A Football Life: Steve Largent (NFL Network)

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
[youtube]rU9jZJcpQxw[/youtube]

Premiers at 6pm PST on NFL Network. Should be a great watch. As someone who wasn't around to watch Largent, I am really looking forward to this.

Looks like when you click the video it doesn't work. Here is the link to the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU9jZJc ... r_embedded

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
A Largent show on tonight and no one cares?

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Absolutely looking forward to this. Dude was my hero when I was a kid.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
This should be awesome. It's a crime he never had a chance to play in a Super Bowl.

BlueThunder

Reaction score
The show right after is A Football Life: Warren Moon. Mostly oilers of course, but I bet we see a few of his awesome passes in Seahawk blue...

FLhawkfan

Reaction score
Great show! Lots of stuff about Largent I never knew and brought back some memories. Really cool that Largent and Zorn are still best friends.

irocdave

Reaction score
These shows are not directed towards fans that followed the guy week in and week out. For Largent, just think how many other NFL fans know nothing about him and what he did? I would like to watch it, but I know most of the story. I would like my kids to watch to enrich their Hawk fandom though. It's one thing to tell them stories but to see his career play out on NFL network it's more impactful.

Largent was THE MAN for a long time in Seattle. He was the first sports hero for WA kids.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
irocdave":26thpzia said:
These shows are not directed towards fans that followed the guy week in and week out. For Largent, just think how many other NFL fans know nothing about him and what he did? I would like to watch it, but I know most of the story. I would like my kids to watch to enrich their Hawk fandom though. It's one thing to tell them stories but to see his career play out on NFL network it's more impactful.

Largent was THE MAN for a long time in Seattle. He was the first sports hero for WA kids.

And when he retired he was without question the greatest WR of all time. That's big.

gonzhawk

Reaction score
Just reinforced for me why I have 3 of his jerseys, one in each uniform style! The Holmgren was a custom, and the new one you can buy already made. My old school away is my favorite.

GOAT for me, and always will be. Seahawks and NFL. Grew up watching Yoda.

And that cheapshot was really bad, a forearm shiver?
what would happen to that guy today? ejection? suspension?
that was a career ending choice that guy did to Largent!

Maybe I am oversensitive, but it was bad.
At least we beat his old team's ass in the Bowl!!!

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":2k4l55dn said:
irocdave":2k4l55dn said:

And when he retired he was without question the greatest WR of all time. That's big.
I love Steve as much as the next guy, but that's subjective. Lance Alworth, Don Hutson et.al. agree with me.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
gonzhawk":1cllxek1 said:
Just reinforced for me why I have 3 of his jerseys, one in each uniform style! The Holmgren was a custom, and the new one you can buy already made. My old school away is my favorite.

GOAT for me, and always will be. Seahawks and NFL. Grew up watching Yoda.

And that cheapshot was really bad, a forearm shiver?
what would happen to that guy today? ejection? suspension?
that was a career ending choice that guy did to Largent!

Maybe I am oversensitive, but it was bad.
At least we beat his old team's ass in the Bowl!!!

I'm amazed that Largent's teammates didn't go after Hardin, but it was a different time and hits like that were much more common. Now Hardin would have been suspended. The bastard got his in the end anyway.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Great, great segment on one hell of a player and even more of one hell of a man.

BlueThunder

Reaction score
I was moved to tears several times... Not only from the memories of seeing him play live, but being transported back to my early and mid 20's, and had several memories come raging back from those days... Damn... I was such a hard-core fan back then. Much more than I am now. Still a major fan now, but I was psychotic back then! lol! I remember losses back then where I'd lock myself in my room and brood in personal misery for hours in a pit of personal hell... I can see bits of my old self in some of the younger fans on this board nowadays...

You'll get beat down eventually, with parity and all and Pete leaving eventually... oh yes, you will... heh heh... :twisted: But there will be a portion of you that survive, like us old-timers on here... The TRUE die-hards. If you're one of 'em, pat yourself on the back, and love this team 'till ya die! :th2thumbs:

The few, The proud, through thick and thin 12's...

BOO YEAH!

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I love so much about this man as a father and human being. Like Wilson, these guys make you want to be better people and what better compliment is there in this world?

As far as football goes, I think the most telling aspect of why he was the player he was despite his size and speed was when he said, and I paraphrase...

"Everybody talked about looking the football in (to catch it). I took it a bit farther than that and thought about focusing in on the very tip of the football. I feel that helped me tremendously."

A small detail you would think but is one of the reasons he has a wonderful show about his career and SO well deserved.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I don't like engaging in these "best of all time" arguments. The game changes so much that comparing players from different eras is like comparing apples with oranges. But it is noteworthy that when he retired, he owned every receiving record in the book, including some that I'm sure he would own had they kept such stats, like fewest dropped passes per target.

Largent was without a doubt the best 3rd down possession receiver that I've ever seen. In today's game, he wouldn't have been a #1, but he would have made a fantastic slot receiver, finding the holes and seams in zone defenses after the two wide outs loosened up the coverage. Great route runner, even greater hands.

He was a really great teammate and had a rare trait in today's world of holdouts and me first-ism. Largent returned to the team when nearly all the rest of his teammates went out on strike, his logic being that when he signs his name, he gives his word and was going to honor his contract. Too bad Kam Chancellor didn't adapt a similar philosophy or we might not be in the predicament that we are now.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RiverDog":3ckqgp5l said:
He was a really great teammate and had a rare trait in today's world of holdouts and me first-ism. Largent returned to the team when nearly all the rest of his teammates went out on strike, his logic being that when he signs his name, he gives his word and was going to honor his contract. Too bad Kam Chancellor didn't adapt a similar philosophy or we might not be in the predicament that we are now.

Remember also, the strike was within a year of Largent's son Kramer being born. I remember Steve himself saying one of the reasons he crossed the strike line was because he was being buried by hospital and doctor bills for all of Kramer's care and therapy.

I think Largent at the height of his career only made like 700-800k a year? So it's not like those guys back then had 10M in bank to hang out for a year while the players went on strike not worrying about their bills.

I just finished the Football Life. Really well done, and confirms my love of Largent as my favorite all time player as a kid.

It was cool to see all those old TD catches that I haven't seen in 30 years. It's amazing how the mind just remembers those flashes in time.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
I think Largent would have thrived in today's NFL. When he was playing, DBs got away with much more contact then they do now, plus the hits he took are now outlawed. I think in a pass-first offense (Remember, he played for Ground Chuck most of his career) he would be a guy like Wes Welker or Julian Edleman with 100-plus catches a year. People say he was slow, but he had football speed. His 4.6 in the 40 didn't account for his quickness off the line or coming out of cuts. Plus, yes, he was probably the greatest route runner ever.

I really do believe he would own a lot of records today if he was retiring after a 14-year career this season.

drdiags

Reaction score
It was also an interesting peek into the dynamics of the Seahawks changing from Zorn to Krieg. Zorn's wife spoke about the awkwardness as Largent plays but her husband is relegated to the bench. Then there was Mudbone and how Zorn's and Largent's friendship must have made him the bad guy.

Glad to see Steve get a segment done on him. Would like to see one on Easley but that's because I am selfish. I feel for those Seahawks that missed the chance to play in a Superbowl. Just terrible timing for them that they couldn't close the deal on the Raiders that year. One of those bad Dave Krieg moments is how I remember it.