Why does no one question the Defensive coordinator?

peppersjap

Reaction score
I know Bevell sucks and the offense continues to under perform but our Defense has been given 4th quarter leads in at least 5 of our games and have blown 3 of those and we all know we got lucky after Stafford drove down the field on us in the Lions games for what looked like another loss so 4. This was a week before he was benched against Arizona. In 3 of those games all we had to do was keep them out of the end zone and in 2 all we had to do was not get beaten deep and in all cases we failed. In the game today Carolina basically had no serious receiving threats except Greg Olsen and who beat us deep on both of the 4th quarter touchdown drives. Not only beat us deep but very badly with our 3 pro bowlers all in the area. I'm just wondering why the very highly paid Defense seems to get a pass?

HansGruber

Reaction score
Because without the defense, we wouldn't even have been in the last few games. It wouldn't even have been close.

The defense has looked outstanding the last few games, they've been making plays left and right. Like that Earl Thomas interception, getting us the ball in scoring range. What happens? Seahawks have another pathetic 3-and-out and settle for a field goal.

It's gotten to the point that every time the offense takes the field, that's when I head for the restroom. I know nothing is going to happen, so I won't miss anything interesting. This offense might actually be worse than in 1992. Just downright pathetic.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
HansGruber":1f7lalqs said:
Because without the defense, we wouldn't even have been in the last few games. It wouldn't even have been close.

The defense has looked outstanding the last few games, they've been making plays left and right. Like that Earl Thomas interception, getting us the ball in scoring range. What happens? Seahawks have another pathetic 3-and-out and settle for a field goal.

It's gotten to the point that every time the offense takes the field, that's when I head for the restroom. I know nothing is going to happen, so I won't miss anything interesting. This offense might actually be worse than in 1992. Just downright pathetic.

Agreed for an Offense that has a QB making 22 million a year it should be better, then again the O-line and WR's are awful. If Wilson can keep his overall numbers where there at now I think he will be a better QB regardless next year. He really hasn't seen any adversity till now if he can keep his head above water and stay at or around a 65% comp percentage, he'll come out the other side a better more experienced QB . With some upgrades at WR and O-line that is.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Ultimately the Seahawks defense forced two turnovers, and we won the turnover battle, yet we still lost. The defense did have a fourth quarter meltdown, however I still put a lot of blame on the offense. They were spotted short fields several times and could not capitalize. They lost in time of possession, yet again -- this time by five minutes. Our third down percentage was a putrid 28 percent and we were only 1 for 3 in the redzone.

OP
OP
P

peppersjap

Reaction score
I think the time of possession was about a 2 minute difference today, very insignificant. Just because we won the turnover battle does it mean we still don't need to stop a very pedestrian QB from driving down the field on us for 4 80 yard drives for touchdowns? All we had to do was not let a reception happen behind us and we at least go to OT. So what happened? So that defense looked outstanding in the 4th quarter against the Bengals and on the last drive against the Rams and the Lions and they again looked outstanding against Carolina today when we gave up 2 TD's in the last 5 minutes? Do people just love this defense so much that they are blind to reality? This defense is playing some very good 1st halfs but our defensive coordinator doesn't seem to be able to come up with a plan for the 2nd half. The offense has sucked but somehow we have had a lead in most of our games, the most painful thing I am watching is the Defense giving up the lead! I really wish the Offensive line would have done a better job guarding Olsen today on the game winning TD and I can't believe how the offensive line left Calvin Johnson so wide open on the play Kam stripped him and it was horrible when the Rams scored that late TD when our offensive lineman fell down in coverage. I can even go back farther to when apparently our offensive line gave up a 2 score lead in the Super Bowl..........amazes me how our defense can do no wrong even though teams keep scoring on us after we have the lead.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":17dpraja said:
Ultimately the Seahawks defense forced two turnovers, and we won the turnover battle, yet we still lost. The defense did have a fourth quarter meltdown, however I still put a lot of blame on the offense. They were spotted short fields several times and could not capitalize. They lost in time of possession, yet again -- this time by five minutes. Our third down percentage was a putrid 28 percent and we were only 1 for 3 in the redzone.
And I blame the O-line.

Unger, Carp and Breno are looking pretty darned good right now.

And if you haven't noticed, team scoring is down this year.

In 2012, we averaged 25.8 pts. for #9 in the league.

2013, 26.1 pts./game tied for #8.

2014, 24.6 pts./game for #10.

This year thus far... we're down to 22.3 pts./game tied for #17.

The offense is not sustaining drives and I blame the O-line.

Vetamur

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":25ryqktq said:
Spin Doctor":25ryqktq said:
And I blame the O-line.

Unger, Carp and Breno are looking pretty darned good right now.

And if you haven't noticed, team scoring is down this year.

In 2012, we averaged 25.8 pts. for #9 in the league.

2013, 26.1 pts./game tied for #8.

2014, 24.6 pts./game for #10.

This year thus far... we're down to 22.3 pts./game tied for #17.

The offense is not sustaining drives and I blame the O-line.

2 points a game is why were are where are?

I for one put some of the blame , for lack of a better word, on the DC.

Same core of players, same OC, different DC... different results on Defense. You have to blinded by hatred to not see it. The defense allowed 4 drives of 80 yards against the Panthers.

Its not just the DC.. but he probably is part of it. I dont think he has quite the motivating influence. It was clear when Quinn left that a lot of the d line and linebackers felt loyalty to Quinn perhaps even over Carroll. Quinn certainly seems to have that "it" factor, look at what Atlanta is doing.

