Interesting words in Pete's presser

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
"execute the way we need to, to run the clock, to win this thing"

"one more second"

"outlast them"

This is the exact attitude that changed the tides. When the coaching staff feels it's time to play the clock, we're in trouble. And I'm not saying this particular team is in trouble, I mean any team. It's a prevent offense. It's the lack of a killer instinct. It's the attitude that we can coast to a victory, which translates to just a slight less bit of effort on your blocks, a tiny bit less intensity blasting your assignment off his rocker. And 6 straight punts to end the game.

I'd rather have him on the sidelines screaming at them to stomp on them! Don't let up!

Am I looking too much into this?

RussB

Reaction score
they let their foot off the gas. its not bad to try and let the clock run out when you are leading by 17. But when the other team starts scoring, its time to take some chances and put the game out of reach. they didnt take any chances in the 4th quarter

OP
OP
LoneHawkFan

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
2Cool4School":3hgyta31 said:
they let their foot off the gas. its not bad to try and let the clock run out when you are leading by 17. But when the other team starts scoring, its time to take some chances and put the game out of reach. they didnt take any chances in the 4th quarter

A full quarter is way too much time to pull off the gas against a team this good.

OP
OP
LoneHawkFan

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
2Cool4School":272ia7w5 said:

And it's the attitude that hurts, not the plays themselves. Without 100% focus on execution and 100% effort, you take the chance of getting this result.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
All we had to do is look at Green Bay in the NFC title game. Keep going for broke against teams with firepower to score quickly.

RussB

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":3gg777r9 said:
2Cool4School":3gg777r9 said:

And it's the attitude that hurts, not the plays themselves. Without 100% focus on execution and 100% effort, you take the chance of getting this result.
Exactly my point, it seemed like they just stopped playing hard. and the bengals took advantage

OP
OP
LoneHawkFan

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
2Cool4School":1ypiby6g said:
LoneHawkFan":1ypiby6g said:
2Cool4School":1ypiby6g said:

Exactly my point, it seemed like they just stopped playing hard. and the bengals took advantage

Then we agree…and it starts at the top. Pete said as much without really saying that it was the problem. I think it's been a problem since demoralizing Denver in 48. That's how we should play every game.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We didn't lose because we ran out of time.

We lost because we stopped playing and because, given the chance, we cannot score.

We had the ball against the Rams in OT too. I can see losing because we lost the flip and the Bengals drove the length of the field against a tired defense, finally scoring a TD to put the game away at home.

But that didn't happen. We HAD a chance. We chose not to take it. We lost because we cannot count on the offense to play well, and since the objective of the game is to score more points than the other team, there are consequences to not being able to do that.

This might be on Pete, but this team is worse without Pete. So we have to accept that losing Pete only results in a step back. To me, it sounds like Pete is defending an offensive philosophy that would work if he had a competent OC.

He doesn't so we are going to lose those games until we lose our OC.

chris98251

Reaction score
This is prevent offense really, disregarding that at team can rally, that your making yourself one dimensional in trying to just eat time on the clock, if your moving the ball continue to move the ball, it puts more pressure on the defense and sure you may score points and give them back the ball but again that's additional pressure.

The only time I would change it is if they can score and do a two point conversion to win.

RussB

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":3q8nl18u said:
2Cool4School":3q8nl18u said:
LoneHawkFan":3q8nl18u said:
2Cool4School":3q8nl18u said:

Then we agree…and it starts at the top. Pete said as much without really saying that it was the problem. I think it's been a problem since demoralizing Denver in 48. That's how we should play every game.
Agreed............

OP
OP
LoneHawkFan

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":a6vqcj0c said:
We didn't lose because we ran out of time.

We lost because we stopped playing and because, given the chance, we cannot score.

We had the ball against the Rams in OT too. I can see losing because we lost the flip and the Bengals drove the length of the field against a tired defense, finally scoring a TD to put the game away at home.

But that didn't happen. We HAD a chance. We chose not to take it. We lost because we cannot count on the offense to play well, and since the objective of the game is to score more points than the other team, there are consequences to not being able to do that.

