10 am complaining

HawkGA

Reaction score
Just a little complaint post about the Hawks 10 am start time this week. Playing at Cincy, the regular start time is of course the early game. And for some unknown reason, it would be too onerous to make it a late game, right? Except that this very week, AZ is playing at Detroit and they are the sole late game on Fox. Thanks NFL. Thanks a lot.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
short week, 10 AM. Let's get our bitching in order.

Later this year I will be bitching about how most of the teams coming to the Clink do so off a bye. Fair warning.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Good point about the short week with travel.

ivotuk

Reaction score
The thing that irriates me is this, why do 80% of the games have to play early?

That leaves slim pickings for the afternoon games and a lot times I'll find something else to do because the selection sucks!

Why not split the games up some so that I don't have to get up early (Alaska Time) to see them, and by the time I'm awake, they have snoozers on. It's pointless! Give the fans more selection damnit!

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3bo6l9bk said:

Later this year I will be bitching about how most of the teams coming to the Clink do so off a bye. Fair warning.

We won't have to wait too long. Starts with Carolina.

massari

Reaction score
Wouldn't a game with a Western/Pacific team get better ratings when a game is played at 1pm PT as opposed to 10am PT?

I've never understood this.

ringless

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1q167rlt said:

I found an article that has done research into the affect of a Bye weeks winning percentage. Teams coming off a bye win 52% of the games... Which isn't substantial enough to say it truly gives an advantage.

Cartire

Reaction score
ivotuk":ghrk0tzf said:

That leaves slim pickings for the afternoon games and a lot times I'll find something else to do because the selection sucks!

Why not split the games up some so that I don't have to get up early (Alaska Time) to see them, and by the time I'm awake, they have snoozers on. It's pointless! Give the fans more selection damnit!

I've honestly thought about this too. I'm not in marketing, but I do work with a lot of people who are. So I have a general idea. I do understand the power of hotspots. Which are basically, short spans of extreme high ratings. You can charge the most for this time frame. By putting a high percentage of games, and predominantly east coast, you can heighten the viewer percentage.

Remember, only 2 networks show the NFL during Sunday games, with the exception of Sunday Night. They maximize revenue by getting the most eyes possible on the same ads at one time. The afternoon games are kept small, but marketable (Fox's Americas Game of the Week, yada yada), with West Coast teams, and High Profile Games.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
The NFL could schedule all western teams at 1 PM when they play in the Eastern and Central time zones if they wanted a level playing field for teams on both coasts. They don't.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Oh see I thought it was a post about complaining by 10 am.

"Damn it, this coffee should be punishable by death. And did you see the Seahawks not lose while Marshawn was eating wings up in that box? Didn't he think that *I* wanted some of those wings? What a jerkmode...."

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1c4kofz3 said:

"Damn it, this coffee should be punishable by death. And did you see the Seahawks not lose while Marshawn was eating wings up in that box? Didn't he think that *I* wanted some of those wings? What a jerkmode...."
Shit man, we're complaining on these boards long before 10 AM.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
I hate 10 am games. If I ever move out east this will be the primary reason.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2edd1duo said:
vin.couve12":2edd1duo said:

Shit man, we're complaining on these boards long before 10 AM.
I was thinking the same thing, but I posted it anyway.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
It's such a crock that the nfl hasn't fixed this known issue. But the second the cheatriots complain about back to back trips out west. WERE CHANGING THE RULES!

canfan

Reaction score
ringless":3kbkck69 said:
Scottemojo":3kbkck69 said:

I found an article that has done research into the affect of a Bye weeks winning percentage. Teams coming off a bye win 52% of the games... Which isn't substantial enough to say it truly gives an advantage.

Stop trying to distract us with facts!

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ivotuk":nuphw4c4 said:

They have literally no way to project this in April.

The league tries to put marquee games on in the later time slot, but every year you see teams scheduled for these headline games be terrible and vice-versa.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Scottemojo":37nx21mj said:

I thought this was a bigger deal until I saw all the games are home games and one of the teams off a bye (Arizona) is off the same week as us.

I know that goes against the ever popular stance that the league hates us, but yeah.. not a big factor.

Cartire

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2olqg6kd said:
Scottemojo":2olqg6kd said:

I thought this was a bigger deal until I saw all the games are home games and one of the teams off a bye (Arizona) is off the same week as us.

I know that goes against the ever popular stance that the league hates us, but yeah.. not a big factor.

To be honest, its probably not about hate, its about making our home games competitive. Trying to keep the ratings up, so they give the teams coming in the best chance possible.

Largent80

Reaction score
We've had these body clock arguments around here for years. The game is a 1 pm east coast time so nobody can convince this world traveler about the 3 hour difference.
It's just another excuse. It s playing on the road that is difficult in every sport.