Wilson thriving under pressure

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
hawknation2015":7fo3uli7 said:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/10/14/russell-wilson-thriving-under-pressure-despite-o-line-issues/

0qpr4VQ

Interestingly, the pressure rate is actually a little lower than it was last season. Hopefully, the young offensive line continues to show improvement in pass pro, coming off a good game for them.

No way, you must be looking at data for Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers. Russ is just "a midget who can't do anything right" :stirthepot:

Fade

Reaction score
hawknation2015":22p4y391 said:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/10/14/russell-wilson-thriving-under-pressure-despite-o-line-issues/
0qpr4VQ
Interestingly, the pressure rate is actually a little lower than it was last season. Hopefully, the young offensive line continues to show improvement in pass pro, coming off a good game for them.
Good to see. RW should progress calling protections as well which should help the O-Line. I feel good about the O-Line going forward if Britt & Gilliam can just get to just below avg level. Nowak has been pretty good overall, and I'm interested in what he will be as a player after he has a season starting under his belt.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Fade":yvrgj05a said:
hawknation2015":yvrgj05a said:
0qpr4VQ
Good to see. RW should progress calling protections as well which should help the O-Line. I feel good about the O-Line going forward if Britt & Gilliam can just get to just below avg level. Nowak has been pretty good overall, and I'm interested in what he will be as a player after he has a season starting under his belt.

Looks like Nowak is improving really quickly. After the 1st a second games, I though 'oh no,' but he turned that around in short order. He's a very touch matchup physically now, and his mental game continues to progress. The Cincy game was very encouraging. Hopefully it wasn't just fluke matchups they benefitted from.

kearly

Reaction score
I don't know if I agree with PFF here. Wilson is completing more passes under pressure but seemingly for far less A/YPA in those situations, as he's taking WAY more sacks than before. Of course the OL is going to get a lot of blame for that, but I've probably seen at least 2 sacks a game on average where I blamed Wilson for the sack.

PFF gives a strong grade because of Wilson's high completion rate in those situations, but I would look closer at A/YPA than they did. Like all of PFF's player grades, there is a subjective element to the grading system, so whether you like Wilson under pressure or not depends on what you look at in some cases.

What I do love about PFF is the situational stats they sometimes spit out. For example, they mention that Russell's raw YPA in non-play-action throws is at 8.8. That's a phenomenal number for any QB, but it's especially encouraging for Wilson, who's had to lean on play-action like a crutch earlier in his career.

Overall I think Wilson is playing well and showing some good signs. That said, to me it feels he's far less effective at escaping and creating 'magic' so far this year compared to previous years, and he's taking more sacks that I'd put on him than in previous seasons. I'm also disappointed in how he's struggled to connect with open receivers or exploit matchups with Graham. I know he's trying, but I expected better in that regard.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kearly":nbhaj7gt said:
I don't know if I agree with PFF here. Wilson is completing more passes under pressure but seemingly for far less A/YPA in those situations, as he's taking WAY more sacks than before. Of course the OL is going to get a lot of blame for that, but I've probably seen at least 2 sacks a game on average where I blamed Wilson for the sack.

PFF gives a strong grade because of Wilson's high completion rate in those situations, but I would look closer at A/YPA than they did. Like all of PFF's player grades, there is a subjective element to the grading system, so whether you like Wilson under pressure or not depends on what you look at in some cases.

What I do love about PFF is the situational stats they sometimes spit out. For example, they mention that Russell's raw YPA in non-play-action throws is at 8.8. That's a phenomenal number for any QB, but it's especially encouraging for Wilson, who's had to lean on play-action like a crutch earlier in his career.

Overall I think Wilson is playing well and showing some good signs. That said, to me it feels he's far less effective this year at escaping and creating 'magic' so far this year compared to previous years, and he's taking more sacks that I'd put on him than in previous seasons. I'm also disappointed in how he's struggled to connect with open receivers or exploit matchups with Graham. I know he's trying, but I expected better in that regard.

This.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1xp978fb said:

But this is the issue with PFF. It's one persons opinion every game. We've watched the games. Who honestly believes the pass protection was worse last season?

This is the same group that gave Aaron Rodgers' 5-TD performance against Kansas City a 'below average' grade, or named Earl Thomas as one of the worst safety's in the NFL in 2012. There's nothing remotely scientific about their approach. One guy watches the game and gives everyone a mark per play. And then it's promoted as the gospel.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3h0z80q8 said:
hawknation2015":3h0z80q8 said:

But this is the issue with PFF. It's one persons opinion every game. We've watched the games. Who honestly believes the pass protection was worse last season?

This is the same group that gave Aaron Rodgers' 5-TD performance against Kansas City a 'below average' grade, or named Earl Thomas as one of the worst safety's in the NFL in 2012. There's nothing remotely scientific about their approach. One guy watches the game and gives everyone a mark per play. And then it's promoted as the gospel.

I trust their ability to count pressures, which is fairly objective, than to determine overall grades, which is mostly subjective and therefore virtually worthless.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I wouldn't trust them to identify a cheese sandwich if they think that Rodgers game vs KC was 'below average'.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Well then the logical progression would be to do away with the offensive line entirely and just line up in 9WR sets. Long live PFF!

*Yes, yes, illegal formation.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
I don't think anyone is complaining about his completion percentage. The beef people have is about the passes he doesn't throw. The sacks he takes. The times when a receiver comes out of his break and the ball isn't there. Holding onto the ball looking for a big play instead of taking short passes.

This isn't just "haters" or whatever label you want to use in order to pigeonhole people or create a strawman. The Rams knew Wilson didn't dump the ball off, so they simply ignored routes under 5 yards and concentrated on everything deeper. If our opponents can identify tendencies like that, they are things to work on.

Wilson's completion stats are great, but I wish he'd have a bit more faith in the guys around him and throw short to let his guys try to break a tackle instead of eating a sack because nothing opened up down field.