Hypothetical... If the penalty had been called.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Had a discussion with a few guys at work today and this came up. Let's say the flag was thrown and the ball was given back to the Lions at the 6" line with 1:40 on the clock.

Would you have rather:

Had the Hawks try and make a goal line stand, milk the clock and force the Lions to take 3?

or

Would you have let them score on the next play, and preserved time for a drive by your offense?

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":1gv6sx82 said:
Had a discussion with a few guys at work today and this came up. Let's say the flag was thrown and the ball was given back to the Lions at the 6" line with 1:40 on the clock.

Would you have rather:

Had the Hawks try and make a goal line stand, milk the clock and force the Lions to take 3?

or

Would you have let them score on the next play, and preserved time for a drive by your offense?

I personally would never allow a team to score.

Too many things can happen:

1. Detroit could fumble or turn it over trying to score from the one. Game over we win.
2. If we "let them score" to preserve time, we have to score a touchdown. No easy task. Too much could go wrong.

I see the angle, but I would never do it.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Faith in Defense or Offense?

I'm defending. Even if it's first and goal from the 1.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2a83kozk said:
Faith in Defense or Offense?

I'm defending. Even if it's first and goal from the 1.

Gold Star.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Kam Chancellor "If there's a blade of grass, we're defending it!"

This defense has stopped good running teams inside the 5 on 1st and goal before. I said it in another post, but there was a stat saying that if the penalty would have been called, Detroit's chances of winning go up 70%. I call B.S. If that penalty would have been called, Detroit offense vs Seattle Defense, the chance of winning for Detroit is 50% at best.

Seattle Seahawks Defense is elite!

Pundits only harp on that 70 number because it makes the whole story more dramatic.

"Non call costs Detroit Lions a win!"

as opposed to:

"Non call would have drug out the game longer and the better team still would have won"

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Play defense, but use all 3 timeouts after each play to conserve time for the offense if needed.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Pete was just on Siriusxm with his weekly spot and said that illegal batting in the end zone hasn't been called in a game in forty years. Its no wonder the ref and everyone else thought it was a great play until a ref that retired years ago called a radio station and whined about the non-call.

I love how Blandino came out shortly after the game and said the call should have been made, but while monitoring the game live, he didn't make the call either. They can stop play from NY where they are monitoring the game and didn't because they all thought it was legal.

Cartire

Reaction score
rideaducati":239nx6pe said:
Pete was just on Siriusxm with his weekly spot and said that illegal batting in the end zone hasn't been called in a game in forty years. Its no wonder the ref and everyone else thought it was a great play until a ref that retired years ago called a radio station and whined about the non-call.

I love how Blandino came out shortly after the game and said the call should have been made, but while monitoring the game live, he didn't make the call either. They can stop play from NY where they are monitoring the game and didn't because they all thought it was legal.

I heard him say this too. All i ever thought about was when punters, MAKE A SMART PLAY, by batting a bobbled snap in the endzone. It caused a safety, but it prevents a touchdown by the other team if they recover. I've seen this happen a bunch through the years, and its always a HEADS UP PLAY.

So, what happened?

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
Except it wouldn't be first and goal from the 1 yard line. It would have been first and goal from the 3 inch long. Stafford probably would have taken the snap and reached over the goal line with the ball to break the plane.

However, with the way the offence performed all game, I still think defending would have been the better choice. Perhaps a false start penalty, a fumbled snap...

Hawkpower

Reaction score
rideaducati":1gneb9we said:

Didnt know this about Blandino.

If so, I would love to hear his rational about why he didnt speak up until the game had been over for 30 minutes.

MVP53

Reaction score
rideaducati":2fpphumm said:

I don't believe that call is reviewable because it's considered a judgement call.

rideaducati

Reaction score
MVP53":1rzw8ij9 said:
rideaducati":1rzw8ij9 said:

I don't believe that call is reviewable because it's considered a judgement call.

