Why didn't we run?

StoneCold

Reaction score
I know we had an almost equal number of runs and passes, though that's only when you count the broken pass plays that became Russell scramble runs. That first series? Beast is back and we don't give it to him once? And in the entire 4th quarter he touches the ball 3 times?

That is just wrong.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
StoneCold":1ebp2kdw said:
I know we had an almost equal number of runs and passes, though that's only when you count the broken pass plays that became Russell scramble runs. That first series? Beast is back and we don't give it to him once? And in the entire 4th quarter he touches the ball 3 times?

That is just wrong.

Because he was averaging 3.2 YPC with many negative plays?

erik2690

Reaction score
I agree to an extent especially with a decent lead. The only issue is that the run block has been so inconsistent that there's a high likelihood of just getting us in a 2nd or 3rd and long. Bashing in the run game especially with the lead has always been a key part, but we have been getting bottled up so often that I think they are worried about putting us in the long 3rds. I don't have a strong opinion on how to best deal with that. I think running it more than they did probably needs to happen, but the negative plays and 1 yard gains are tough. Maybe a silly way to break it down, but if you take out the one good run by Beast he got 37 on 16 carries and even with the one longish run it was still pretty ugly. Tough predicament when the team has been so used to being able to run it for years and now it's at the very least going to be harder to do. To me if the run isn't going to improve it's clear they need to have better 3rd down % red zone % and a couple less sacks.