This might be on Pete, but this team is worse without Pete. So we have to accept that losing Pete only results in a step back. To me, it sounds like Pete is defending an offensive philosophy that would work if he had a competent OC.

He doesn't so we are going to lose those games until we lose our OC.

Who said we ran out of time?

The OP is…why did we stop playing? We should be able to count on the offense to play well. They played very well for most of the game. But then why did they stop playing?

They stopped playing because they shared the same attitude that Pete shared with us in his presser. Which is doomed to fail because it extracts the focus and effort it takes to execute properly.

I love Pete, but he has flaws just like the rest of us, he isn't perfect. And if his demeanor was to sit on the lead and slowly drain the clock…well then he got what he deserved.

evergreen

Reaction score
2Cool4School":18woqt6i said:
They threw the long ball to Lockett but too late.

kf3339

Reaction score
The lack of a killer instinct to me has been the problem not just this season, but even last year on too many occasions. The coaches seem to have the attitude that "winning ugly" is a legitimate way to play the game.

There is no reason when you have a team down to go for the jugular and rip their heart out, at least as far as PC and company are concerned. It's one of the main things that really pisses me off about our whole coaching philosophy.

mrt144

Reaction score
kf3339":hk0ldi8i said:
The lack of a killer instinct to me has been the problem not just this season, but even last year on too many occasions. The coaches seem to have the attitude that "winning ugly" is a legitimate way to play the game.

There is no reason when you have a team down to go for the jugular and rip their heart out, at least as far as PC and company are concerned. It's one of the main things that really pisses me off about our whole coaching philosophy.

It's aversion to catastrophic failure which seems to be out of alignment with the underlying risk of it.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Everyone is now a winner and paid..it's hard to keep that FIGHT, and unfortunately we don't have as many FiGHTERS as I thought we did. We'll be a competitive team for years, but I think our window for dominating is over.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Our team has always played the clock. Get a lead, play good defense, and shorten the game by getting first downs. It's a tried and true method for winning.

We just can't convert anymore for some reason. I think it's play calling myself.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
I stole this comment from the times. I think it responds to PC when he said he was "baffled" by what happened.

Baffled? What is there to be baffled about? You could see this coming a mile away when the Hawks decided to try to run out the clock with half the 3rd quarter remaining. I'd say this team isn't going anywhere as long as Bevell is the OC but I'm not sure it matters - Carroll's conservative style is killing them. They've lost 4 of their last 6 and held a 4th quarter lead in every game (and, realistically, it should probably be 5/6 if not for a stroke of luck against Detroit). The only lead they've been able to hold was against the Bears and their hapless JV offense. They've been remarkably consistent at losing leads and the one thing they refuse to do? Try something different. "We're going to a be a running team that controls the ball". No, your not - your going to TRY to be a running team but instead you'll just go 3-and-out over and over and over again. But, hey, don't let that stop you. Just stick with two runs up the middle on every 1st & 2nd down and then have Wilson scramble for his life on 3rd & long when everybody knows it has to be a pass.

It's easy to blame the defense for letting these leads slip away but really, it's almost all on their offense. How many defenses in this league can hold up repeatedly when the offense can't stay on the field for more than 4 downs for almost the entire game. Seattle had one good drive the whole day (the opening one). After that, they scored a field goal with time running out in the half after Cincy went into prevent mode (which just about every team in the league can score against these days) and then Rawls broke a run and they luckily weren't forced to sustain a drive. And that's it. Just pathetic. This team simply cannot play with the lead because every time they get ahead, Carroll suddenly thinks it's 2013 and they can just run out the clock no matter how much time remains - this despite the fact that their run game is almost always ineffective (and it's particularly bad when the defense knows a run is coming - pretty much the final 20 minutes of this game). Even Rawls' numbers were deceptive - he had 90 yards on 2 runs. That didn't stop Seattle from running 21 other times for a grand total of 79 yards.

