Just my thoughts

justafan

Reaction score
I haven't watched the game again and I dont know I will.So these are just my opinions on the game.

*Oline and Rbs
You cant ask much more from these guys.If you told me they would get 179 yds from the RBs I would say its a win.
What I don't understand is how it didn't translate into more TOP.I was amazed Cinci wasnt gutted and ready to break in the 4th qtr.They didnt and you have to give them credit.

*400 yds of offense.
How does a team get 400 yds of offense and end up with only 16 first downs and 17 points?
I doubt you could find another team that played yesterday that got less out of that kind of production than the Hawks.
I doubt you could blame just one person.On crucial plays in crucial situation it's becoming a pattern.Someone makes a mistake and you could throw a net over the whole offense,players and coaches. But I don't think anyone is blameless.

*Run run pass.
When my team has a 17 point lead and has gutted the other team running the ball all day thats exactly what I want to see. Put the game away.Most teams would have been beaten and ready for the game to be over by that point but to give Cinci credit, they didnt. They played tough.
How many times have we loved that type of O here.We love the tough physical offense that grinds teams down till they are ready to quit.This time they didn't.

*3rd down
Staying on schedule and getting favorable 3rd down situations.This used to be RW mantra and it is a commandment of the ZBS.They did this for most of the 3rd and 4th qtr.But with the game in the balance they couldnt convert.Any QB or OC would have loved to be in that position to ice the game.Again in crucial situations Cinci made the play and the O didnt.
Plenty to blame to go around but if a playcall comes in that isnt right with the game on the line Wilson needs to audible or call time out to make sure they get it right.4 or 5 times we had chances but couldnt do it.Once or twice and it would have taken time off the clock and changed field position.

*D collapse
It happens.It happened with Bradley,it happened with Quinn and its happening with Richard.If the players want to be payed like an elite D they need to rise to the occasion when the games on the line.It wasnt prevent D it was the players not making the play when it mattered most.This happens a lot more than people want to admit.
Many time the D has given up the lead late and RW bails out the D. This year and particularly yesterday that didnt happen.
I love this D but something happens at the end of close games and I dont know the answer but they do get outplayed some games when it matters most.Sometimes the other team is just better in the clutch.

*Team game.
Plenty of blame to go around.You can blame just about anyone and they probably made a mistake that could have changed the game.Really only the people in the film room will know exactly who to blame but at the end of the day Cinci played tough on both sides of the ball when the game was on the line.They were the better team.
There is a lot of posters arguing blaming one or the other.When you blow a 17 point lead both are to blame.One or two plays change the game and nobody on either side made that play.

*Audibles.
Wilson made a couple of great plays recognizing and changing the play.I couldnt tell you how many times from the 1st watching but 2 were obvious.Maybe what we need is a better QB coach if we want him to progress at presnap reads audibles and playing a conventional QB role.

*Wilson in the clutch.
The past few years we have been blessed to watch this team win games that should have probably been lost.Wilsons ability to make plays and win us games was amazing.This year it isnt happening.Im not blaming him for not being the hero every game but this team relied on him the last few years to do these things, in fact we dont get to the SBs without his heroics.

All in all I came away with seeing a lot of good things from this team.This year it just seems like the games we are losing are the same types of games we won in the past.
I had it circled as a loss and without Lynch I would have bet it wouldnt be close.I thought both sides played great at times but with the game on the line Cinci was the better team.I dont think anyone took their foot off the gas or quit playing I just think Cinci played better when it counted.