Defense keeps giving up late 4th Q drives

cesame

Reaction score
2014 - GB NFCCG. Have the lead but GB ties it with a FG to go to OT
- NE in the SB. 10pt lead in the 4th Q, We all know what happened.

2015 - STL. Up 7 with only minutes remaining, team gives up TD and goes to OT. Rams get another drive in OT for the win.
- DET. Give up late drive to Stafford and company and were inches away from taking the lead before Calvin fumble.
- CIN. Blew a 17pt 4th Q lead

If you are counting at home that is 5 out of the last 7 games this defense has given up late drives in the 4th Q. Teams are executing at their best against this defense in the 4th Q. That's not good.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Defense forgot how to close games. They used to shine in the 4th quarter. Now I just dread the 4th Quarter.

Kris Richard = Gus Bradley.

OP
OP
C

cesame

Reaction score
NewJerseyHawk":1adkizh2 said:
How about getting more than one first down per drive.....defense did more than enough but when is the offense going to step forward??

17pt 4th quarter lead speak for itself.

Kam Chancellor and Cary Williams being awful is another problem. Cary Williams with a "clutch" pass interference on the Bengals' last 4th Q drive which gave them free yards.

justafan

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2x9hu1bk said:
Defense forgot how to close games. They used to shine in the 4th quarter. Now I just dread the 4th Quarter.

Quinn's D did it also.

OP
OP
C

cesame

Reaction score
There's even the loss to Atlanta in the playoffs a few years. The defense gave up a drive then as well and Atlanta won the game on a FG.

The team is and has been susceptible to giving up long drives late in the 4th Q. Teams are executing on this defense when the pressure is supposed to be on them.

White Devil

Reaction score
cesame":2tsnkk7m said:
NewJerseyHawk":2tsnkk7m said:
How about getting more than one first down per drive.....defense did more than enough but when is the offense going to step forward??

Kam Chancellor and Cary Williams being awful is another problem. Cary Williams with a "clutch" pass interference on the Bengals' last 4th Q drive which gave them free yards.

The defense was gassed. 3 and out or a fabulous 5 plays and punt, doesn't help the defense.

They punted on every possession in the 2nd half and OT. That's 7 straight I believe.

That falls directly on the shoulder's of the OC.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Because they are exhausted....

Remember our defense plays with undersized guys that are faster. But if you keep them on the field all day they will get tired.

Shocking after 6 punts in a row, they stop being able to shut down one of the best offenses in the game because they have to hit the QB to be able to stop him?

(Hint: It isn't the defense - we paid our QB millions and millions but the guy controlling the plays is going to make sure we rarely score TDs anyway.)

Vpk0718

Reaction score
justafan":mpolbg1a said:
HawkFan72":mpolbg1a said:

Quinn's D did it also.

It happened rarely under Quinn. But it was a constant problem under Bradley and now it's back.

OP
OP
C

cesame

Reaction score
White Devil":ovtccq5d said:
cesame":ovtccq5d said:
NewJerseyHawk":ovtccq5d said:

The defense was gassed. 3 and out or a fabulous 5 plays and punt, doesn't help the defense.

They punted on every possession in the 2nd half and OT. That's 7 straight I believe.

That falls directly on the shoulder's of the OC.

Bull

The team had plenty of gas in the tank in the 4th Q. They then gave up a 11 play drive for 71 yards. Up to that point every Cincinnati drive had been under two minutes in the 2nd half, so the defense had plenty of rest.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
The defense can't give up these extended drives at the end of games if they want to be considered a legendary defense.

Today's 4th quarter performance was unacceptable. The offense is to blame for this too, but it just can't happen. For all the money spent on that side of the ball, they need a stop when it matters most

OP
OP
C

cesame

Reaction score
I'll say it again

Every Cincinnati drive in the 2nd half was under 2 minutes until they went on a 11 play drive and ended it with a TD to make it 24-21. Up to that point Seattle's defense was on and off the field quick the entire second half. They had plenty of rest.

White Devil

Reaction score
cesame":esklo4qx said:
I'll say it again

Every Cincinnati drive in the 2nd half was under 2 minutes until they went on a 11 play drive and ended it with a TD to make it 24-21. Up to that point Seattle's defense was on and off the field quick the entire second half. They had plenty of rest.

Insanity. The post, not the poster. :2:

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":jfrrtmpj said:

Remember our defense plays with undersized guys that are faster. But if you keep them on the field all day they will get tired.

Shocking after 6 punts in a row, they stop being able to shut down one of the best offenses in the game because they have to hit the QB to be able to stop him?

(Hint: It isn't the defense - we paid our QB millions and millions but the guy controlling the plays is going to make sure we rarely score TDs anyway.)
Undersized? Seahawks defense is not undersized at all! What hurts them is the offense continues to be inconsistent and it puts the defense in a tough spot. Even if your defense is elite, it will not be elite every single drive. Somethings gotta give. But moving the ball effective on offense will put less pressure on or defense. Which stopped entirely in the fourth quarter.

Instead of going 0-100, the offense tried to run out the clock beginning in the fourth quarter. What kind of stupid strategy is that, Bevell?!?! He completely took his foot off the gas!

Bevell could have helped the defense by moving the ball efficiently in the fourth quarter.

OP
OP
C

cesame

Reaction score
White Devil":2yd3rf15 said:
cesame":2yd3rf15 said:
I'll say it again

With you having no comeback to my post I accept your admission of defeat

I'm obviously right

HawkFan72

Reaction score
justafan":38y7083j said:
HawkFan72":38y7083j said:

Quinn's D did it also.

A couple times. Yeah. No Defense is perfect. But the Seahawks D used to clamp down and destroy teams in the 4th Quarter. They would hold teams to 0 or 3 points in the second half on a regular basis under Quinn.

This is a trend that we got used to seeing under Gus Bradley. Quinn fixed the problem, but it's back now. I can handle if if they do it once or twice, but now it has become a regular thing. And that's a problem.

White Devil

Reaction score
cesame":nc1vepxk said:
White Devil":nc1vepxk said:
cesame":nc1vepxk said:
I'll say it again

With you having no comeback to my post I accept your admission of defeat

I'm obviously right

uhm...sure.

Yay!

You win!

RussB

Reaction score
its not just the defense. Offense has to be able to waste time off of the clock late in games too. That was a big issue today. you cant just not do anything on offense in situations like that

mrt144

Reaction score
I hope there are other Ohio State fans on the site who are also having flashbacks to Cooper era football.

The talent was always there but the game management was not. A failure to convert 3rd downs that singularly puts the onus of your defense to succeed isn't fair to the defense or achieving one of the CORE parts of an offense's job.

mrt144

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2vtj9iy7 said:

I'll go even more specific - our defensive line was gassed. We got to Dalton repeatedly in the first half. We barely got to him in the 4th.

This is exactly why you saw more blitzes down the stretch - Richard probably saw that Dalton was doing poorly in the face of pressure and adjusted to his D linemen not getting there and it was a risk that didn't pan out.