"There's no communication right now."

Rob12

Reaction score
- Earl Thomas, following the loss to the Carolina Panthers

@Softykjr @ChuckPowellKJR asked Earl about the communication in the secondary on last play: "There is no communication right now."

If that's true, I think this season is toast. If that's true, something is seriously broken with this defense, and it's not a question about talent. It's not a question about anyone losing a step. It goes much, much deeper than that.

That is a SCARY sound bite right there.

CalboHawk

Reaction score
I wonder how much of this is caused by having a rookie Defensive Coordinator who is basically learning on-the-job what his own style will be.

IrishNW

Reaction score
I think this has more to do with the rift in the LOB Kam Chancellor caused with his holdout.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
IrishNW":2io8gef1 said:
I think this has more to do with the rift in the LOB Kam Chancellor caused with his holdout.

I definitely think that's still playing a part.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Thomas is reacting to a fourth difficult loss. Carroll said there was a breakdown in communication on that last defensive play. Some of the players played the scheme correctly based on the coaches' signal, and others played something else. The result was a huge gap in coverage in the end zone.

ExcitableFrayedDugong.gif

Crizilla

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3v3o6mii said:
Thomas is reacting to a fourth difficult loss. Carroll said there was a breakdown in communication on that last defensive play. Some of the players played the scheme correctly based on the coaches' signal, and others played something else. The result was a huge gap in coverage in the end zone.

ExcitableFrayedDugong.gif

that is absolutely shocking to see him that open. And that isn't the first time thats happen this season, obviously. I'm seriously concerned. I don't know what to say.

seabowl

Reaction score
The worst part about it is that Richard was the DB coach and the D backfield is playing their worst in years. I know it's early but he's maybe a better position coach than coordinator.

Actually what makes it even worse is that Carroll is a DB coach too.

Yuk.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Pretty sure that wasn't Kam's man. Looks like the lack of communication on the game winner was between him and Sherm. This defense used to be lauded for their communication. I don't know what the interruption is but Its up to them to fix it.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
This is starting to feel like a lost season to me.

By the time the team figures it out we will be out of contention.

A tough schedule and a slow start will doom you in the NFL.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Hard to argue with that. And I'm usually one of the overly optimistic/denial types. But you're right, it feels like they just don't have it this year. That's football, some years you just don't have it or you don't get the breaks etc.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I believe they were supposed to be playing cover 2 on this play. Thomas and KPL thought they were playing a cover 3.

It's hard to tell without the All-22, but it appears that Sherman, Chancellor, and Wright were all playing the correct assignments.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
These situations always make me a little sad. Kris Richard has and will continue to fail as an NFL DC, but a change won't be made midseason. I expect more of the same until the necessary changes are made. The feeling of inevitability sucks.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
I think they should go back to more man coverage and start pressing more at the LOS. Go back to what made them the LOB in the first place.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
OkieHawk":3csh9el2 said:
I think they should go back to more man coverage and start pressing more at the LOS. Go back to what made them the LOB in the first place.

You can't ask Cary WIlliams to play press man. He simply can't do it.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":3tja7h71 said:
These situations always make me a little sad. Kris Richard has and will continue to fail as an NFL DC, but a change won't be made midseason. I expect more of the same until the necessary changes are made. The feeling of inevitability sucks.

If Jon Snow can still come back to life, this defense littered with All-Pros can rise from the ashes.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3kxymw5l said:
CodeWarrior":3kxymw5l said:

If Jon Snow can still come back to life, this defense littered with All-Pros can rise from the ashes.

My whole point is that it isn't a problem with personnel.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":1hwy56ds said:
OkieHawk":1hwy56ds said:

I agree with that, and another reason why I feel he has to go. I said it in another thread but I feel Shead could play in his stead, he's already a nickel CB.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
OkieHawk":1uau8baf said:
CodeWarrior":1uau8baf said:
OkieHawk":1uau8baf said:

I agree with that, and another reason why I feel he has to go. I said it in another thread but I feel Shead could play in his stead, he's already a nickel CB.

Shead in his stead. Sounds like a campaign slogan. I can get on board with that :th2thumbs:

hawknation2015

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":2rugylf1 said:
hawknation2015":2rugylf1 said:
CodeWarrior":2rugylf1 said:

My whole point is that it isn't a problem with personnel.

The problem is not coaching either. Richard and Seto helped create the LOB, and Carroll is one of the best defensive minds in the game. There have certainly been moments over the last three weeks where the defense was shutting down the opposition.

The problem is rust. They had some turmoil in the off-season -- losing Maxwell and working in Williams, injuries to Sherman, Thomas, and Lane, Chancellor's holdout, etc. -- and are only beginning to get their bearings. It's just a matter of regaining that level of consistency. One thing that should be an easy fix is Chancellor doing a better job communicating their coverage assignments.