Seahawks worst red zone team (UPDATED-still worst in NFL)

hawknation2015

Reaction score
AaZQdSQ

UPDATE -- Though the halfway point of the season, the Seahawks are now even worse in the red zone than they were through the first four games, decreasing their red zone TD% rate by nearly four percentage points (from 33.33% to 29.41%).

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Largent80":372rjuu4 said:
I guess that explains why we get outscored... :roll:

I'm not sure what that means, but I'm pretty sure it will turn into some sort of full-throated defense for why Bevell is actually the infallible football genius that you view him to be.

:roll:

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I've been bringing this up for a week. More notable is that we were almost twice as good last year, which also was poor (19th). This should have been the theme all offseason. I'm no Russel Wilson basher but he is struggling with his reads and vision. This should have been Russel's priority instead of working on increasing his speed. Carl Smith needs to take some responsibility also.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Good thing we don't use the guy who has the 3rd most TD's in the football the last few years. Because using Jimmy flippen Graham in the Red Zone wouldn't be a good choice. :?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Can't blame our 22 million $$$ QB.It's everyone else's fault.He's doing his job!

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2sc2j5s3 said:
Can't blame our 22 million $$$ QB.It's everyone else's fault.He's doing his job!

Russell absolutely has had his share of problems in the red zone. There were a couple throws to Jimmy Graham that just were not high enough, for example.

At the same time, I think with an above average play caller in the red zone, Russell would be putting up more points.

mrt144

Reaction score
IndyHawk":16f1bwke said:

Said no one, ever.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I might take some flack, but whatever. A big problem is Russell Wilson.

A lot of the issues in his game that people have pointed out: Timing throws, throwing from the pocket, conservative throwing into tight windows. Those issues become magnified inside the red zone where the field and throwing windows become even smaller.

All the open space between the 20s that's available for Russell to run when his receiver carry their defenders deep? That's gone, as well.

You rarely (if ever) see him drop back and fire it to his receiver with the timing and precision that a lot of other QBs have. Personally, I think his size has hurt him here. I've played QB and am the same height as RW. When you get closer to the endzone it becomes more clustered. It's just physically tougher to see things over the middle. That's why you'll see a lot more corner routes and out routes than you see slants. Or plays schemed to get players open (rub route). Or more TD's passes when Russ scrambles as opposed to from the pocket.

Add in an offensive line that struggles to protect, has struggled more than usual run blocking, and commits at least one stupid penalty in the redzone a game, thus killing your chances for anything more than a TD; you got a recipe for disaster.

Largent80

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1655x8ln said:
Largent80":1655x8ln said:
I guess that explains why we get outscored... :roll:

I'm not sure what that means, but I'm pretty sure it will turn into some sort of full-throated defense for why Bevell is actually the infallible football genius that you view him to be.

:roll:

Where did I say that Nostradamus?....errrrr Georgio.

In layman's terms. We aren't scoring enough touchdown's in the red zone. Get it now? Pretty simple really, no reason to blow a gasket.

Fade

Reaction score
I am done talking about it at this point. Bevell is the worst red zone play caller I have ever seen. This team cannot move forward until he is fired.

RiverDog

Reaction score
hawknation2015":16uxav1w said:
IndyHawk":16uxav1w said:

Russell absolutely has had his share of problems in the red zone. There were a couple throws to Jimmy Graham that just were not high enough, for example.

At the same time, I think with an above average play caller in the red zone, Russell would be putting up more points.

I've been harping on this for a couple of weeks now. The red zone pick in Cincy is a prime example. Russell needs to put more air under the ball instead of trying to drop it over Graham's shoulder like he's Kearse or Lockett. If he's going to miss, miss high so that Graham is the only one with a chance to catch it and if he doesn't, it carries harmlessly out of bounds.

Jimmy Graham has a height advantage over every DB in the league. It's time that Russell realize that and start throwing the ball differently than he does the rest of his receiving corps.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Pathetic. The entire offensive players and staff should be ashamed of themselves.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":2np1cgge said:
Pathetic. The entire offensive players and staff should be ashamed of themselves.

10-4. That ought to be framed and mounted right below the "I'm in" sign.

Take a close look at that graphic. There is a roughly 1-3% difference between each team and the one above/below them until you get to Seattle's dead last ranking. There's an over 8% differential between our percentage and the next highest. What an embarrassment!

Laloosh

Reaction score
Hi, I'm the 2014 Seattle Seahawks and I have DIRECTV.

Hi, I'm the 2015 Seattle Seahawks and I have Cable.

Get it? Cable...