But its not just Richard. Part is trying to cope with how to balance the new contracts and what that does to the roster. Part is continually trying to replace the right Corner spot, and Cary Wililams was a mistake. A mistake to give him that much money, a mistake thinking he could change how he covers to our system..because he still doesnt do it.

Some is just the talent level. You cant hit on every draft like you did in 2011 and 2012... but at the same time, you desperately need to. I wrote last week, I think we are in for a down year as we restock talent..

jlwaters1

Reaction score
The DC is to blame, yes you can give Bevell a hard time, but in reality 3 of our 4 losses the defense has collapsed in the 4th QTR. Seattle is NOT an elite defense right now, they had been known as closers, now they are chokers. The offense could have releived some of the stress, but the fact is the defense is getting owned late in games, that falls on the DC, period.

You don't choke away a 17 and a 10 point lead in back to back games and remain blameless.

mrt144

Reaction score
Richards is a first year Coordinator - ratchet those expectations folks.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I think it's very fair to partially blame the DC. In the 4th quarter Newton had way too much time to throw the ball and that's what did the Hawks in yesterday. Adjustments either were not made or didn't work. When you pressure Newton (as they did earlier in the game) he is a turnover machine.

mrt144

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":ur1dfhme said:
I think it's very fair to partially blame the DC. In the 4th quarter Newton had way too much time to throw the ball and that's what did the Hawks in yesterday. Adjustments either were not made or didn't work. When you pressure Newton (as they did earlier in the game) he is a turnover machine.

It was the same story with Dalton and then somehow our pass rush evaporated on any long developing play in the 4th quarter.

Willyeye

Reaction score
I think Carroll has stayed far too loyal to Bevell, and perhaps he promoted Kris Richard to a position he's not quite qualified/ready for, at least not yet. I would say this: the offense has wasted far too many drives...way too many three-and-outs. They have failed to chew up the clock and that has resulted in defensive struggles. Richard seems to be doing okay (but nowhere near the level Quinn had them playing at) for the first three quarters, and maybe the 4th quarter collapses are due to a tired defense that is tired because of the offense's deficiencies. But overall, the D seems confused on a lot of plays and I have to think that's on Richard. I think the offense has shown some brilliant flashes, but not consistently enough...I think that's on Bevell.

I think the following D guys are not playing even close to their potential: Mebane, Sherman, Chancellor, Wagner, Bennett (was awesome against the Lions and Bears, but mediocre in the 4 losses)...none are elite this year...and even Earl seems underwhelming at times in certain games. The money guys don't seem to be earning all those millions. A lot of the young guys are not getting enough playing time. Clark and Marsh should be used more. Unfortunately, it seems we have ZERO depth at DB and LB.

Partly due to injuries and giving snaps to the wrong personnel, the DB group seems to be lacking. Lane is sorely missed...as is healthy Simon. Williams seems to me to be a bust. Taking away his one pass rush that resulted in the forced fumble and TD, he's done nothing special...the only silver lining here is that Maxwell is probably playing even worse over in Philly. Shead is horrible. The nickel position has simply sucked. Thomas and Chancellor seem to be confused a lot. I have to think most of that is on Richard. I just don't think Richard was ready for prime time.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I think a lot of people are questioning whether Richard is ready/qualified for the job at this point. Seems like he is way overmatched in crunch time.

The Dirty Truth

Reaction score
This so called "Elite" defense gave up FOUR 80 yard TD drives to a team that has 2 offensive weapons. Up by 13 with 9 minutes left and another huge choke job. Enough said.

Joyodongo

Reaction score
I agree with "peppersjap".
I mean, very similar defense roster to last years', but quite different performance so far.
So, what's the main difference? :sarcasm_on: The DC maybe? :sarcasm_off:. A lot is on the players, but what about motivation, coordination, communication (or let's say lack of...) ?
And, of course, who's responsible for both of them (coordinators)?

By the way:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... big-plays/

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I think plenty of people are questioning the DC, which is valid. That D just doesn't seem as prepared in lots of ways, be it calls, communication/assignments, and even fundamentals like tackling. Yes, injuries clearly have an impact, as has the utter BS string of short weeks (thanks, NFL!), but it's the coach's duty to design a D and get players ready to execute. That doesn't appear to be happening.

At this point it seems Richard isn't ready for the promotion. The question for me is, do we let him continue learning on the job at the expense of the season? Pete isn't on the hot seat, so my guess is that will be the case. I hope it pays off.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":1498ysxk said:
HansGruber":1498ysxk said:

Agreed for an Offense that has a QB making 22 million a year it should be better, then again the O-line and WR's are awful. If Wilson can keep his overall numbers where there at now I think he will be a better QB regardless next year. He really hasn't seen any adversity till now if he can keep his head above water and stay at or around a 65% comp percentage, he'll come out the other side a better more experienced QB . With some upgrades at WR and O-line that is.

A 22 million a year QB can't do anything lying on his back on most plays because his OL resembles the following image -
Eurogate turnstile

RussB

Reaction score
Cant really blame kris richard for sherman giving up passes . And guys on defense miscommunicating. All he can do is call defenses and tell his players to execute, its the players job to be prepared to cover their assignment. I think hes doing a good job to be honest. the players in the secondary are the ones messing up most of the time

davidonmi

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":17600w39 said:
HansGruber":17600w39 said:

Even with Wilson making 22 mil a year the offense as a whole is still paid 15 million less than the defense as a unit. So having higher expectations for the defense than the offense seems fair

davidonmi

Reaction score
HansGruber":xc7vpnx8 said:

27 points against a mediocre offense at home is not a good performance