Why the Jimmy Graham/Russell Wilson marriage will not work..

VegasSeahawkFan

Reaction score
Graham not being able to block will limit the marriage, however Graham doesn't fit Wilson's passing style.

-Wilson is very conservative and only throws to guys that are open, Graham doesn't get good separation and Wilson isn't willing to let Graham go up and make a play for him. Brees routinely either made a pass to get Graham open or just threw it up and Graham would make a play for him.

-Wilson is below average at throwing the ball over the short to intermediate in the middle and this greatly limits Graham's route tree

- Wilson's greatest weakness is pre-snap reads and reading where a blitz is coming from....this is one of Brees' strengths (at least year's past version of Brees) and he could call an audible based off of coverage and get the ball out quickly to Graham

So far Schneider is 0-2 in getting Wilson a credible target to aid in the passing game. I think at this point Schneider needs to worry more about protecting Wilson with solid OL, and realize that Russ' strengths are play action and improvisation, which is impossible w/o an ol. Russ always has been more successful with the technical route runners in his career, even at Wisco and NC St. He needs guys to get open like Baldwin does, not athletic physical freaks like Harvin, Richardson, or Graham. Just who he is.

Exittium

Reaction score
bevell thats why it wont work, BEVELL

I'll say it again Bevell

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Exittium":3ucrqiyl said:
bevell thats why it wont work, BEVELL

I'll say it again Bevell
This. Bevell was given this shiny, new, expensive square peg in the offseason, and what's he done? Picked up a rock and tried to hammer it into a round hole.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
At some point, when a key factor in failure is consistent in spite of other changes - you have to address that factor.

We don't know what Wilson is capable of because we have only one incompetent OC that affects that outcome. We do know that when Wilson is called upon to produce WITHOUT his OC (in hurryup etc), he shines.

Which leads to a reasonable conclusion that his production is being limited by the playcalling of his OC.

At some point, just to help Wilson grow as a QB, we have to get him another OC. Maybe this is the year.

Probably will be at least one more year of this until Pete wakes up, however. Hopefully we will not have lost half our defense by then.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
VegasSeahawkFan":2butr64v said:
Graham not being able to block will limit the marriage, however Graham doesn't fit Wilson's passing style.

-Wilson is very conservative and only throws to guys that are open, Graham doesn't get good separation and Wilson isn't willing to let Graham go up and make a play for him. Brees routinely either made a pass to get Graham open or just threw it up and Graham would make a play for him.

-Wilson is below average at throwing the ball over the short to intermediate in the middle and this greatly limits Graham's route tree

- Wilson's greatest weakness is pre-snap reads and reading where a blitz is coming from....this is one of Brees' strengths (at least year's past version of Brees) and he could call an audible based off of coverage and get the ball out quickly to Graham

So far Schneider is 0-2 in getting Wilson a credible target to aid in the passing game. I think at this point Schneider needs to worry more about protecting Wilson with solid OL, and realize that Russ' strengths are play action and improvisation, which is impossible w/o an ol. Russ always has been more successful with the technical route runners in his career, even at Wisco and NC St. He needs guys to get open like Baldwin does, not athletic physical freaks like Harvin, Richardson, or Graham. Just who he is.
OH MY GOD!, what was Pete, & John thinking?
You need to get ahold of Pete right away, and set him straight on how to gather up a team. :roll:

evergreen

Reaction score
Didn't you kinda think it was this back when you heard the trade? What? Some other teams superstar? Why? It's the antis irbid of what we are. We are who no one els wanted. Where's his grudge? Maybe they can fix it like they did with harvin. They made thus team I guess they can mess it up too. That harvin fiasco cost us dearly, but we seemed to recover. Now what are we gonna do. When Wilson's in trouble he's not looking for 88, he's looking for 15, 89 or 16. I'm not saying any of this is 88s fault. Poor guy. Pound that square peg. They make so many incredible personell moves, the few they mess up on really stand out.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Agree completely, great post. Another example if this regime's bizarre inability to acquire high level pass catchers that fit this offense.

Crizilla

Reaction score
It's obvious Graham can't block so lets just start passing to him a lot more. Try it out. You have to find out at some point.

I miss zach miller

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":ybvrh9jw said:
Agree completely, great post. Another example if this regime's bizarre inability to acquire high level pass catchers that fit this offense.
Wait!, is that snot?, are you crying? :34853_doh:

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
VegasSeahawkFan":1j05wk4h said:
- Wilson's greatest weakness is pre-snap reads and reading where a blitz is coming from....this is one of Brees' strengths (at least year's past version of Brees) and he could call an audible based off of coverage and get the ball out quickly to Graham.

You know this how?

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Simplicity of Seattle's offense also at play here. You have to design plays to get JG open or in a mismatch. At the moment it seems they're mainly trying to just install him into the existing offense.

mistaowen

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":l5etfu1f said:
Simplicity of Seattle's offense also at play here. You have to design plays to get JG open or in a mismatch. At the moment it seems they're mainly trying to just install him into the existing offense.

That's the biggest head scratcher for me so far as well. Watching the Pats yesterday, they frequently had movement pre snap or with route design to get Gronk into open space mismatches, even if he was double teamed beforehand. Then we watch our offense and Jimmy runs 3 yard outs into a space with another WR doing a similar route resulting in even more coverage who don't need to move much. Our play design/routes don't do anything to give our players an advantage. It just feels like, hey, here is this fly route, try to beat your man before Russ gets pressured and then forget your route because it's backyard football time.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":27culgxn said:

They are just trying to install him in the existing offense. Every time I see Graham run Zach Miller's old sideline flare route, guaranteed for zero yards of YAC most times, I have to confront that Jimmy is being seen as a tight end, not a mismatch.