All 3rd downs in final 20 minutes

Laloosh

Reaction score
Another poster was discussing the fact that we have not scored in the final twenty minutes of the game in something like 4 of our last 6. So, here are the 3rd down plays from the final 20 or so minutes of regulation plus overtime against CIN.

Point of the post being, if we haven't scored, we haven't converted. Let's see if we can figure out why that is. In any case, feel free to discuss just please keep it civil.

Q3 - 02:53 3rd and 3
V1r2ZOx.gif

Q4 - 14:18 3rd and 4
93JiEbL

Q4 - 09:52 3rd and 2
PF35WjT

Q4 - 02:50 3rd and 4
RCakl1p

OT - 07:56 3rd and 8
K80t9O9

mrt144

Reaction score
Over Under on Out Routes on 3rd down across all eligible receivers on all .gifs: 12

Who wants that action before counting?

mrt144

Reaction score
V1r2ZOx.gif

Maybe it's the repetition of available examples but imagine if Fred Jackson cuts right. What is with this pathological commitment to Outs.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
These are some abysmal play calls on 3rd and very manageable. I can't blame Wilson for this.. he's being set up to fail on all of these.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
So is Graham not getting alternative routes? Good post OP. From what is shown, he is getting one route and not read routes. This is very telling. I'm not sure who this on though. Bevell, Wilson or Graham.

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":yniyukrs said:
These are some abysmal play calls on 3rd and very manageable. I can't blame Wilson for this.. he's being set up to fail on all of these.
Does seem like the routes last longer than the protection much of the time.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
mrt144":39s2advc said:
V1r2ZOx.gif

Maybe it's the repetition of available examples but imagine if Fred Jackson cuts right. What is with this pathological commitment to Outs.

In years past, it seems RW would have scampered out to the right along the LoS and pulled one of those defenders off of his respective receiver. Then the easy dump-off for a first down.

If our coaching staff is is trying to train him to play against his instincts, then we have a bigger problem on our hands.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
This augments my argument in another thread. Look how many yards the DB's are off the line of scrimmage. This was why we needed bubble screens. The Bengals knew that Russell targets the middle of the field so they clogged the area. This is on Russell.

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":2ofl58el said:
This augments my argument in another thread. Look how many yards the DB's are off the line of scrimmage. This was why we needed bubble screens. The Bengals knew that Russell targets the middle of the field so they clogged the area. This is on Russell.

I posted in your other thread. I disagree.

aawolf

Reaction score
Thanks, again, Laloosh. This is great. I will say that I give props to the Bengals secondary. They are bracketing all of our options on all of these third downs. That Lockett play in the fourth, which isn't on here, where he was open behind the coverage was our chance to break this game wide open, but Wilson just didn't have enough mustard on it (amid being hit). The Bengals defense really stepped up big in the fourth quarter to limit our passing game big time.
Before seeing this, I was interested in how Graham was not thrown to in these situations, but now I see they had at least two defenders around him on each of these plays. Wilson was probably gun-shy about zipping it to him given the interception earlier.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sorry, but the 5-6 punts to end the game are on Pete.

It's HIS directive to get all conservative and predictable because he still thinks it's 2012 when he actually had an elite defense that could finish games.

Not anymore man, this defense is downright terrible in the 4th quarter, going back to the SB. So Pete has to fundamentally change things with the offense.

Absolutely NO reason we should have lost that game yesterday if the offense could even get 2-3 first downs. But Pete's just content to punt and let his defense stop the other team. Ain't happening.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
This is something I've been saying for awhile now. Seen it so many times on the All 22.

Looking at all of these failed conversions, one thing stands out. Other than one instance with Graham running a shallow cross (which he's not looking for the ball when he was open for a short conversion), there isn't one pattern designed to attack the short middle (LOS + 5 in between the numbers). They're all hitches, outs, flats and deep digs.

Looking at the defense, it looks, as it has in recent weeks, that the defenses are cheating these out/hitch routes. If we don't threaten that short middle zone, defenses are going to cheat away from it making all the other patterns harder. Just look at how deep/quick those LBs are dropping. In much the same way that defenses will cheat on deep routes with QBs that have noodle arms.

marko358

Reaction score
After the long opening 2nd half drive that resulted in an INT, the drives looked like this for the rest of the game:

1 play 0:13
5 plays 3:20
3 plays 1:19
5 plays 2:51
3 plays 1:21
6 plays 3:30
3 plays 2:01

How is a defense on a short week supposed to be effective when they're out there for nearly the entire half and overtime?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
It sure does feel like the Seahawks are refusing to go over the middle. So much green grass in the middle of the field and they continue to just run outs and sideline routes on every play. A couple quick slants in these situations would sure be nice.

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2ja5ifrt said:
It sure does feel like the Seahawks are refusing to go over the middle. So much green grass in the middle of the field and they continue to just run outs and sideline routes on every play. A couple quick slants in these situations would sure be nice.

Wilson was 5/7 in the short middle of the field yesterday for 55 yards. Only 1 of those targets were to a RB (5 to a TE, 1 to a WR, 1 to a RB). But... one was tipped and intercepted.

I've posted about this before and I am really curious how much of this is Pete. Brady, Manning and a few others live and feast on the middle of the field. Russell is extremely accurate when going over the middle statistically, he just doesn't throw to the middle nearly as often (in relation to the rest of his passes) as most other QBs.

[edit]
Russell Wilson in 2015 (over the short middle)

26 / 31, 83.9% cmp, 3 TD, 1 INT, 10.0 Y/A, 127.3 passer rating.

Only 7 of those targets are to running backs.

davidonmi

Reaction score
Brock pointed out that it looked like the Bengals were running the Seahawks wr routes. You can definitely see that here.
These play calls are uninspiring

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Laloosh":2aj0c45l said:
seahawk12thman":2aj0c45l said:

Did you want to refute with content?? :34853_doh:

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":fcmmgfjr said:
Laloosh":fcmmgfjr said:
seahawk12thman":fcmmgfjr said:

You mean, like I did in your thread?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Laloosh":23v0lrys said:
HawkFan72":23v0lrys said:

Wilson was 5/7 in the short middle of the field yesterday for 55 yards. Only 1 of those targets were to a RB (5 to a TE, 1 to a WR, 1 to a RB). But... one was tipped and intercepted.

I've posted about this before and I am really curious how much of this is Pete. Brady, Manning and a few others live and feast on the middle of the field. Russell is extremely accurate when going over the middle statistically, he just doesn't throw to the middle nearly as often (in relation to the rest of his passes) as most other QBs.

[edit]
Russell Wilson in 2015 (over the short middle)

26 / 31, 83.9% cmp, 3 TD, 1 INT, 10.0 Y/A, 127.3 passer rating.

Only 7 of those targets are to running backs.

Very frustrating that they aren't doing this more often, then. Especially in these 3rd down situations. Slants are very hard to cover if you get the inside track. And with how wide open the Bengals were leaving the middle of the field, a quick slant could have gone for 7 yards easy before contact.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Laloosh":4wkfp5lg said:
seahawk12thman":4wkfp5lg said:
Laloosh":4wkfp5lg said:
seahawk12thman":4wkfp5lg said:

You mean, like I did in your thread?

No you didn't. You said nothing. When guys are 10 yards off the line of scrimmage you have to take those yards given. This is elementary football and you can't comprehend this. The sad thing is you don't even know what I am talking about. :34853_doh: