Second Half Defense

SeatownJay

Reaction score
In the first three years of the Russell Wilson Era, the Seahawks allowed 20+ points in the second half once in 56 games, counting regular and postseason. They have now allowed 20+ points in the second half 2 times already this year.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2qhc1xok said:
In the first three years of the Russell Wilson Era, the Seahawks allowed 20+ points in the second half once in 56 games, counting regular and postseason. They have now allowed 20+ points in the second half 2 times already this year.
At first glance, this is concerning. Take away Tyler Eifert, not so much. But, I think all 3 phases of the game have contributed to the apparent breakdown on defense. Lack of offensive execution and production leads to poor defensive performances.

If the offense could have gotten another key first down today, I think the Hawks would have won the game. It took all the time the Bengals could scrape together and a fairly amazing catch by Eifert just to tie the game up.

The Hawks offense also is a factor in losing the Super Bowl. The Defense stopped that potent Patriots offense plenty of times and gave the offense several opportunities to put the game away.

It's a team victory or defeat. Let downs in any phase can lead to misleading stats in other phases.

nsport

Reaction score
I agree it's all phases, including coaching that need to take responsibility for not closing out games. Remember folks - they have given up double digits into what feels like the several games LAST year as well - including the Super Bowl. Recall we even had a 4th quarter lead in the NFCCG and we let them back in. If I'm not mistaken it's been every game this year, too.

This trend has got to stop - nothing worse than a comfortable 4th quarter lead then sweating out a win or a having to deal with a heartbreaking loss. #getyourpooptogetherSeahawks

TwilightError

Reaction score
Can you lose it in the first quarter? No!
Can you lose it in the second quarter? No!
Can you lose it in the third quarter? No!
Can you lose it in the fourth quarter? Yes!!

The Seahawks have lost or almost lost their lead (any lead, one, two or three score leads) on the fourth quarter of all recent games. They are like the antithesis of what they have been for the last three years. Super clutch has become anti-clutch.. I dont know what has happened but something is seriously wrong now. Is it mental? What do they do differently? I sure hope they figure it out.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
TwilightError":2rgws1q9 said:
Can you lose it in the first quarter? No!
Can you lose it in the second quarter? No!
Can you lose it in the third quarter? No!
Can you lose it in the fourth quarter? Yes!!

The Seahawks have lost or almost lost their lead (any lead, one, two or three score leads) on the fourth quarter of all recent games. They are like the antithesis of what they have been for the last three years. Super clutch has become anti-clutch.. I dont know what has happened but something is seriously wrong now. Is it mental? What do they do differently? I sure hope they figure it out.

There is something seriously wrong with Pete's team.......seriously wrong!!!

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
If it hasn't already been said, the defense was on the field way too long from mid-3rd quarter on.

Offense mustering even 1 1st down might well have been enough to get it done in regulation.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":5535tg95 said:
If it hasn't already been said, the defense was on the field way too long from mid-3rd quarter on.

Offense mustering even 1 1st down might well have been enough to get it done in regulation.
Re-read my post. I believe I said that clearly. PC said this in his post game presser as well. One more first down would have likely resulted in victory. They were obviously trying to do more than just the minimal, but did not execute. It's just a shame that it came down to such a slim margin.

We all would have been overly delighted with this team had they pulled out a key victory on the road against a hot team like the Bengals.

I'm not giving up on these guys. I couldn't quit them if I wanted to. Lol. This feels like a suspenseful movie when it seems like the odds are against a favorable ending. Doesn't excite me right now, but hopefully we're coming up on all the action scenes where we will see this thing get resolved. :snack: