TampaBay, KC, Houston, Jacksonville & Chicago have in common

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Their offenses are all scoring more points per game than the Seahawk offense.

That also includes Minnesota, and the same Dallas that is benching their QB because they have no WRs and cannot do anything on offense.

In fact, our offense is scoring (according to the #s on teamrankings.com) just above 16 points a game.

What is the average NFL score? around 28.

So if you are wondering how we are not dominating, it might be reasonable to start with those #s.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
We should only need 21 to 24 on average with our play style. We are tied for 21 with Tampa bay in first downs as well, which is not good. Time of possession in the first half is what I think is really killing us 26th in the league. 26th in points in the first half also sucks a fart.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2iqzw4nu said:
Their offenses are all scoring more points per game than the Seahawk offense.

That also includes Minnesota, and the same Dallas that is benching their QB because they have no WRs and cannot do anything on offense.

In fact, our offense is scoring (according to the #s on teamrankings.com) just above 16 points a game.

What is the average NFL score? around 28.

So if you are wondering how we are not dominating, it might be reasonable to start with those #s.

Before I start pulling the numbers and breaking this out, are you comparing Seattle's "offensive" scoring by pulling out scores you don't think the offense is responsible enough for then comparing it against other teams' entire scoring output? Have you applied the same standard to the other teams that you did the Seahawks.

The "average NFL score" is not "around 28". That's a reasonable number for the average score of a winning team, depending on what data you're using for your sample. When you include all scores that number drops substantially. Also, are you adjusting for your subjective Seahawks "points the offense didn't score" in this area as well?

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Quick calculations:

NFL teams have 156 total games in their records as of today and have scored a total of 3,614 points. That's an average score of 23.167 points per game. The Seahawks have scored 111 points in five games, a score of 22.2 points per game.

If I get some time later tonight I'll look at the games of the teams that the OP mentioned and see if I can determine how many points weren't scored by their offenses. I can also do it for some other teams as well, as the numbers can shift all over the place. I'll first need to go back at what the OP is calling 16 points per game, since the Seahawks are averaging 22.2.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Another dumb pointless thread.

Who cares if they have scored more. Some of those teams have good offenses. Have you seen some of the schedules those teams are playing?

OP
OP
T

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Well at least one number is off, the average is 24. It was the average score for winning teams at 28 and since I cannot find that source, I should probably throw that # out. Fair enough.

But the number for average offensive TDs and score is correct.

Or at least according to the www.footballoutsiders.com and www.teamrankings.com #s.

It is still near the bottom by any measure, and if your defense is scoring , as well as giving you short fields to work with - your point total should be higher. But I agree with your point, what does an offensive point constitute?

I would suspect it is just who scores the points and not the context in which the drive was started.