Pete Carroll back to USC???? (Speculation)

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Supposedly the Trojans are putting him on their short list of candidates to return to USC. Pete has been known to jump ship from a sinking vessel in past and he seems to love So Cal. We could get rid of Bevell and I think this story has legs.

He is from Marin County.
He could right the wrong of the probation.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/pete-carr ... 32971.html

One week after firing Steve Sarkisian as their head football coach, the University of Southern California is setting some lofty goals in their quest to find their next coach.
According to Dan Patrick of "The Dan Patrick Show," two sources "behind the scenes" at USC told him that Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll is on their "short list" of coaching candidates and that they think he can be talked into returning to USC, where he coached for nine seasons and won two national championships.

"Pete Carroll is on that short list right now," Patrick said. "Not that Pete would leave Seattle. But the alumni are all in on trying to get Pete back ... The people who help make decisions there, they think Pete Carroll is in play. This what I was told, before the loss [on Sunday], if it goes south in Seattle, they think there is a chance that Pete would listen to go back to USC."

Patrick described the sources as "people who are behind the scenes," but not people making the decisions.

Patrick had previously reported that Baltimore Ravens head coach John Harbaugh is also on their list of candidates.

Kevin Sumlin at Texas A&M is also on the short list, but Patrick said "they don't think they can get him." Sumlin was reportedly the Trojans' top choice in 2013 when Sarkisian was hired, but declined to stay at Texas A&M.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
So is Chip Kelly, Nick Saban and Sean Peyton.

It's what EVERY high profile school does when they're looking for a new coach, they go after all the white whales first to show their fan base and boosters how awesome they are..............then they settle on the dude from Utah.

Pete's 64 year's old, he's already accomplished everything he wanted to accomplish at USC, AND left under negative circumstances with the whole Reggie Bush thing. He ain't going back.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
How the hell is it "going south"?

Good teams so through dry spells when they lose coaches and players. Every team experiences this.

Winning coaches still recover and win, over time.

I would take a 3 win season under Pete vs any other coach because I know Pete would pull us back out of the mud. "South" with a Pete Carroll team is probably a few games under .500, if that. However if we lose Pete THEN we will REALLY know what "South" looks like.

Unless we can hire someone like Harbaugh, that would be very very stupid to let Pete go.

kearly

Reaction score
It's extremely unlikely. But if it did happen, then 2015 would have officially played out like a Pete Prisco wet dream.

OP
OP
seahawk12thman

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
If Pete Carroll left for USC it would only be because he sees a sinking ship at which point, might be the best move for the organization.

Rat

Reaction score
Shoot, does this mean the Seahawks are facing discipline from the league?

kearly

Reaction score
Right now I'd say 1% chance it happens. But if Seattle loses ugly to SF on Thursday, I'll actually get nervous about it.

ringless

Reaction score
kearly":2a2za3lk said:
Right now I'd say 1% chance it happens. But if Seattle loses ugly to SF on Thursday, I'll actually get nervous about it.

It is interesting you say that. Because last year on a Thursday night game in SF it was finalized that Harbs was out the door. If this game resulted in that I think this board would be flooded with 49ers fans in the irony of this season.

However I don't see any way Sea loses to SF. They are just a lot better than SF

hawknation2015

Reaction score
ringless":35si5tw5 said:
kearly":35si5tw5 said:

It is interesting you say that. Because last year on a Thursday night game in SF it was finalized that Harbs was out the door. If this game resulted in that I think this board would be flooded with 49ers fans in the irony of this season.

0.0%
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/656224335405801472[/tweet]

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Pete left USC west under investigations that later turned into serious NCAA sanctions. He quit before the NCAA could issue the dreaded "show cause" order though. Even so I'd expect that If Pete ever did return to coaching at the NCAA level, he would be on a very very tight leash and a marked man. I'm not sure that any AD would risk the hire much less one just getting out from under that same scrutiny.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":f4rt9a2r said:
No worries, Pete says Kris Richards "is doing a really good job" and I am sure Bevell should be up for Offensive Coordinator of the year. if he is going to give us this kind of accountability perhaps USC should be his next destination. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... er=ya5nbcs

What do you want him to say?

"Kris (bleeping) stinks." "I hate Bevell as much as the rest of the fan base"

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
brimsalabim":krsylepv said:
Pete left USC west under investigations that later turned into serious NCAA sanctions. He quit before the NCAA could issue the dreaded "show cause" order though. Even so I'd expect that If Pete ever did return to coaching at the NCAA level, he would be on a very very tight leash and a marked man. I'm not sure that any AD would risk the hire much less one just getting out from under that same scrutiny.

You must not follow Pat Haden very closely then. :lol:

That said.. there is less than 0% chance he goes back to USC. Harbaugh went to Michigan in large part because it was his alma mater, but also.. he had no championships on his resume at either level. Sounds funny, but with Pete getting that Super Bowl win under his belt.. his chances of going back to college are none to none.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1pxlkoal said:
seahawk12thman":1pxlkoal said:
No worries, Pete says Kris Richards "is doing a really good job" and I am sure Bevell should be up for Offensive Coordinator of the year. if he is going to give us this kind of accountability perhaps USC should be his next destination. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... er=ya5nbcs

What do you want him to say?

"Kris (bleeping) stinks." "I hate Bevell as much as the rest of the fan base"

YES, this exactly. :stirthepot: :sarcasm_off:

hawknation2015

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2o4pwtm4 said:

This is inaccurate. There was nothing to prevent the NCAA from issuing Carroll a "show cause" penalty if they felt he was guilty of wrongdoing. Chip Kelly was not issued his "show cause" penalty until five months AFTER he accepted the Eagles job.

In fact, the NCAA report specifically concluded that there was no evidence that Carroll knew that Reggie Bush and his family were accepting benefits from wannabe agents in San Diego who were otherwise not connected to the program. USC's lack of institutional control was primarily a result of the fact that USC had only one compliance officer at the time, they failed to monitor where Reggie Bush obtained his car loan, they failed to self-sanction within the football program, and Todd McNair was issued a "show cause" penalty for allegedly having knowledge of Bush's relationship with the wannabe agents. McNair is currently suing the NCAA for defamation, among other claims, and received a preliminary ruling that the NCAA acted with malice against him.

I agree that Carroll will not return to USC, or any other program, but that has nothing to do with the threat of NCAA action or his supposed inability to obtain a position. The NCAA's own procedures in the Bylaws for infractions cases would prevent it from being reopened. It's also patently absurd to say that no "AD would risk the hire." I can guarantee you that the vast majority of ADs would love to have Pete Carroll as their coach.

dutchman063

Reaction score
hawknation2015":365f6hzr said:
ringless":365f6hzr said:
kearly":365f6hzr said:

0.0%

Since the second half of that statement is a lie, i see no reason why the first half isnt a lie too

hawknation2015

Reaction score
dutchman063":mn466ekk said:
hawknation2015":mn466ekk said:
ringless":mn466ekk said:
kearly":mn466ekk said:

0.0%

Since the second half of that statement is a lie, i see no reason why the first half isnt a lie too

Why is it a lie to say he is "flattered" to be talked about by a program that he has a lot of fond memories of? That's just the respectful thing to say.