O-line ranking ...

Joyodongo

Reaction score
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

According to FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS, our O-line ranks:
- 16/32: run protecion
- 31/32: pass protection
The stats are from 9/29, so with yesterday's great performance maybe we're 32/32 now (in 2014 it was 4/32 run, 24/32 pass, by the way).

This are only stats, but I guess that it's nearly impossible to win a SB with this ...

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Joyodongo":sdjq895b said:

The stats are from 9/29, so with yesterday's great performance maybe we're 32/32 now (in 2014 it was 4/32 run, 24/32 pass, by the way).

This are only stats, but I guess that it's nearly impossible to win a SB with this ...

Small sample size though . . . Rams have the best defensive line in the league. This young offensive line will continue to improve with each passing day. By the end of the year, they should be around average in pass pro.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
According to my "eyes" our Hawks offensive line ranks, last!! Just my IMO.

How we'll manage to keep a winning record with this group protecting and opening lanes will be a success in itself!

Absolutely pathetic!

canfan

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1rdvdfnr said:
Joyodongo":1rdvdfnr said:

Small sample size though . . . Rams have the best defensive line in the league. This young offensive line will continue to improve with each passing day. By the end of the year, they should be around average in pass pro.

This line could improve exponentially and still be ranked #32. There are 3 SEC teams with more polished offensive lines right now.

HawkerD

Reaction score
They may eventually come together but it will be at a relatively low ceiling. From a O-Line talent level they just don't have it.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
IMO we rank close to last, if not last.

Philly, KC, Indy and SF are pretty comparable to us.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":37e1889v said:

SF looks a lot worse than us right now. Nowak is a much better player than Marcus Martin, for example. Gilliam is a much better player than Pears.

HawkMark1976

Reaction score
I have never seen such a dissolving O line as I saw last night when the Hawks were playing the 1970s Steelers Defense. Oh wait.....it was the 2015 Lions we played last night. Detroit's Defense came into the game missing defensive players out with injuries and as the game went on and they lost more Lions to injuries their D was STILL fierce beyond belief. Can we get Steve August and Walter Jones out of retirement to play next week? :(

As long as the O line cannot keep a passing pocket for the QB, I pray Russell Wilson can keep running for his life and avoid a catastrophic injury. This season will shall see Wilson run for over 1,000 yards from line of scrimmage and another 1,000 yards running sideways avoiding defenders. ;)

Unless the O line improves DRAMATICALLY in the next 4 games, the Hawks will be lucky to be 9-7 at the end of the year.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
HawkMark1976":247jje1f said:
I have never seen such a dissolving O line as I saw last night when the Hawks were playing the 1970s Steelers Defense. Oh wait.....it was the 2015 Lions we played last night. Detroit's Defense came into the game missing defensive players out with injuries and as the game went on and they lost more Lions to injuries their D was STILL fierce beyond belief. Can we get Steve August and Walter Jones out of retirement to play next week? :(

As long as the O line cannot keep a passing pocket for the QB, I pray Russell Wilson can keep running for his life and avoid a catastrophic injury. This season will shall see Wilson run for over 1,000 yards from line of scrimmage and another 1,000 yards running sideways avoiding defenders. ;)

Unless the O line improves DRAMATICALLY in the next 4 games, the Hawks will be lucky to be 9-7 at the end of the year.

The sad thing is Wilson is our leading rusher through 4 games

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1tle1w3g said:
Hawk-Lock":1tle1w3g said:

SF looks a lot worse than us right now. Nowak is a much better player than Marcus Martin, for example. Gilliam is a much better player than Pears.

I'm not a film guy, or a guy who goes back and rewatches the game, but I noticed even Okung and Sweezy got beat a few times. On SportsCenter this morning Mark Brunell was breaking down film of our OLine and showed one play where Sweezy got beat pretty bad. I'm well aware of Nowak, Britt and Gilliam's troubles, but is Okung and Sweezy struggling as well?

mrt144

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2ci7zh1z said:
hawknation2015":2ci7zh1z said:
Hawk-Lock":2ci7zh1z said:

I'm not a film guy, or a guy who goes back and rewatches the game, but I noticed even Okung and Sweezy got beat a few times. On SportsCenter this morning Mark Brunell was breaking down film of our OLine and showed one play where Sweezy got beat pretty bad. I'm well aware of Nowak, Britt and Gilliam's troubles, but is Okung and Sweezy struggling as well?

As someone else alluded to, everyone gets beat sometimes but you absolutely can't have at least one player getting beat badly every play and with an average o line, you might get one player beat badly per 3 downs. We are having one player get beat per down almost.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":elksb6au said:
hawknation2015":elksb6au said:
Hawk-Lock":elksb6au said:

Yes, Sweezy has had a really rough start to the year. This has been his worst four-game stretch since his rookie season, IMO. Of course, playing next to a couple first timers in Gilliam and Nowak is not helping him.

OP
OP
Joyodongo

Joyodongo

Reaction score
The sad thing is ... you get rid of your best o-lineman (Max Unger) to get someone (Jimmy Graham) that you don't know how to use (or that doesn't fit in you offensive scheme), so the result is a clear downgrade.
They'd better improve soon or we'll have to play with Travaris Jackson sooner than later ...

*** They just updated the stats and yes, now we're 17/32 run, 32/32 pass :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2kpdka20 said:
hawknation2015":2kpdka20 said:
Hawk-Lock":2kpdka20 said:

Ziggy Ansah wore Okung out all night, abusing him with both speed and power multiple times. I don't know what to think about Okung after seeing that. He was my Great Hope.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":9witqsts said:
Hawk-Lock":9witqsts said:
hawknation2015":9witqsts said:
Hawk-Lock":9witqsts said:

Ziggy Ansah wore Okung out all night, abusing him with both speed and power multiple times. I don't know what to think about Okung after seeing that. He was my Great Hope.

Okung had a really horrible first half of football, probably his worst half since his rookie year, but he bounced back nicely in the second half and played well.

Sweezy's play, on the other hand, deteriorated in the second half. He whiffed on several run blocks and was soundly beaten on the sack-fumble-TD.

xgeoff

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2fg6iv56 said:
Joyodongo":2fg6iv56 said:

The Rams might but the lions and the Bears don't. Chicago got their first sack against us. And this crew made Darryl tap look like an all star. Small sample or not, this line has been extraordinarily bad.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
xgeoff":262fjtcp said:
hawknation2015":262fjtcp said:
Joyodongo":262fjtcp said:

The Rams might but the lions and the Bears don't. Chicago got their first sack against us. And this crew made Darryl tap look like an all star. Small sample or not, this line has been extraordinarily bad.

As I pointed out in the other thread on this issue, only one of the six sacks allowed was the result of a breakdown in protection by the offensive line.

It just happened to be the sack-fumble-TD play due to a bad block by Sweezy and a missed assignment by Gilliam.