Seahawk offense in the 4th quarter

edogg23

Reaction score
Still did not improve.
3 plays -9 yards punt.
3 plays 4 yards punt.
7 plays 49ers are beyond done, game over.

This was against a 49er team that had already given up. I am happy the D found some swag but our offense is still stuck in ground hogs day in the 4th quater.

Basis4day

Reaction score
They played it safe after Wilson's 2nd interception.

OP
OP
E

edogg23

Reaction score
Basis4day":1rvu5qhm said:
They played it safe after Wilson's 2nd interception.
Which tells me they haven't learned a damn thing.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
edogg23":3qvk8g14 said:
Still did not improve.
3 plays -9 yards punt.
3 plays 4 yards punt.

This was against a 49er team that had already given up. I am happy the D found some swag but our offense is still stuck in ground hogs day in the 4th quater.

Are you willfully ignoring the drive that started in the 3rd quarter and ate up over five minutes of the 4th quarter, the one that ended in a field goal? They had the ball over 11 out of 15 minutes of the 4th quarter and got a field goal.

More points would have been better, but the clock destroying boring action was quite effective.

OP
OP
E

edogg23

Reaction score
bmorepunk":2to39hms said:
edogg23":2to39hms said:
Still did not improve.
3 plays -9 yards punt.
3 plays 4 yards punt.

Are you willfully ignoring the drive that started in the 3rd quarter and ate up over five minutes of the 4th quarter, the one that ended in a field goal? They had the ball over 11 out of 15 minutes of the 4th quarter and got a field goal.

More points would have been better, but the clock destroying boring action was quite effective.
Good point, I missed that one because it was half in the 3rd quater in the box score. Still doesn't instill much confidence against good teams in the future. With all the 3 and outs our own D forced, the 49ers should have been gassed at that point.

sutz

Reaction score
bmorepunk":cwvzd040 said:
edogg23":cwvzd040 said:
Still did not improve.
3 plays -9 yards punt.
3 plays 4 yards punt.

That's where I'm at. Sure, I want more scores and FDs in the 4th, but the D stepped up big time this game and sealed it.

I'm not unhappy.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Can't fault the play calls they were trying to run the ball and kill clock. Considering how effective Lynch was I would have given it to him everytime.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Only concern I have for this team now is pass protection. Run, Run, then on 3rd and 2-5, the defense sends the house, we punt.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
The offense in the 4th quarter is directly related to the defense in the 4th quarter. We've been losing TOP in the 4th by a large margin and the D has been on the field almost the entire 4th in every game and also the last half of the 3rd.

We got away with it this time, but the offenses lack of holding any drive together late in games has exacerbate any and all defensive struggles we've had.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
We killed the clock and got our line some more reps run blocking. It's what we had to do and that's how you play the game.

OP
OP
E

edogg23

Reaction score
I felt good about this game. Then slept on it and woke up realizing that I had just watched the same exact Seahawks team as before. The only difference was that the 49ers average 185 passing yards a game and don't posses the skills threaten our D late in the game.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
edogg23":8chg84b4 said:
I felt good about this game. Then slept on it and woke up realizing that I had just watched the same exact Seahawks team as before. The only difference was that the 49ers average 185 passing yards a game and don't posses the skills threaten our D late in the game.
Maybe you need a better mattress.

mrt144

Reaction score
I think a lot of this might have to do with mental and physical exhaustion on the O line - they're probably giving as much as they can through three quarters and have no sense of pace or technique from years of playing to make their jobs easier for themselves in terms of pure exertion. Thusly they are working harder for middling results relative to other O lines.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3odjyihq said:
The offense in the 4th quarter is directly related to the defense in the 4th quarter. We've been losing TOP in the 4th by a large margin and the D has been on the field almost the entire 4th in every game and also the last half of the 3rd.

We got away with it this time, but the offenses lack of holding any drive together late in games has exacerbate any and all defensive struggles we've had.

49ers had the ball for less than 4 minutes of the 4th quarter. What's the transition point between "getting away with it" and successfully keeping the other team off the field with a lead?

kearly

Reaction score
They also ended the game in victory formation. Nice for a change.

My only real gripe about this game is five sacks and two picks given up to a joke of a defense.

quneur

Reaction score
I think it has to do more with the lack of offensive production of the 49ers than how we played. Every time Kaep moved his throws were off, especially in the flat. Seattle also keyed in on Vernon Davis because he was probably the first option on passing plays. Second and third option was fairly ignored by Kaep. 49ers have their problems at the moment.

So, a lot of three and outs puts the defense in the field for way too long. Couple that with 49ers lack of depth, Seattle had the game in hand at the half. But lack of scoring in the middle of the third and fourth is somewhat alarming because any good team would have made holding the lead in doubt.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Lets not ignore this was a short week and an away game.

I'm a little concerned about the nature of the Int's but was completely fine with how they conducted the end of the game. We were running with good success. There really wasn't a big need to pass and even scoring more was not needed to accomplish the goal.

All things considered I was happy with what I felt was progress.

On a side note I thought Shead looked like he should be playing Corner full time.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
Lynch seemed like himself which was encouraging, but I'm still a bit disturbed by the lack of production in the 2nd half. If we were playing a better offense we may have found ourselves in a similar position as the last few losses.

I would really love to see the team surpass the 24 point hurdle and actually beat a team when our defense allows points. I'm pretty sure we are still winless in the Wilson era when the other team scores above that metric.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
They allowed the Digits less than 6 minutes on O, they closed out the game. It was classic Seahawks ball.

It was a good solid convincing W.

All this 31 points or bust nonsense so doesn't take into consideration they were playing on a short week and on the road.

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
But the point is that when offense has the ball, the mindset has to be to score. Two years ago, PC alluded to special teams / punting and improving field position through multiple 3 and outs- leading me to believe defense was there to give offense another try at trying.

I don't mind the ground and pound and 11 minutes of boredom. But our goal isn't to score. Bevell may or may not be useless, Russell may or may not be an ineffective game manager but neither of them push until they're dragging bodies in the streets.

RW may model his game after drew brees but not the mindset. Being to many saints games, even when they suck, the saints get on the field to score. Not win the turnover battle, not complete passes, to score. I don't particularly like their brand of football. I like the Hawks but stop thinking about run run pass and punt and what it takes to score.

Aaron Rogers is a scorer, not a qb as well.

RWs interceptions show a crack in the shell. Once we get out of our get 2 yard or bust mode and punt in 4th and 5 into let's score touchdowns. Well use tools better and we won't need 5 seconds of protection from the line to line up a 10 yard pass. Moving the ball 10 yards seems to be DB and RWs second goal. They would rather move 2 yards.

You can't score with our mindset. I did like the long passes. What the hell we had the lead let's take a shot. Cardinals and Rams have to study films too and they're always stacking the box.

If Kearse would have kept sprinting or RW throw a timing pass rather than a visual pass we could have added 7.