3 games Seahawks have not scored in the final 20 minutes

Tokadub

Reaction score
I was already aware and greatly concerned about this trend after the Lions game, and sure enough here it comes again today VS the Bengals...

We cannot score in the final 20 minutes (AND we have slow starts?)! What used to be one of our greatest strengths with Wilson leading heroic comebacks has now become a fatal flaw. Our offense simply disappears towards the end of games!

We used to be able to rely on Wilson to consistently bail us out of games we should of lost with his amazing skills, it's something that he has been doing since his rookie year! This season we can forget about epic comebacks, we can't score at all when it matters most.

We are unable to secure our comfortable leads, and all those seemingly automatic game winning drives which have been such a staple of Russell Wilson's career now seem impossible with how our Offense has regressed.

Russell Wilson already has 2 overtime losses this season, I believe he was undefeated there in his first 3 years...

Week 2 VS Packers:
Seahawks final scoring play was a 13 yard Touchdown pass to Baldwin with 21 minutes remaining. Seahawks go up 17-13 (first lead of the game) but are unable to score again and ultimately lose 17-27.

Week 4 VS Lions:
Seahawks final scoring play was a 52 yard Field Goal by Steven Hauschka with 26 minutes remaining. Seahawks go up 13-3 but are unable to score again resulting in some late game drama which could of cost them the game.

Week 5 VS Bengals:
Seahawks final offensive scoring play was a 69 yard Touchdown run by Thomas Rawls with 23 minutes remaining. Seahawks go up 17-7.

Seahawks final scoring play was a 23 yard fumble recovery by Bobby Wagner with 21 minutes remaining. Seahawks go up 24-7 but are unable to score again and ultimately lose in overtime 24-27.

Those are the 3 games in which the Seahawks have not scored in the final 20 minutes this season. If this seems like a small sample size even though we've only played 5 games so far we can add in our final game from last season...

Super Bowl VS Patriots:
Seahawks final scoring play was a 3 yard Touchdown pass to Baldwin with 20 minutes remaining. Seahawks go up 24-14 but are unable to score again and ultimately lose 24-28.

Conclusion:

We have not scored in the final 20 minutes in 4 out of our last 6 games. Of those 4 games we have lost 3 of them one of them being the Super Bowl.

20 minutes is a LONG time, in fact it's 1/3 of the game. We are basically throwing away games with our inability to score late even though our whole philosophy is that "it's not how you start but how you finish".

Well shouldn't finishing a game include scoring at some point? Shouldn't we help relieve some of the pressure off of our defense by having a functional offense? Why do we keep putting the whole game on our defense's shoulders?

Many times (like today) our offense cannot even get 1 or 2 First Downs which is all we need to secure our lead or at least give the Defense a chance to breath.

I'm not blaming this on Wilson, I have been hoping for Bevell to be fired since 2012 when he called numerous horrific games and ultimately cost us the season with a playoff loss to the Falcons and a First Half in which we did not score a single point.

In my opinion Wilson and Lynch have been carrying the team for years despite how bad Bevell and our Offensive Line truly is. I have been watching and complaining about this trend for the past years even when it wasn't so blatantly obvious as it is right now... it has ALWAYS been an issue even though the majority of fans didn't wanna hear it.

The time has come to move on from Bevell he cannot effectively utilize talent or construct the effective game plans and situational calls that his job requires. The big excuse for Bevell has always been the 2nd half adjustments where our team comes to life after the slow starts, I never believed this to begin with... I think it's more Wilson just carrying the team with his phenomenal plays.

But if we can't score at all in the final 20 minutes of a game when Bevell has had hours to make adjustments to exploit what the Defense is doing???

Bevell needs to be fired if our team wants to have any chance to compete without our Defense doing literally EVERYTHING for us. I thought Pete's whole philosophy was about "competition" maybe that doesn't apply to coaches? Bevell should of been gone a LONG time ago if this was a competition.

RussB

Reaction score
True. since the superbowl we cant score in the 4th and seal the deal.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
No killer instinct. I always admired Belichick's mentality of intercourse without grease when his teams are up, but we never seem to do it.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Great observation. The Seahawks used to play their best in the 4th Quarter but this year they lost that magic. Some adjustments need to be made for sure. Because what worked int he past no longer works.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
minormillikin":2xn11mu2 said:
Bevell invented the Prevent Offense.

This. Dude gets a lead then tries to run a whole quarter off the clock, by throwing to the sidelines no less. :roll:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
For a team who prides themselves on how they finish....they haven't finished well since SB49. 2014 Seahawks would have won and the 2013 Seahawks would have won by mile. 2015 Seahawks coughed up another win and turned into a loss. They should be 4-1 right now but are 2-3 instead. Horrible way to finish a game today. Hope it gets corrected soon.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Combine that with our inability to get first downs on 3rd and short, 4th and short.
We used to rely on our D to close out the game, when we were up, but teams have figured us out. Short passes or throw it to Cary Williams side. Our defense is always the same. No variations.
We still have talent. We still have ballers, but we are getting ourselves out of the Playoff picture very fast.
We should be lucky, the Cowboys have been pathetic since Romo went down. But remember, the Falcons and the Panthers are playing two very weak divisions (NFC East, AFC South) and both teams are still undefeated. And both have very bad teams in their own divisions. Falcons and Panthers might win 12 games each. We could win 12 and still not make the playoffs ... This stinks.

DeeHawks

Reaction score
joeseahawks":2i188gzs said:
Combine that with our inability to get first downs on 3rd and short, 4th and short.
We used to rely on our D to close out the game, when we were up, but teams have figured us out. Short passes or throw it to Cary Williams side. Our defense is always the same. No variations.
We still have talent. We still have ballers, but we are getting ourselves out of the Playoff picture very fast.
We should be lucky, the Cowboys have been pathetic since Romo went down. But remember, the Falcons and the Panthers are playing two very weak divisions (NFC East, AFC South) and both teams are still undefeated. And both have very bad teams in their own divisions. Falcons and Panthers might win 12 games each. We could win 12 and still not make the playoffs ... This stinks.
Really? We could win 12 games and not make the playoffs?
UGH... I don't want to think about that scenario at all.
Guess we have to just play it out and see what happens...

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
joeseahawks":1dwzrwn1 said:

Who exactly would be the other card..The vikings?

If you assume both the Falcons and Panthers will make it in and Arizona wins the division, that leaves 1 wildcard slot