Get used to this

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This is a good team.

With a very good defense.

But it has some Achilles heels, and other teams are going to exploit them. Unless "old" Lynch comes back, we are going to see a lot more games like this.

There is still going to be incredible play by the Defense (who did a hell of a job keeping us in it until they just got gassed) and some amazing broken play magic by Wilson - but we going to be a team that plays with an inconsistent offense and we are going to be a team that lets teams back into games.

The signs were there in the other games. Still a good team, but some key weaknesses are going to keep it from touching being great for a few years at least.

Rob12

Reaction score
Yep. While I don't think this team is close to declining, it is going through a valley right now that may last the entire season. There is no guarantee that the Beast we have seen in the past will be the Beast that returns from injury. Personally, I wouldn't at all be surprised if his body is breaking down, and it's not surprising. He's nearing 30, and many of us knew this day was possibly coming (if it's in fact here). He has taken a beating over his career, and is easily one of the most physical backs to ever play the game. I'm not at all saying Lynch is done. It's just that if you've followed this game long enough, you know that some backs fall off a cliff fast. I hope that's not his fate.

So this team will have to carve out somewhat of a new identity on offense, and if today is any indication, they didn't prepare for it. The result of that is probably a 10-6 season. I believe this team can win eight out of their remaining 11 games, and anything can happen in the playoffs.

I am most disappointed in the coaching staff, and to an extent, the front office. They have gambled in the past on the offensive line, and with a possibly declining Lynch, the offense is not prepared. That puts a massive amount of pressure on the defense and special teams.

The sky is not falling, but right now, this team is not elite. We're good, and should get better, but we're not elite.

OP
OP
T

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We have been pretty fortunate.

The SB is the top of the mountain.

A lot of other teams try to climb that one too. Everyone is fighting for the chance to try, makes sense that a few moments of sustained success will be followed by some slips backwards (look at GB, likely this year's SB entry from the NFC....best QB in the league and they took YEARS to make it back,assuming they make it back this year).

The very things about our Coach that made him get us the SB and overcome the adversity to make the next one, are the things that are going to hold this team back. He is an optimist that believes in people, and he is going to want to give Bevell chances.

The more chances Bevell gets, the longer it takes for us to recover and be a great team again. And all the while our own great players are getting older, which starts shutting the window. So that is the problem.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
So everyone thinks that since Beast is declining that our running game is crap now? Did you not see how well Rawls was running today? The kid has a fire and tries to run through people, and succeeds. I really don't get people here sometimes.

dbsn2420

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2biunkij said:
This is a good team.

But it has some Achilles heels, and other teams are going to exploit them. Unless "old" Lynch comes back, we are going to see a lot more games like this.

There is still going to be incredible play by the Defense (who did a hell of a job keeping us in it until they just got gassed) and some amazing broken play magic by Wilson - but we going to be a team that plays with an inconsistent offense and we are going to be a team that lets teams back into games.

The signs were there in the other games. Still a good team, but some key weaknesses are going to keep it from touching being great for a few years at least.

This defense gave up 27 points, 17 in the 4th quarter. Williams and Kam were pathetic in coverage; they let Dalton walk in practically untouched from the 4 yard line. I can't get used to this!

These D issues are amplified by the fact that the Offense in I think the last 6 possessions only produced 1 first down and 0 points. Also something I can't get used to.

Whatever positives from today are overshadowed by some glaring deficiencies!

Rob12

Reaction score
OkieHawk":31ek6sf0 said:
So everyone thinks that since Beast is declining that our running game is crap now? Did you not see how well Rawls was running today? The kid has a fire and tries to run through people, and succeeds. I really don't get people here sometimes.

I never said our run game was crap, and yes, Rawls looked amazing today.

Beast just gives the offense its identity. Defenses act differently when he's on the field. This shouldn't be that hard to see. He is a punishing back that wears defenses down. There's a reason why so many defenders in the league list Lynch as their least favorite player to try and tackle. The run game can and will be good regardless, but you're taking away some other very important variables here when you look at an offense without Lynch.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
Cyrus12":24c2fyox said:
didn't we just go to back to back super bowls? thought the time was now?

We are riding the fine line between really good and great. Really good makes the playoffs, great wins those games. We might even be just a good team.

The margin between the best and the worst teams in the NFL is small. It's how teams like the Giants can go from a SB team to a team with a losing record right back to a SB winning team. In a few short years.

