FG Article: PFF Signature Stats of the Week

Laloosh

Reaction score
Kind of interesting weekly discussion between Fieldgulls and one of the PFF guys, providing stats specifically related to the Seahawks. Some other interesting stats in the article but this one was most interesting to me.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2015/10/14/95 ... f-the-week

-- On the year, Russell Wilson has a -4.4 YPA difference with and without play-action. He's actually averaging 8.8 YPA without play-action and only 4.4 YPA with it. This is the biggest negative difference among quarterbacks. His completion percentage also drops when using play-action, going from 73.8% to 57.1%.

kearly

Reaction score
A few factors:

1. Early season small sample size weirdness.

2. Seattle seems to be running fewer play action plays this season compared to years past. Could be wrong but it feels that way. This means smaller sample size and results that can be skewed easily.

3. Defenders probably don't bite as hard for our RBs this year as they did for Lynch in the past.

4. Seattle badly struggled to create explosive plays in the first few games, and those would typically come off play-action.

5. Russell seems more comfortable in a rhythm passing attack since 2014, (but seems to be in trouble when the defense reads the plays and runs the routes for our receivers, which is what happened at the end of the Bengals game).

6. He has not looked as good this year on scramble plays, aside from the Lions game. Probably just some early season weirdness but who knows.

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
kearly":3a3jd780 said:
A few factors:

1. Early season small sample size weirdness.

2. Seattle seems to be running fewer play action plays this season compared to years past. Could be wrong but it feels that way. This means smaller sample size and results that can be skewed easily.

3. Defenders probably don't bite as hard for our RBs this year as they did for Lynch in the past.

4. Seattle badly struggled to create explosive plays in the first few games, and those would typically come off play-action.

5. Russell seems more comfortable in a rhythm passing attack since 2014, (but seems to be in trouble when the defense reads the plays and runs the routes for our receivers, which is what happened at the end of the Bengals game).

6. He has not looked as good this year on scramble plays, aside from the Lions game. Probably just some early season weirdness but who knows.

Fair.

We're on pace to throw less from under center though I do know we run some play action out of the shotgun.

A5lL7N2

2014 we had 116 total passes from under center. Currently on pace for 103. No idea what percentage of our shotgun snaps are PA.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Interesting that you bring this up.

I recently read a MMBQ article where Aaron Donald said Seattle OL was tipping pass plays based on their stance/technique:

Even though it was first down and there were tight ends outside both offensive tackles, Donald knew it was a pass. “If you look, everything is light up top,” Donald says, pointing the laser over each blocker, one by one. “Two-point stance, light, light, two-point. So you’re thinking pass already.”

This was Donald's review of last year's tape; thus, he spotted that giveaway as a rookie. If true, that's a pretty big indictment of Tom Cable's coaching IMO. But not really enough info here to extrapolate much, and I'm by no means an OL expert like others on the forum so perhaps this is more common than I think.

Other thing I'll mention is that I think teams are just generally defending the bootleg pretty well. Always seems to be a defender in Russell's face as soon as he fakes the handoff and starts to peel out. Maybe why we don't run play-action as much anymore from under center.

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
DavidSeven":21xzrwo5 said:
Interesting that you bring this up.

I recently read a MMBQ article where Aaron Donald said Seattle OL was tipping pass plays based on their stance/technique:

Even though it was first down and there were tight ends outside both offensive tackles, Donald knew it was a pass. “If you look, everything is light up top,” Donald says, pointing the laser over each blocker, one by one. “Two-point stance, light, light, two-point. So you’re thinking pass already.”

This was Donald's review of last year's tape; thus, he spotted that giveaway as a rookie. If true, that's a pretty big indictment of Tom Cable's coaching IMO. But not really enough info here to extrapolate much, and I'm by no means an OL expert like others on the forum so perhaps this is more common than I think.

Other thing I'll mention is that I think teams are just generally defending the bootleg pretty well. Always seems to be a defender in Russell's face as soon as he fakes the handoff and starts to peel out. Maybe why we don't run play-action as much anymore from under center.

Starting with Detroit, seems like teams are blitzing a safety or corner to blow up the bootleg. Cinci did it too.