Blocking TE

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The Seahawks have a blocking TE on the roster. Care to know who that may be? It's Garry Gilliam. They should use Gilliam as a blocking TE and use Graham more as the receiving TE. Gilliam did play TE at Penn State so it's not like it would be a drastic change for him. In this scenario, Alvin Bailey becomes the RT, Gilliam the blocking TE, and Graham out wide as a receiver. Here you have the ability to run or be a threat in the passing game. Gives the offense more options and makes the defense guess more. In some cases, they could also use Tukuafu as a blocking TE to spell Gilliam if need be.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I would like to know whether Zach Miller is interested in continuing to play or if his body is just done with football, because it sure seems like he'd be the perfect addition right now as a blocking first TE. I would not hesitate to cut Helfet in favor of a more well-rounded TE like Miller if he's healthy.

kobebryant

Reaction score
It seems like Tukuafu is taking on a larger role with this team, and doing a good job of it too.

Is blowing things up as a FB and he lines up in-line as a TE from time to time.

Though yes, I would prefer if Helfet's spot was held by a traditional blocking TE (nothing against Coop at all). I don't recall if Moeaki was much of a blocker (I believe he is available), I would see about asking the Titans about Craig Steven's availability.

Zach would be perfect, but if he's taken his Super Bowl ring, his pro bowl berth, and his millions home to AZ to be a full-time daddy to his twin baby girls I think that's awesome.

Reaction score
Zach plays for the Bears and had a catch against us this year.
I personally would like to see Bailey at left guard move Britt back to RT and let Gilliam play blocking TE.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
coorslighthawk":2zsh2eqc said:
I personally would like to see Bailey at left guard move Britt back to RT and let Gilliam play blocking TE.

That's a different Zach Miller. Ex-Seahawks Zach Miller is not in the league.

OP
OP
hawkfan68

hawkfan68

Reaction score
coorslighthawk":1hzcgi8t said:

That's a different Zach Miller. Not the same Zach that was a former Seahawk and Oakland Raider.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
This would actually give you less options on offense and allow the opposing defense to key on other areas of Seattle's offense because Gilliam is not a receiving threat as a tight end. He's over 300 pounds now. He doesn't have the speed to fit the misdirection style of play Seattle uses with its TE.

Also, Bailey sucks at RT. He doesn't have the athleticism to hang with the defensive ends in this league. He gave up 2 sacks by himself against the 49ers in maybe a quarter of play. Gilliam is still learning the position and has a ton of upside left.

titan3131

Reaction score
tHE PROBLEM WITH THIS IS THAT IT DOESNT REPLACE BRITT.

If we can get glowinski in for britt I think this would work.

Basis4day

Reaction score
titan3131":3egzxbe3 said:

The Glowinski that was inactive yesterday?

sutz

Reaction score
Not going there. Don't want to replace a legitimate offensive weapon to go tackle eligible on a large percentage of plays.

Nope, won't do it.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
hawkfan68":verfqmgx said:
The Seahawks have a blocking TE on the roster. Care to know who that may be? It's Garry Gilliam. They should use Gilliam as a blocking TE and use Graham more as the receiving TE. Gilliam did play TE at Penn State so it's not like it would be a drastic change for him. In this scenario, Alvin Bailey becomes the RT, Gilliam the blocking TE, and Graham out wide as a receiver. Here you have the ability to run or be a threat in the passing game. Gives the offense more options and makes the defense guess more. In some cases, they could also use Tukuafu as a blocking TE to spell Gilliam if need be.
No wait. They're very impressed with Gilliam. So you're saying a guy who in college was taught to block with the offensive line is someone they are impressed with on the oline? But I thought guys didn't learn to block on the oline in college and it was better to teach a dlineman from scratch?

OP
OP
hawkfan68

hawkfan68

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2f317t60 said:
hawkfan68":2f317t60 said:
No wait. They're very impressed with Gilliam. So you're saying a guy who in college was taught to block with the offensive line is someone they are impressed with on the oline? But I thought guys didn't learn to block on the oline in college and it was better to teach a dlineman from scratch?

Not sure where you're getting that info from my post. I've never been fond of the OL project philosophy of converting DL guys to the OL. Especially when OL projects are comprising 60% of the starting line. My point is Gilliam is a blocker and he had experience playing a TE in college. Maybe they can use him as the "blocking TE" the Seahawks seem to lack.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2qz82ckn said:

If Bailey were good enough to play RT, why change up the whole lineup? Just use Bailey as the de-facto TE -- a role he has been playing since his rookie season -- and keep Gilliam at RT. The problem is Bailey is not a physical blocker, struggles especially with the run game, and was the source of the major shakeups in the lineup before the season.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kobebryant":3sr097oy said:
titan3131":3sr097oy said:

Britt graded out positively yesterday (https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... -off-edge/).

Crazy concept, I know, but maybe someone who is new to a position might get progressively better at it the more they do it.

According to those same grades, Alvin Bailey was our weakest lineman yesterday (-3.7), compared to our highest-graded player Russell Okung (+5.5) and average-graded player Garry Gilliam (-0.8 ).

sam1313

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":204jy7z8 said:
This would actually give you less options on offense and allow the opposing defense to key on other areas of Seattle's offense because Gilliam is not a receiving threat as a tight end. He's over 300 pounds now. He doesn't have the speed to fit the misdirection style of play Seattle uses with its TE.

Also, Bailey sucks at RT. He doesn't have the athleticism to hang with the defensive ends in this league. He gave up 2 sacks by himself against the 49ers in maybe a quarter of play. Gilliam is still learning the position and has a ton of upside left.

Thank you. Sometimes I think I am alone in seeing Gilliam potential and at times decent to good play. He is far better than Britt was last year in my opinion. And if Britt can't play guard he is done as a tackle in this league.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1ihvzz8p said:
coorslighthawk":1ihvzz8p said:

That's a different Zach Miller. Not the same Zach that was a former Seahawk and Oakland Raider.
This one always gets me.The other Zach played for the Steelers and is now with Bears?Can he block?Can we trade for him?Wait we have Willson right?He can block right?

randomation

Reaction score
Or move Matthews to TE, he is almost always brought in on run plays and moved in to block anyway. Put Matthews and Jimmy as your TEs just have to convince Russ to go to them rather than Kearse. AKA when they are covered they are open.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
This is basically the same thing, but I wouldn't mind seeing a few more 6 OL rotations. We have used them in the past to great success. Last year we would bring in Gilliam as the 6th OL. It might telegraph the play a bit, but if I recall we averaged a very healthy YPC behind this formation.

Latest posts