The intermediate passing game today

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
In reading through our play-by-play I noticed (again) that our 2-minute offense is extremely efficient.

We have what it takes to score in bunches, quickly.

Our plays today in the final drive of the first half went for 8, 11, 13, 22, and 22 with just one incompletion and only the one run for 8 yards. A full 1/3 of Russell's passing yardage in one, 0:54 second drive. Probably ends in a TD with 20 more seconds. The best part is that all of these passes are in the intermediate range 9-25 yards

Not until OT did we convert a passing play that gained between 9-30 yards, and that was a short catch and run by Fred for 12, a dump-off.

Literally every successful pass play today outside of the 2-minute drill was a shorty or downfield. Absolutely nothing in the mid-range. Zero.

Exittium

Reaction score
Our 2 min drills are usually effective because Wilson just walks the field down range with little to no contact from the roont that is bevell.

OP
OP
LoneHawkFan

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
Exittium":2nev9u3m said:
Our 2 min drills are usually effective because Wilson just walks the field down range with little to no contact from the roont that is bevell.

Which is exactly my point. The best play for me today was the seam pass to Graham 10 yes down the field in the soft spot then yak down to the 5. Unfortunately time ran out and we went FG.

Those routes work for Christ's sake. Call them!

Polk738

Reaction score
I was getting extremely upset over the fact that they just couldn't convert in the 4th, how hard is it to just get a check down for 2 yards? I feel like Bevel wants these long developing plays when all we need is a few for a first down and we can't convert. Isn't that what Fred Jackson should be used for? Why can't Graham exploit a zone? Why does Bennet have to screw us out of 60 yards? Ugh!!!

mrt144

Reaction score
Polk738":13aydu74 said:
I was getting extremely upset over the fact that they just couldn't convert in the 4th, how hard is it to just get a check down for 2 yards? I feel like Bevel wants these long developing plays when all we need is a few for a first down and we can't convert. Isn't that what Fred Jackson should be used for? Why can't Graham exploit a zone? Why does Bennet have to screw us out of 60 yards? Ugh!!!

Bevell is seemingly working backwards on the root of success for Wilson - longer developing plays work when Wilson scrambles and a WR makes space ergo, lets run longer developing plays. Never mind the root of success there is separation from coverage and Wilson being keenly aware of coverage risks in the area before throwing. They don't work as a function of the time it takes to develop.

OP
OP
LoneHawkFan

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
To me it's painfully obvious that when Russ is given the reigns during the 2-minute offense, he just knows what will work. We should be killing it with Graham with the intermediate passing plays. It shouldn't be this difficult.

mikeak

Reaction score
Like OT today?.....
We need an OC that calls a game where the QB makes adjustments. Not an offense run by the QB who by the way isn't paid to figure out what to run on every play

OP
OP
LoneHawkFan

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
mikeak":aszqytzw said:
Like OT today?.....
We need an OC that calls a game where the QB makes adjustments. Not an offense run by the QB who by the way isn't paid to figure out what to run on every play

Not what I'm saying. I'm saying the plays are there- they're in the playbook. Russ is using them when it's his show. Why, during the entire rest of the game, didn't we see these passes? All four passes on that drive were called at the line by Russ and were intermediate, 10-25 yds. None of those outside of that drive with Bevell at at the helm. Zero.