I would have actually felt better had Cincy scored with about a minute left and Seattle would have been forced to go with the hurry-up and stop effing running it - as least then they would have had a chance. Once it got to OT they were doomed because with no time pressure, they went right back to conceding every 1st and 2nd down with runs up the middle. Seriously, how many times does something not have to work before they stop doing it?

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
A few of you have already mentioned it, but I saw this coming from a mile away (late game let down). We tried to play the possession game with 13+ minutes on the clock. Now, I'm not saying you neglect the clock, but in this situation, field position AND clock are paramount. It doesn't matter if you run a few minutes off the clock and give the Bengals a shorter field to work with. The other team is playing with reckless abandon and we only help their cause by being overly cautious.

I understand PC not wanting to turn the ball over, but we are at the point where we completely neuter ourselves in the 4th quarter. I don't know if it's PC or Bevell or RW, but the offense is completely different at this point in the game. Run-Run-Pass. It's like clock work. We literally don't deviate from the formula and you can see how comfortable the opposing defense becomes.

Here's what makes this even more frustrating; we have the best quarterback in the world to kill a clock and improve field position. RW is smart, mobile, accurate, and a good decision maker. Why are we not letting him make plays? I absolutely trust RW to make a short completion or tuck the ball and run on 1st down. Why must we continually run on 1st down which automatically results in a -3 to 2 yard gain? It's beyond frustrating.

I don't really know what's happening with this team, but I almost feel more comfortable in games when we are losing by a score in the 4th quarter. I'm at the point where I am surprised when we don't blow the lead. That's a huge turn from where we used to be when we owned the 4th quarter.

hawker84

Reaction score
falcongoggles":1775jhpz said:
I stole this comment from the times. I think it responds to PC when he said he was "baffled" by what happened.

Baffled? What is there to be baffled about? You could see this coming a mile away when the Hawks decided to try to run out the clock with half the 3rd quarter remaining. I'd say this team isn't going anywhere as long as Bevell is the OC but I'm not sure it matters - Carroll's conservative style is killing them. They've lost 4 of their last 6 and held a 4th quarter lead in every game (and, realistically, it should probably be 5/6 if not for a stroke of luck against Detroit). The only lead they've been able to hold was against the Bears and their hapless JV offense. They've been remarkably consistent at losing leads and the one thing they refuse to do? Try something different. "We're going to a be a running team that controls the ball". No, your not - your going to TRY to be a running team but instead you'll just go 3-and-out over and over and over again. But, hey, don't let that stop you. Just stick with two runs up the middle on every 1st & 2nd down and then have Wilson scramble for his life on 3rd & long when everybody knows it has to be a pass.

It's easy to blame the defense for letting these leads slip away but really, it's almost all on their offense. How many defenses in this league can hold up repeatedly when the offense can't stay on the field for more than 4 downs for almost the entire game. Seattle had one good drive the whole day (the opening one). After that, they scored a field goal with time running out in the half after Cincy went into prevent mode (which just about every team in the league can score against these days) and then Rawls broke a run and they luckily weren't forced to sustain a drive. And that's it. Just pathetic. This team simply cannot play with the lead because every time they get ahead, Carroll suddenly thinks it's 2013 and they can just run out the clock no matter how much time remains - this despite the fact that their run game is almost always ineffective (and it's particularly bad when the defense knows a run is coming - pretty much the final 20 minutes of this game). Even Rawls' numbers were deceptive - he had 90 yards on 2 runs. That didn't stop Seattle from running 21 other times for a grand total of 79 yards.

I would have actually felt better had Cincy scored with about a minute left and Seattle would have been forced to go with the hurry-up and stop effing running it - as least then they would have had a chance. Once it got to OT they were doomed because with no time pressure, they went right back to conceding every 1st and 2nd down with runs up the middle. Seriously, how many times does something not have to work before they stop doing it?

whole heartedly agree with this entire post. Saw that loss coming a mile away. Pretty bad when you're predicting the outcome of each play and the next down and distance before they even snapped the ball. If I was doing it on my couch at home, you know damn well Cinci was doing it as well.