Russell Wilson on pace to be sacked 72 times

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
By comparision, we gave up 49 sacks that horrid year Holmgrens oline was decimated and the team tanked. Last year, the average was 36 sacks.

72 is an absurd number only reached once in the past 10 years. That was the 2007 Raiders, who won 4 games that year.

rideaducati

Reaction score
If he gets sacked that many times, it's on him for not throwing the damn ball. It's amazing how Russell can drop back, hit his back foot and fire the ball away on time in a two minute drill, but somehow doesn't have that same ability for the other 56 minutes of the game. He has got to stop looking for "something better" on every pass play or he will end up taking those sacks needlessly.

I thought I was done yelling "THROW THE DAMN BALL!" at the tv when Tarvaris was beaten out...I wasn't and it is getting frustrating.

The sacks Russell is taking are mostly on him. He tells us that he studies the "great QBs", but so far, he is failing to translate what he should be learning to the field. The best QBs don't try to hold the ball for five seconds on every pass play, but Russell seems to try to do just that.

The offensive line isn't as bad as Russell is making them out to be.

Largent80

Reaction score
Would you rather have sacks, or interceptions / fumbles. Pick your poison.

It is impossible to not see how atrocious this o-line is.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Largent80":30tmbrmj said:
Would you rather have sacks, or interceptions / fumbles. Pick your poison.

It is impossible to not see how atrocious this o-line is.

The line isn't good, but it is far from atrocious and Russell is definitely not doing those guys ANY favors.

We are seeing sacks AND fumbles. I would rather see interceptions because those usually happen further down field.

Largent80

Reaction score
It's pointless to argue about this o-line. I suggest checking out the game again and focusing on just the OL.

I did and it looks way worse than when it did live. Hence the atrocious label, because that is what it is.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Largent80":1ylvqil3 said:
It's pointless to argue about this o-line. I suggest checking out the game again and focusing on just the OL.

I did and it looks way worse than when it did live. Hence the atrocious label, because that is what it is.

6 sacks in the game and you could blame the line for three and Russell for three.

Both the line and Russell are issues right now. Even when the line gives Russell a good pocket to step up in to, he is still bailing out backwards. I haven't gotten to watch this game again, but Russell seems to be a little slow and not as deep in his drop backs when not in the two minute drill which seems to throw the timing of the plays out of whack. It's almost like slow motion until they NEED to score, then everyone tunes in.

When all else fails, I blame Kearse. He is the primary receiver WAY TOO OFTEN and he takes so damn long to get open that Russell has no chance behind the line. Yep, it's all Kearse's fault.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I miss Zack Miller and Mike Robinson.

To me that is the biggest difference. Those guys made up for huge issues. The same issues we have now but without them the line will struggle to improve.

Hopefully someone steps up. Fred Ja ' kson and Luke Willson maybe.

justafan

Reaction score
Counting the sacks doesnt even give you the whole picture.

lobohawk

Reaction score
When blaming Russell for half the sacks, you also leave out all the ones he avoided (I'd say maybe two and really only one fumble on him). The hold-the-ball-to-long meme is getting a bit tired. Yes he does it at times, but to act like that's all he does is a bit much. Especially based off watching just a regular broadcast.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":okvmaxaf said:
By comparision, we gave up 49 sacks that horrid year Holmgrens oline was decimated and the team tanked. Last year, the average was 36 sacks.

72 is an absurd number only reached once in the past 10 years. That was the 2007 Raiders, who won 4 games that year.

72 would be tied for second most since 1969 (with Randall Cunningham in 1986, behind David Carr's 76 in 2002).

It's a lot of sacks over four games, but if I could bet money straight up that the pace would hold I would bet at least five figures. When someone is a quarter of a way from something like this in a complex system and declare that the pace seems like the probable end result then you are likely being unrealistic.

Yes, I get it it. The offensive line sucks and there are resulting problems. It's unlikely this situation will continue the way it is all season, at least to the extreme level it has.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
lobohawk":2mutkd7b said:
When blaming Russell for half the sacks, you also leave out all the ones he avoided (I'd say maybe two and really only one fumble on him). The hold-the-ball-to-long meme is getting a bit tired. Yes he does it at times, but to act like that's all he does is a bit much. Especially based off watching just a regular broadcast.

Russell is a great QB but he is far from being perfect. He's a winner but at times his cautious unwillingness to throw to anyone that is not uncovered is frustrating. He does conntribute to the number of times he is sacked by not getting rid of the ball. It is hard to argue with his success as a QB and much of it is his low number of interceptions, and ability to make something out of nothing by extending the plays. The downside is the large number of sacks and hits he takes which will at some point prove serious. I doubt anyone is saying the sacks are all on him when this OLine is so weak.