Our time is now. That doesn't mean every year is ours.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Rob12":1dcihoqt said:
OkieHawk":1dcihoqt said:

Beast just gives the offense its identity. Defenses act differently when he's on the field. This shouldn't be that hard to see. He is a punishing back that wears defenses down. There's a reason why so many defenders in the league list Lynch as their least favorite player to try and tackle. The run game can and will be good regardless, but you're taking away some other very important variables here when you look at an offense without Lynch.

Lynch wasn't Beast Mode his first year either...

OP
OP
T

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It is almost like people didn't watch this team the years it had a great defense.

Our defense did not just rip into people from the go, our offense beat down on teams and the defense held them in check. Then as our offense broke through, the opposing offense would become one dimensional and the defense would pin their ears back.

That is when most of the sacks would hit. We actually have a pretty good pass rush.

Our defense in those years did get T/Os, to the tune of at least 1 in 5 opponent drives. But those are historic #s and hardly sustainable.

So now, our defense, which is undersized - holds one of the better offenses down most of the game and even is responsible for 2 TOs, as well as SCORING A TD. But our offense is worthless so constantly punting assures our defense is both exhausted and ineffective in the 4th.

If our defense is exhausted in the 4th because our offense cannot covert, then the fault is on the offense for wearing out the defense and doing nothing to support them, not the defense not not being able to beat multiple laws of physics repeatedly.

Our defense was built to work with an offense that methodically moves the chains. If that offense is not there, the defense is going to wear down. But we repeatedly believe that punting the ball is still an adequate pathway to success. Punting is a form of failure.

Rob12

Reaction score
OkieHawk":cqlqig6f said:
Rob12":cqlqig6f said:
OkieHawk":cqlqig6f said:

Lynch wasn't Beast Mode his first year either...

True. And to be honest, I think Rawls actually has that type of talent. He is a much better runner than I initially thought he was, and like Beast, he doesn't shy away from contact at all.

Greenhell

Reaction score
OkieHawk":1wib635w said:

This. Running game was far from being an issue today. Rawls played fanatic and should have had over 200 yards rushing had we kept our foot on their throats. Ugh!

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
No idea what Lynch has to do with this when Rawls had the most yards rushing in the PC era.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1bpg70x8 said:

A lot of other teams try to climb that one too. Everyone is fighting for the chance to try, makes sense that a few moments of sustained success will be followed by some slips backwards (look at GB, likely this year's SB entry from the NFC....best QB in the league and they took YEARS to make it back,assuming they make it back this year).

The very things about our Coach that made him get us the SB and overcome the adversity to make the next one, are the things that are going to hold this team back. He is an optimist that believes in people, and he is going to want to give Bevell chances.

The more chances Bevell gets, the longer it takes for us to recover and be a great team again. And all the while our own great players are getting older, which starts shutting the window. So that is the problem.

the thing with GB though...If Rodgers gets injured they are absolutely done. I dont think one team relies on their QB more than GB does. If Rodgers was healthy last year he would of shredded our D up with how many mistakes we made.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":1al3dcqu said:
TwistedHusky":1al3dcqu said:

the thing with GB though...If Rodgers gets injured they are absolutely done. I dont think one team relies on their QB more than GB does. If Rodgers was healthy last year he would of shredded our D up with how many mistakes we made.

Like in our week one, 20 point victory last year?

Hawkpower

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3rdi9x1m said:
This is a good team.

What key weaknesses do we have on this team that we didnt have in our previous two?

Wilson is still Wilson.

The oline is still the oline.

Our receivers are still our receivers.

Its all about timing. Im sure Twisted was posting this same topic last year at multiple times too. Football is such a funny game. Imagine if Williams doesnt get that phantom PI. Imagine if they call it correctly on Locketts attempt. We are all PUMPED! one little thing and we have no doomsday posts this week.

It may eventually come true if we all keep predicting this teams doom and gloom. Broken Clocks and all :)

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3sa1jsmd said:
This is a good team.

I'll stick with Petes position that a D is "not very good" if they allow too many explosive plays. Because of that, I don't assess them as 'very good.' Bengals march 80yds in the opening drive, which included two 20+yd plays. Kam seems to have forgotten how to cover TEs as well, and yup, Williams is still a liabilty.

Offense is the worst, but there is Inconsistency on both sides of the ball right now. Let's not forget the hiccups in ST coverage as well.

Plenty to work on.