They can get in the ear of every official and tell them to throw a flag...they didn't. This is why we're seeing so many really late flags. Hold on, my tinfoil hat just fell off. :2:

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I'm sure the narrative will be whether that play should be reviewable.

But honestly, I've never ever seen this play before. Been watching avidly since the early 80's. Never heard of it. Nobody on the feed mentioned it even minutes after the game was over. No players or coaches on either side argued it or brought it up. No refs even huddled together to discuss it. Nobody knew this was a rule. And most importantly, nobody even expected this to be even a potential foul.

The real question should be: Why should that play be a foul? I'd think that the burden should be proving why something is a foul. In this case, what justification is there to consider knocking a fumbled ball out of bounds illegal to begin with (and in particular why is this ONLY a foul if the ball happens to be batted in an end zone). It's a fumbled ball. Any player should be entitled to manage/handle or otherwise manipulate the ball in whatever manner they choose. It is a live ball.

Why is it illegal batting? Or rather why are players obligated to attempt to recover the ball in play as opposed to directing the ball out of bounds as can be done everywhere else?

If it's me, I'm dumping the rule entirely. It's just such a ridiculously rare occurrence, and it's also counter to how the ball is legally played everywhere else on the field. I could never see this event again in my life. If it's predicated on the 'Holy Roller' play, isn't the disallowing of advancement of a fumble by a player other than the fumbler by the possessing team enough to prevent that?

Cartire

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2w92eerx said:
I'm sure the narrative will be whether that play should be reviewable.

But honestly, I've never ever seen this play before. Been watching avidly since the early 80's. Never heard of it. Nobody on the feed mentioned it even minutes after the game was over. No players or coaches on either side argued it or brought it up. No refs even huddled together to discuss it. Nobody knew this was a rule. And most importantly, nobody even expected this to be even a potential foul.

The real question should be: Why should that play be a foul? I'd think that the burden should be proving why something is a foul. In this case, what justification is there to consider knocking a fumbled ball out of bounds illegal to begin with (and in particular why is this ONLY a foul if the ball happens to be batted in an end zone). It's a fumbled ball. Any player should be entitled to manage/handle or otherwise manipulate the ball in whatever manner they choose. It is a live ball.

Why is it illegal batting? Or rather why are players obligated to attempt to recover the ball in play as opposed to directing the ball out of bounds as can be done everywhere else?

If it's me, I'm dumping the rule entirely. It's just such a ridiculously rare occurrence, and it's also counter to how the ball is legally played everywhere else on the field. I could never see this event again in my life. If it's predicated on the 'Holy Roller' play, isn't the disallowing of advancement of a fumble by a player other than the fumbler by the possessing team enough to prevent that?

The idea makes since for offense going forward. Which is the only rule for batting when not in the endzone. I get that one. But outside of that context, I dont get the reason to prevent batting in the endzone by either team.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
The thing that really irritates me about this is why is this such a big deal. Pundits keep bringing up whether something like this should be reviewable. Ok, we gonna start reviewing pass interference calls? We could have used that last year against KC.

Blandino even said it was a judgement call and brought up that reviewing penalties such as holds and pass interference would be hard to do. Then why did he call ESPN and the NFL network and cause all this BS? I think he lost money on fan deal and was pissed.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":nkl1791p said:
The thing that really irritates me about this is why is this such a big deal.

It's not a big deal in the scheme of things.

It is a big deal today, because it's drama. And drama drives ratings. More discussion means more interest. That's about it really.

It certainly wasn't a big deal during the game when nobody raised it as an issue. Literally is was so abstract of a rule that nobody even realized that anything was wrong with the play.

evergreen

Reaction score
KJ was the only player even near it. I was surprised he didn't just grab it and go out of bounds. This BS might have merit if a Lion was actually close enough to do something about it. In this situation I can't imagine anything more unfair than giving them the ball that they dropped and lost control of back.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The way the game went, it was obvious the defense was our best shot at winning. So you defend as best as you can.