Other teams have learned how to attack the Cover 3 defense!

ExBassGuide

Reaction score
I am no pro at understanding defenses or even offense schemes.
But over the last two games Seattle has had three touch downs scored on them and the receivers have been WIDE OPEN! Seattle has been running cover three a lot over the last three years. So why now are they having problem with coverage lately? It looks like they are not covering or passing off receivers well in the area between Safeties and cover corners. It should not take too long for Pete to adjust and run practice drills to patch this up! Did anyone see this and see the same thing I’m seeing? Seattle lost the last two games because of this cover three break down!
Thanks!

Roger

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Yes we saw it. The announcers saw it and there are film clips posted on the board of it. Who knows if Pete Co. will address this though. They still haven't admitted to their being any issues to fix.

This was actually pointed out last season but our pass rush rarely let the QB hold the ball long enough for it to open up.

OP
OP
ExBassGuide

ExBassGuide

Reaction score
It's good to see the team is not getting blown out of the games. just a few thing to work on and we will be fine! We could still make the playoffs and make a deep run! I may be a band wagon fan but I also have faith! In Pete we trust!
Go hawks!

Roger

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Cover 3 has weaknesses. Hopefully they'll use one of those defenses that doesn't have any weaknesses.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Another problem is that the pass rush was virtually non-existent in the second half. They got pressure on Newton early but it disappeared late, especially in the 4th quarter. I wonder if moving to a basic 46 defense scheme may help. I think the Seahawks have the talent to use this defense effectively. This may also generate more pass rush than they have been getting (at least more consistent pass rush). This is an article I found on 46 defense -
http://joedanielfootball.com/46-defense-basics/

What I'm thinking is to bring Kam to the line to smash the TE at the line. This would take away the TE weapon plus if it's run play, Kam is a good run stopper as well. Opposing TE have been destroying the Seahawks. Whether they are good or not, really hasn't mattered. It's been the weak area of the defense. An adjustment needs to be made there.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
The cover 3 has been around for a very, very, very long time.... Most teams know how to exploit the cover 3.

chawx

Reaction score
You would think we would have the perfect guy (ahem, Jimmy Graham, *cough*) to use for the defense to practice defending these types of plays on, no?

netskier

Reaction score
Graham won't be available for this good idea because he has to practice his inline blocking.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":39kb0xgv said:
The cover 3 has been around for a very, very, very long time.... Most teams know how to exploit the cover 3.

Exactly . . . LOL. It didn't take until now for teams to learn the soft spots in the cover 2 and 3. The problem for them is it is still extremely difficult to succeed against this scheme when it is well executed. We just have to get back to executing the scheme well, as we did from 2012-2014 when we led the NFL in scoring defense.

Tical21

Reaction score
There is an element of truth to what he's saying. With our success, and now seeing former coordinators run the same defense, it is something that offenses are exposed to a lot more during the season. They recognize the challenge and the need to prepare specifically for it, which is something that is a little bit rare. It has been a long time since teams have run primarily cover-3, especially as prolifically as we have.

I thought coming into the season, Richard's biggest challenge was going to be countering to teams that are well prepared to cover-3. For the most part, his counter been to run cover-2, in part because it gives Cary more help. Actually, we ran very little cover-3 down the stretch, and almost none of it on the final drive. I think we're going to back to it though, put in a few wrinkles, and make other teams beat us at what we do best.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1jswk41p said:
Spin Doctor":1jswk41p said:

Exactly . . . LOL. It didn't take until now for teams to learn the soft spots in the cover 2 and 3. The problem for them is it is still extremely difficult to succeed against this scheme when it is well executed. We just have to get back to executing the scheme well, as we did from 2012-2014 when we led the NFL in scoring defense.
^ This ^
The other fly in the ointment is, when you don't get enough pressure on the Quarterback with the front 4 or get additional pressure on the more mobile QB's, they send more Receivers than you can cover.
The absence of BWags last Year, and now this Year, really shows the soft spots in our Defensive scheme.
AND, I believe Williams is going to get there, but he hasn't arrived yet ,and the proof is, that every Quarterback has taken a lot of their shots at his area of coverage.

bighawk

Reaction score
I think it is more that teams are going to the hurry up offense and keeping our defense on the field with long drives. The fact the offense can't sustain long drives hurt the defense even more. I believe for this game not having Hill and Clark on defense hurt the rotation.