Hubris catches up with the Hawks

Reaneypark

Reaction score
What's wrong with the Seahawks?

Only human nature. Yes, we can talk Xs and Os until we're blue in the face, but the reality is that late in the fourth quarter it's about which team wants it more, who is going to work harder than the other guy to win. The Seahawks used to be the guys who had the fire inside to win in the fourth quarter, but things have changed.

They are no longer the disrespected Seahawks, overlooked and under appreciated. They aren't the guys with something to prove because they were drafted too low or not even drafted. They aren't the guys playing to get PAID. They aren't they guys who get passed over for national ad campaigns. They have earned everything they wanted and now they have lost that edge that little bit of fire that sustains them late in games. (Yes, there are problems that have come with a bad OLine, but let's not forget that we have had leads in every loss even with a bad OLine.) It's human nature to let up in your motivation when you achieve your goals. We're seeing it now.

So, the question that remains is can the Hawks get that fire back, can they suck it up late in the game and win their matchup and start winning again? I hope so, but I know one thing, blaming one or two individuals for this is too simplistic. This is really on the core of the team. The leaders who should be stepping up and carrying this team on their backs and they just aren't doing it, because it's really, really hard and the opponent is not letting up at all.

Maybe the hatred of losing like this will light a fire under their butts. Let's hope so, I think it would be really damn fun to see the Hawks get hot late in the season and go on an epic road-win Super Bowl campaign.

We'll see.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I like this post.

I have chalked a lot of the issues this year up to hubris too. In particular the tinkering with an o-line, especially at center, was Hubris. Not getting rid of Unger, that I get, but thinking they could plug and play at 3 spots with inexperience and get away with it. That they would not have to change offensive identity at all with that level of experience. Hubris.

OP
OP
Reaneypark

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1uhf1ay5 said:
I like this post.

I have chalked a lot of the issues this year up to hubris too. In particular the tinkering with an o-line, especially at center, was Hubris. Not getting rid of Unger, that I get, but thinking they could plug and play at 3 spots with inexperience and get away with it. That they would not have to change offensive identity at all with that level of experience. Hubris.

Agreed, it's not just the players, it's on Schneider and the coaches too.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. No fire. On top of that, every team is gunning for us. Using us as a measuring stick and we're coming up short. Too complacent. The price of success for most teams.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson has said as much since the seasons began.

It takes a excellent motivator to find a way to get guys that were energized by factors like being drafted in the lower rounds that have subsequently climbed to the top of the mountain and keep them motivated to reside on that mountain top. Pete has failed to do that this season. It will be interesting to see if he is able to find the collective switch and get it in the 'on' position for the next 5 or so years as the core of this team is still quite young and has a chance to "compete" for championships in at least that time frame.

OP
OP
Reaneypark

Reaneypark

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":375owfye said:
My thoughts exactly. No fire. On top of that, every team is gunning for us. Using us as a measuring stick and we're coming up short. Too complacent. The price of success for most teams.

Yes, Falk, Dalton and Newton all had milestone games against us. We get their best and will continue to do so.

gtcotcakya

Reaction score
These guys used to have a lot of pride before they got paid. They fed off the disrespect and played with a chip on their shoulder. Let's hope that the embarrassment of multiple 4th quarter collapses and a 2-4 record help them find that edge again.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Most people called me crazy last week when I said the D is now soft..........but sorry, it's true.

I don't see the same consistent fire or pack of wild dogs like Sherman used to call them. I see a bunch of part time pack of wild dogs that got paid and don't understand why they can't just turn the switch on like they used to.

Hubris is the perfect word. It's what every other fan base told us would happen, once our players got paid the fire wouldn't be there. We all said ahh no, not our Hawks, we're different.

So it's obviously our players THINK they're still the vaunted nasty Hawks of old, but I think the reality is now sinking in to even them. All these teams that they kicked and demoralized on the way up are now taking extreme joy in returning the favor.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
Good post.

Would it be a good idea for the Hawks management to trade a top player before the trade deadlines to shake up this team and make a statement that mediocrity isn't tolerated? Like Harvin a year ago? Someone on the last year of their contract who the Hawks don't plan to resign next year and will free up some cap room. Mebane hasn't lit the world on fire this year and this is probably his last year on the team.

Hawkfeathers

Reaction score
The obnoxious hubris of Seahawks fans on the internet needs to be toned down as well. Insulting the fans of other teams less fortunate than the Hawks ( while they were in cap heaven) is coming home to roost. The recent Superbowl matched up the two most obnoxious fanbase in the NFL, with the Patriots fans earning the bragging rights until the newest winner is crowned in 2016. Players may trash talk on the field, but fans don't play the games and don't have to trash talk on the internet. Hawk fans need to play nice now that they are drifting down in the standings.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Liked the post reaneypark. This team has so much potential, but it needs something to start the fire again.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawkfeathers":2rjv3tc5 said:
The obnoxious hubris of Seahawks fans on the internet needs to be toned down as well. Insulting the fans of other teams less fortunate than the Hawks ( while they were in cap heaven) is coming home to roost. The recent Superbowl matched up the two most obnoxious fanbase in the NFL, with the Patriots fans earning the bragging rights until the newest winner is crowned in 2016. Players may trash talk on the field, but fans don't play the games and don't have to trash talk on the internet. Hawk fans need to play nice now that they are drifting down in the standings.

I think we need to distinguish between old school and new school fans.

Us old school fans who lived through all the losing haven't been the ones on message boards and social media talking trash and rubbing it in to other fans.

