One Specific Play Call I'll Question

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
With Seattle ahead 20-7, Carolina answers right back and puts together a beautiful 11-play, 80-yd drive to bring it back to 20-14.

After trading 3-and-outs on the next two drives, Seattle gets the ball back with a minute left in the 3rd Q. First play in the 4thQ RW gets it to Jimmy down the right sideline for 45 yes, to the Carolina 33.

Next play is a beauty by Lynch for 17 yds to the 14.

Everyone in the building knows Lynch is going to get the next play again.

THIS is when we need to go play-action and sneak Graham behind the backers who bite on Lynch, and secure a TD. The flow of the game MUST decide the play call. You MUST go play action here. Throw the ball into the end zone. We needed 7 here, not 3.

Two short runs and a sack. We settle for a FG…and lose by 4

To me, that was the play, that was where we missed it. As a coach, an OC, you have to be able to identify those spots, those plays where what you've just done sets up the very next play. Bevell whiffed.

mrt144

Reaction score
Adb in backfield on 3rd 5, JFG runs a 3 yard out which Wilson throws and hits.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Lack of creativity in our offense. Complete lack of creativity.
We have B.J. Daniels ... we need a first down. Can't we use him on some plays to throw? We are not creative. We struggle so much on basic things ... but we don't do much to make things better.
This team is so painful to watch on offense. Massively painful.

Seafan

Reaction score
It isn't just Bevell, a lot of the blame is on RW. And the offense can't help the defense like it used to do so the defense tires out by the 4th. The OL has been a mess but the schedule has been tough. If Russ doesn't become a leader this season is doomed. He needs to fight for first downs and he does not.

OP
OP
LoneHawkFan

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
Seafan":z4u7tgy0 said:
It isn't just Bevell, a lot of the blame is on RW. And the offense can't help the defense like it used to do so the defense tires out by the 4th. The OL has been a mess but the schedule has been tough. If Russ doesn't become a leader this season is doomed. He needs to fight for first downs and he does not.

As an overall concept, I agree completely. In fact, I'm leaning more and more that way.

However, this particular play/ situational play-calling…this is what drives people nuts about Bevell. It just popped out to me today like a fart in church on this play.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
Situational at calling is where the problem is. RW has his faults, i do agree there. But when everyone in the building knows we are going to run, im guessing the defense knows it too. We need to mix the play calling with these formations and take advantage of the defense biting. Our formations are too basic and we still expect to run it down their throats. That isn't happening. We have one of the best red zone threats and have the worst Red Zone percentage in the league. This is unacceptable.

Also, stupid penalties have killed this team in critical spots once again. Holding calls on big runs by Beast. Stupid ass penalties by Lockette. Etc