No rational argument can be made that the Hawks OLine is close to being adequate or even better than simply awful. They are giving up an average of 4.5 sacks/ game for the 2nd worst total of 18 sacks and 41 QB hits per game, the hits number is in the top ten worst. QB hurries are a constant and they aren't run blocking very well either. I keep hoping to see the much promised improvement Coach Cable says is happening but to my eyes they regressed against the Lions.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Why would they even consider calling a pass play on 3rd down, with a 10 point lead? Detroit barely had 160 yards at that point in the 4th quarter. Run the ball, punt it and make then EARN the 7. Zero excuse for calling a pass play there, especially when Russ could have easily been sacked 10-12 times in that game.
Common sense, easy 10 point win if they don't get that lucky bounce/fumble recovery for a TD. Game was in hand.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
These are the linemen we have drafted in PC&JS era: Russell Okung, James Carpenter, John Moffit, Michael Bowie, J.R. Sweezy, Ryan Seymour, Justin Britt, Jared Smith, Garret Scott, Terry Poole, Mark Glowinski, Kristjan Sokoli.

seahawks08

Reaction score
I heard on the radio about this, I disagree. Past performance is no way or shape guarantees future performance. If RW is sacked so many time, some coaches will be sacked too, with it.

rideaducati

Reaction score
lobohawk":5yzjpbzy said:

I watch coaches film and Russell is holding the ball too long on that too, until they go into two minute drill. Russell just looks a lot smaller on it because they show the whole field. I see that Kearse can't get open in under three seconds. I'll keep saying it because it is true... he needs to be replaced by someone who can get open in under three seconds (Lockett) or someone who provides an immediate mismatch due to his size (Graham or Matthews). Less Kearse Will be better for the Seahawks offense.

If Pete, Bevell, Russell, someone would get a quick passing game going while exploiting the other team with the AVAILABLE players they have that provide mismatches, it would do wonders for the O-line issues. Teams would back the hell off of the blitzing and both passing and running lanes would open up. But sadly, they won't use the personnel that would provide mismatches and we're stuck watching Kearse get smothered all game long and Russell being sacked because Kearse takes too long to get open. They have got to take Kearse out of the mix for being the primary read, he is killing the offense.

Seahawks1Fan

Reaction score
While the sacks are horrible and 72 is an eye popping number, it's not just the sacks that are the problem.
It's also the pressures.
Wilson would have been sacked 10-12 times Monday Night if he wasn't so damn elusive.
I would love to be able to see Wilson drop back in a 5-7 step drop and go through his progressions and hit his open receiver but he simply rarely has the time to do that.

Which is why I get so frustrated that we don't run quicker pass patterns to help Russell get rid of the ball quicker. Remember the Packer game and the Bears game when Wilson starting throwing quicker passes after halftime?
We moved the ball right down the field doing that.

Right now on passing plays it's 1-2-3 duck and start running around trying to make something happen.

I don't think our receivers get separation quick enough and maybe Wilson holds onto the ball a second too long sometimes but I just don't understand people saying that these problems are of Wilson's making.

Any other QB would be in the hospital now with our line :pukeface:

brimsalabim

Reaction score
The really scary thing is the amount of hits he is taking after throwing (and occasionally handing off) the ball.

ringless

Reaction score
rideaducati":1szk43yy said:
lobohawk":1szk43yy said:

I watch coaches film and Russell is holding the ball too long on that too, until they go into two minute drill. Russell just looks a lot smaller on it because they show the whole field. I see that Kearse can't get open in under three seconds. I'll keep saying it because it is true... he needs to be replaced by someone who can get open in under three seconds (Lockett) or someone who provides an immediate mismatch due to his size (Graham or Matthews). Less Kearse Will be better for the Seahawks offense.

If Pete, Bevell, Russell, someone would get a quick passing game going while exploiting the other team with the AVAILABLE players they have that provide mismatches, it would do wonders for the O-line issues. Teams would back the hell off of the blitzing and both passing and running lanes would open up. But sadly, they won't use the personnel that would provide mismatches and we're stuck watching Kearse get smothered all game long and Russell being sacked because Kearse takes too long to get open. They have got to take Kearse out of the mix for being the primary read, he is killing the offense.

The Lions got 5 of their 6 sacks only rushing 4. Wilson was 7/7 against the Blitz for 91 yards.