It's the millennial bandwagoners who just started rooting for the Hawks the past 4-5 years that are doing all the talking..........and btw, they're just following the lead of our players. Everybody loved it when Sherman and the rest of the D talked about as much trash as humanly possible.

Now teams and other fan bases are enjoying the hell out of enacting a little karmic revenge.

kearly

Reaction score
Seattle has played the toughest schedule in the NFL through six games, and led in the 4th quarter in all six. Seattle is a very good team but unfortunately is on pace to be the worst finishing team... maybe ever.

I think the OP struck gold, but I wouldn't use the word Hubris personally.

When the team dealt away Unger, the original plan was to replace him with a guy entering his 3rd NFL season who had outplayed Unger in 2014. Britt was still at RT and seemed to be in the long term plans there. Carp had to be replaced at LG, but at the time it seemed reasonable that Bailey might be a lateral move there. I think 'plan A' for Seattle was for Seattle to start 0 newbies, not 3. To me this was a totally reasonable set of expectations.

What wasn't reasonable was jettisoning Zach Miller and making zero effort to replace him with a quality blocking TE. While this was pretty stupid of Seattle, I don't think they could have easily anticipated the domino effect it would create when it quickly forced Justin Britt out of the RT job and caused the team to shuffle the OL. Going with Nowak early was dumb too, but with Lewis around they could always pull the plug at any time.

I don't see hubris in the front office or coaches, I just see one or two minor mistakes that compounded into something much bigger.

Back to the OP. Where I think the OP is dead on is the talk about attitude. Guys like Earl and Kam don't need it, but Sherm does, and we are missing Browner's intensity too. The defense is more talented than ever, but it is missing the emotional juice. Last year, most of these guys were paid, and Kam made a speech and got the juice back. They started playing as a family. But there was another reason for that spark that goes unmentioned- down the stretch last season Marshawn Lynch played like a man possessed. It was his finest season in the NFL, IMO.

For years we've heard about how Marshawn makes the defense better because he feeds the entire team energy. Lynch plays like a maniac and it inspires his teammates to do the same. But this year, Lynch just hasn't quite been the same and neither has the team around him. Maybe rather than point at the defense, we should point at the run game. Maybe if we get Lynch back to terrorizing teams in Beast Mode, it will create much of the energy that is missing.

Lynch is the beating heart of the team. I think it is very likely that his struggles are intrinsically tied to the morale of the team, and that has a significant impact on the defense.

mrt144

Reaction score
Fair point kearly but is any team as emotionally fragile and in need of being fired up as the Seahawks in general?

RussB

Reaction score
Michael Irvin was talking about the hawks yesterday and said something similiar. He said what the hawks used to do to teams , the other teams are now doing to them. AT HOME, in thier own stadium. Teams arent scared anymore. It used to be other teams confusing plays at century link. Now the hawks are confused. Hopefully they get pissed off and start playing like they used to

DangerousDoug

Reaction score
Apollo creed

They haven't been hungry since they won that belt. They need the eye of the tiger!

gonzhawk

Reaction score
Yes but why are the Pack and Pats still kicking everyone's ass? They got paid also.
Why no superbowl hangover for that team?
Just sad and unacceptable to me.

mrt144

Reaction score
gonzhawk":3srgdo2q said:
Yes but why are the Pack and Pats still kicking everyone's ass? They got paid also.

The Pats arguably have the most adaptable and cunning mind in the game and yes, that includes Belichick's ability to walk the line of rules. I don't see the same adaptability, rather, I see that we've painted ourselves into a corner.

The Packers though? Rodgers and McCarthy have blown it in grand fashion individually and together a few times. I'm sure a Packers fan can chime in with their top 5 Fire McCarthy moments post SB.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
mrt144":321dga5v said:
gonzhawk":321dga5v said:

The Pats arguably have the most adaptable and cunning mind in the game and yes, that includes Belichick's ability to walk the line of rules. I don't see the same adaptability, rather, I see that we've painted ourselves into a corner.

The Packers though? Rodgers and McCarthy have blown it in grand fashion individually and together a few times. I'm sure a Packers fan can chime in with their top 5 Fire McCarthy moments post SB.

Agreed with mrt144. And, Packers have Rodgers. Packers are always going to win a lot of games as long as Rodgers is their QB.

mrt144

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":2y06cimc said:
mrt144":2y06cimc said:
gonzhawk":2y06cimc said:

Agreed with mrt144. And, Packers have Rodgers. Packers are always going to win a lot of games as long as Rodgers is their QB.

They also have a commitment to giving Rodgers the requisite tools to make him successful. As does NE with Brady. Both are great in their own right but you see complete buy in on making them as successful as players and as key parts of the team. It's not the only way to team build, QED (back to back SBs for us, thanks), and it certainly ratchets up the need for them to be healthy and in the game playing well but...

When you choose one path such as that you make sacrifices and the thing to really watch for this season is how the Hawks adjust to the limitations of haphazrd malinvestment in the offense. A lot of commenters love pointing out Wilson's salary as the end all be all of how he should play while being completely oblivious to the machinations of the market place (20 mil is the going rate for a QB who is objectively capable of playing mistake free football on a consistent basis which RW is. Sorry that other teams are willing to pay more than we are for RW talents but that's the state of the NFL.) and how the front office has built around him. We categorically are dissimilar from the Packers and Pats.

Maybe they haven't had the time or the cap money to do so and it's always a back burner ideal, and I respect that possibility but honestly, the Hawks have painted themselves into a corner where the talent holes can't be fixed in season and all we're left with is pensive hope that they simply play better.