Rescuing Sisyphus: how carolina can finally beat seattle

phillyb

Reaction score
Hey all, as a follow-up to Monday's post highlighting Carolina's roster/scheme weaknesses I've done a little research and drawn up some of what teams (most notably the Packers and Bengals) have done to the Seattle defense to score points. You all may find it interesting; I've more or less highlighted how teams nowadays will marginalize elite cornerbacks by throwing 4 and 5-wide sets out on the field and taking their chances with 3rd-string corners, isolated safeties, or cleared-out zones.

Check it out: http://www.carolinahuddle.com/index.htm ... awks-r654/

The Huddle is one of the best sports sites on the web for content and traffic; feel free to jump in on the discussion! We welcome opposing fans unless they're from New Orleans, in which case they are to be shown no mercy.

OP
OP
P

phillyb

Reaction score
...as an example of all-22 breakdown, btw, here's a screenshot highlighting how james jones's 1st quarter touchdown took advantage of 5 eligible receivers freezing safeties so jones could get open (against richard sherman, of all people.)

edit: derp, how do you attach images to the boards here?

marko358

Reaction score
phillyb":1iq8rpcr said:
...as an example of all-22 breakdown, btw, here's a screenshot highlighting how james jones's 1st quarter touchdown took advantage of 5 eligible receivers freezing safeties so jones could get open (against richard sherman, of all people.)

edit: derp, how do you attach images to the boards here? tags aren't working with a url[/quote]

If you're on a desktop, hover your cursor over the IMG button and it gives you instructions on how to add them.

OP
OP
P

phillyb

Reaction score
marko358":23378f3u said:
phillyb":23378f3u said:

edit: derp, how do you attach images to the boards here? tags aren't working with a url[/quote]

If you're on a desktop, hover your cursor over the IMG button and it gives you instructions on how to add them.[/quote]

yeah i've got it formatted properly, it's just not showing up for some reason.

oh well you lazy bastards will just have to go over there and see for yourselves :mrgreen:

RussB

Reaction score
Not too worried about the panthers. Only the secondary ,Josh norman and tillman are very very good.

Hawks46

Reaction score
It's actually pretty funny, in a sad, pathetic way. We have a knowledgeable writer that didn't want to draw up plays to help out Darrell Bevell. It's laughable that an Offensive Coordinator in the NFL would look at blogs to find out ways to attack a defense. It's also sad because it's true.

What pisses me off most about reading this is that we're seeing how teams are changing to attack our defense. It's working, at least for the time being. I have faith that Richardson will find ways to lock this down, if his personnel will allow it (injuries, etc.). Teams are all doing similar things, so it won't be hard. What makes me mad is that watching our offense, we don't change to attack a specific opponent's defense. Yea, I know that Carroll says we don't change to our opponent but go out and execute, but the sad fact is that we just don't have the talent on the offensive side of the ball to pull this off.

Our offensive is struggling. Badly. Yet we won't change anything. Ever. It's ridiculous.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We have a rookie DC. There are going to be growing pains in learning that new position for him.

Normally we would hope that our offense could cover for the mistakes a green DC is going to make from time to time. Eventually the DC grows in to the role and everyone is better for it.

But our OC is a Peter Principle hire and if not average, below it. Additionally, he does not seem to have great tactical or strategic acumen.

However, the DC is going to have to realize that our team has to win with defense because the offense just isn't much of a threat. So hopefully he can figure this out because sinking or swimming is going to depend on our defense outperforming the average always.

mrt144

Reaction score
Hawks46":28yvyo8o said:
It's actually pretty funny, in a sad, pathetic way. We have a knowledgeable writer that didn't want to draw up plays to help out Darrell Bevell. It's laughable that an Offensive Coordinator in the NFL would look at blogs to find out ways to attack a defense. It's also sad because it's true.

What pisses me off most about reading this is that we're seeing how teams are changing to attack our defense. It's working, at least for the time being. I have faith that Richardson will find ways to lock this down, if his personnel will allow it (injuries, etc.). Teams are all doing similar things, so it won't be hard. What makes me mad is that watching our offense, we don't change to attack a specific opponent's defense. Yea, I know that Carroll says we don't change to our opponent but go out and execute, but the sad fact is that we just don't have the talent on the offensive side of the ball to pull this off.

Our offensive is struggling. Badly. Yet we won't change anything. Ever. It's ridiculous.

Even beyond the scheme and adapting, simply put the front office has treated the offense as an afterthought who rely on Lynch and Wilson in tandem to make it work on offense. There's nothing wrong with that per se, 1 SB win, playoffs every year since Wilson came on board, etc etc but this is easily a foreseeable outcome of MinMaxing your offense - what happens when you lose part of the Max and have a ton of the Min?

I don't think another front office in the NFL would have the balls to try it so kudos on thinking outside of the box, truly. On the other hand you reap what you sow.

kearly

Reaction score
The key to beating Seattle is scoring 24+ points. Carolina is averaging less than half that number against the Seahawks in the Russell-Wilson-era. Barring a total meltdown game from the Seahawks, I just can't see Carolina winning.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
kearly":24f2xp1f said:
The key to beating Seattle is scoring 24+ points. Carolina is averaging less than half that number against the Seahawks in the Russell-Wilson-era. Barring a total meltdown game from the Seahawks, I just can't see Carolina winning.

Good point Kearly. Another key to beating the Seahawk defense is the TE. The Rams used Jared Cook effectively to beat them in 1st week and the Bengals used Eiffert last week with much success. The Panthers do have a good TE in Greg Olson. Feeding Olson will improve the Panthers chances of winning. Unfortunately for the Panthers, Olson is their only receiving threat. They don't have another bonafide weapon receiving wise. The Seahawks will be better prepared to handle Olson due to that.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
hawkfan68":9fj2u61o said:
kearly":9fj2u61o said:

Good point Kearly. Another key to beating the Seahawk defense is the TE. The Rams used Jared Cook effectively to beat them in 1st week and the Bengals used Eiffert last week with much success. The Panthers do have a good TE in Greg Olson. Feeding Olson will improve the Panthers chances of winning. Unfortunately for the Panthers, Olson is their only receiving threat. They don't have another bonafide weapon receiving wise. The Seahawks will be better prepared to handle Olson due to that.

I was wrong about the Seahawks being better prepared to handle Olson. :roll:

OP
OP
P

phillyb

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1w9ogjv4 said:
hawkfan68":1w9ogjv4 said:
kearly":1w9ogjv4 said:

I was wrong about the Seahawks being better prepared to handle Olson. :roll:

second-best day of olsen's career... you'd have destroyed us otherwise. i don't even know how cam completed passes to some of those guys out there, but he pulled it off in the clutch