think I read some people saying he's still has a ways to go, but come on he's a rookie that is getting double teamed. Meriting a double team leaves it open for some of our other guys like Wagner.

7) KILLER DEFENSE: Okay I have already named everyone, but let's state it again. Pretty close to a shut-out if you minus Russell's very uncharacteristic fumble turnovers. How many fumbles did he have last year? And how many did he lose? I think the announcers said he lost 0 of 11 fumbles last year?

8 ) Hauschka: MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!

9) Jon Ryan: over-the-shoulder punt, fumbled into the endzone...WHAT?!

10) Tyler Lockett: so blatantly punting and kicking away from him? After the fumble touchdown by the Lions, on the following kickoff did you see that the kicker even slipped and fell on his butt trying to keep the kick away from Tyler? Tyler getting into these guys heads doing things they don't normally do will pay off. When a single player forces the other team to strategize based on that single player, you already are in their heads.

11) A WIN with an asterik: because I want something to keep the chip on our shoulder and to draw attention away from all the things to be grateful for. I'm sure I'm being optimistic but if others around the league focus on an asterik win: that we should have lost because KJ batted the ball out illegally (correctable) or that we almost blew the game because Russell fumbled (correctable) then the focus won't be on the fact that Russell and the receivers looked good, and the defense looked nigh nvulnerable.

That's it for now