Are we screwed with Wilson's contract?

FanSince82

Reaction score
Hate to say it, but he's overpaid. I think more people feel this way but their emotional feelings about Russ won't allow them to admit it.

Now we've got a $120m QB who can't pass well from the pocket.

Gametime

Reaction score
I know right! Hate seeing him blow 4th quarter leads. Not like the defense didn't get paid and go full potato the moment they did. Sad.

kpak76

Reaction score
That line......

Russ did what he could. That o-line on the other hand. I'm all for seeing what Rawls has as full time starter. Lynch looks like he's lost a little on his step. It could be injury, or it be age, but Lynch is not the same.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
kpak76":2wu6fvdd said:
That line......

Russ did what he could. That o-line on the other hand. I'm all for seeing what Rawls has as full time starter. Lynch looks like he's lost a little on his step. It could be injury, or it be age, but Lynch is not the same.
You cannot blame that loss on the line. Wilson straight up walked himself into a few sacks, pocket presence was absolutely dreadful, you cannot do what Wilson did and expect that he remain clean. This is what I was afraid of when we paid Wilson. I just don't think he's a QB that can carry a team.

Steve2222

Reaction score
It's not Lynch. He's fine. It's the OL. We're watching what might be the worst OL in NFL history. They need to completely ditch the run game. It's waste of downs. Just line up shotgun every play and hope for a prayer.

This season is over though

cover-2

Reaction score
the problem is we keep missing on drafting offensive line prospects, Wilson contract is fine. Britt is a hot mess at LG, we don't have a legit starting NFL caliber OC, and Sweezy is hit or miss at RG.

MrThortan

Reaction score
I am going to buy a 120 million dollar car, but only get liability for insurance instead of full coverage. Blaming Russell for all the woes on this team is ridiculous. There are many problems on both sides of the ball.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
MrThortan":279n8g5m said:
I am going to make a 120 million dollar car, but only get liability for insurance instead of full coverage. Blaming Russell for all the woes on this team is ridiculous. There are many problems on both sides of the ball.
When you pay a QB 20 MILLION dollars a year you expect them to come up big when you need them. Wilson missed a lot of easy opportunities today, he cannot keep doing that.

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":amybg72k said:
MrThortan":amybg72k said:
I am going to make a 120 million dollar car, but only get liability for insurance instead of full coverage. Blaming Russell for all the woes on this team is ridiculous. There are many problems on both sides of the ball.
When you pay a QB 20 MILLION dollars a year you expect them to come up big when you need them. Wilson missed a lot of easy opportunities today, he cannot keep doing that.
Which ones? Please give a detailed list of the "lot of easy opportunities he missed", seeing as you speak with such conviction. Here, I'll even start for you, deep ball to Lockett. Keep it going Spin.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Right now, Wilson is scoring 1 TD per game in every game but 1 this year.

There are about 15 other QBs that can do better than that in the league now, even with this line.

What we did do is pay someone big money that is going to starve the rest of the team (like what happened to the Ravens with Flacco), assuring we won't be getting better but probably will be getting worse.

20M per year QBs need to score more than 1 TD per game. Wilson is terrible at converting possessions in scoring territory into TDs this year and that is a key reason we are struggling.

But since there isn't a big giant free agent market in competent QBs, we are pretty much stuck overpaying for the results we are getting. (note: we are not really paying him $20M this year in terms of cap hit, so this only matters if he is playing like this next year).

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Claimed he was the best player in the game, then he should play like the best player in the game! Ya open ya mouth, you should back it up!

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":jgt8k6iw said:
Right now, Wilson is scoring 1 TD per game in every game but 1 this year.

There are about 15 other QBs that can do better than that in the league now, even with this line.

What we did do is pay someone big money that is going to starve the rest of the team (like what happened to the Ravens with Flacco), assuring we won't be getting better but probably will be getting worse.

20M per year QBs need to score more than 1 TD per game. Wilson is terrible at converting possessions in scoring territory into TDs this year and that is a key reason we are struggling.

But since there isn't a big giant free agent market in competent QBs, we are pretty much stuck overpaying for the results we are getting. (note: we are not really paying him $20M this year in terms of cap hit, so this only matters if he is playing like this next year).
Where should that money be allocated? While we're at it, Sherm and Earl's contracts are a waste too. Why pay all that money for TWO db's, when they can't completely mask all other defensive defficiancies with they're complete awesomeness. Go on. Solve those problems. Where should we put that money?

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
LymonHawk":3iee10lm said:
Claimed he was the best player in the game, then he should play like the best player in the game! Ya open ya mouth, you should back it up!
When did he ever say that? Now you're just lying silly :D

gmor

Reaction score
Gametime":aoth52ad said:
I know right! Hate seeing him blow 4th quarter leads. Not like the defense didn't get paid and go full potato the moment they did. Sad.
A few first downs to keep the ball in the 4th would be nice. They get paid to do so.

OP
OP
F

FanSince82

Reaction score
MrThortan":26g11qv9 said:
I am going to buy a 120 million dollar car, but only get liability for insurance instead of full coverage. Blaming Russell for all the woes on this team is ridiculous. There are many problems on both sides of the ball.
It's more like buying a car and putting bad wheels on it. No matter how expensive the car, it will break down if the wheels have holes.

Whether it's Russ or the line, we aren't getting anywhere near $20m per season of value out of that contract. We could have got better performance out of a lesser QB with some decent FA oline signings.

We are a dangerously imbalanced team and it's showing.