Sweezy's decline

Rob12

Reaction score
Is it just me, or is Sweezy the worst offensive lineman on this team AFTER Justin Britt?

His decline, to me at least, is an indictment on Tom Cable. Yeah, he can run block at times, but overall, Sweezy should be a back up. He gets absolutely destroyed in pass protection. He gets pushed back a lot on run plays. I don't know if he was just never that good to begin with, but this kid looks lost a lot of the time. I keyed in on him against the Panthers and he just continually got manhandled.

He's a poor man's James Carpenter. I think Seattle lets him walk next season. Gut feeling and all... But Glowinski seems to me to be a much better prospect.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
After Okung, I'd say Sweezy is the next best but you can pretty much rank the next 4 guys either way depending on the game.

Sweezy plays tough and has the mobility and strength, but he makes too many bad plays in pass pro. What I like though is his attitude of playing tough. He's the nasty thug linemen every line needs and plays with a ton of effort. The coaches love him and based on the tape I can only think it's because of the little things he does well at that's hard to measure.

Vesuve

Reaction score
Rob12":202tj0um said:
Is it just me, or is Sweezy the worst offensive lineman on this team AFTER Justin Britt?

His decline, to me at least, is an indictment on Tom Cable. Yeah, he can run block at times, but overall, Sweezy should be a back up. He gets absolutely destroyed in pass protection. He gets pushed back a lot on run plays. I don't know if he was just never that good to begin with, but this kid looks lost a lot of the time. I keyed in on him against the Panthers and he just continually got manhandled.

He's a poor man's James Carpenter. I think Seattle lets him walk next season. Gut feeling and all... But Glowinski seems to me to be a much better prospect.

On the topic of Sweezy and O-line, Alvin Baily lost his starting role as we know, but when he does play he looks bad.

Can some of you that are better at watching and evaluating O lineman add any info?

Baily looks bad.

seabowl

Reaction score
Rob12":o68ljeht said:

Glowinski a better prospect? I was going to start a thread about him last week but I'll make the comment here. How can he be a better prospect if he cannot even sniff playing on this terrible OL so far this year? Either they are working him in slowly or more likely he isn't good enough to play certainly at this point. I know we needed to save money after paying the core but what we have done is screwed ourselves by letting it get this bad. I cannot for the life of me understand how management would think that this mish mosh line would somehow become even decent.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Other than Okung way on the left wing, Sweezy is the most experienced OL. Unfortunately he's not experienced enough to compensate for the newbies around him and he becomes more error prone because of it. Instead of learning and growing from success on the line, he's stumbling more from all the potholes in the line.

Suspect he resigns for a reasonable $ amount. They like him and he probably doesn't have an overinflated sense of $$ value, so he may be ok with a minor bump to his rookie pay.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
My guess is that Glowinski, whilst probably better in pass pro, isn't as good in the run game and doesn't really justify starting over Sweezy. I think that rolling with Sweezy while we go back to the run game is not only sensible, but could see us net a decent comp pick in 2017.

Now if this was a matter of Glowinski replacing Britt...

Ozzy

Reaction score
I have no idea how Britt still starts. There has to be a way to shuffle people around and come up with a better starting unit. I think Pete/Cable are thinking that the current line will be better by the end of the year and they may be right. I'm just skeptical at this point. I hope I'm wrong though.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
austinslater25":1qn7oelu said:
I have no idea how Britt still starts. There has to be a way to shuffle people around and come up with a better starting unit. I think Pete/Cable are thinking that the current line will be better by the end of the year and they may be right. I'm just skeptical at this point. I hope I'm wrong though.

Pete has come right out and said that he expects this O-line to be rolling by the end of the year. I too have my doubts though.

nanomoz

Reaction score
To my untrained eye, both guards have been incredibly disappointing, especially in pass protection.

Holding out hope that it clicks for Britt. He should be able to play left guard at a high level--physically, at least. I don't know if the learning curve is higher than I would imagine, or if he's just prone to mental lapses.

GLO-WIN-SKI (maybe?)!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
No, next to Okung he's our most consistent lineman.

Now that's not saying much seeing as other than these two guys our line is a dumpster fire. I would like to see some more progression and improvement out of Sweezy in pass protection. He's played long enough for us to see noticeable improvement in that area.

But he's still a very good road grating run blocker.

Mojambo

Reaction score
I think Tom Cable's blocking scheme is needlessly complicated.

Which is odd, because Carroll kind of stresses simplicity in every other area of the team.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I believe Sweezy has reached his peak. He looks better than he is because the Seahawk OL as a whole is poor. Hell Okung makes stupid mistakes and he's the top lineman for Seahawks. Britt and Sweezy wouldn't be starters on most teams. The problem with Sweezy is that he continues to make the same mistakes. It's like he's not even learning to correct them. Cable is overrated too. His lack of finding real talent on the OL is hurting the team. His highest OL pick in the 2015 NFL draft is a PS player.

Bwarren

Reaction score
they as a group are horrible in pass pro. Slow feet and over reaching. They extend too much and puts them way off balance. That's why they get a lot of penalties when they get beat they have to grab and they over extend and their feet can't catch a D-lineman on their edge. That's why it looks at times that they miss a block completely. they all do it. Also they don't get low enough on run blocking. Haven't had to since lynch runs so low and with power. Hurts them on short yardage. The super bowl line was not a great line either but they had one good characteristic.....They were nasty. Cable doesn't seem to be correcting it or these guys just don't have the ability to do what he is coaching.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We brought in a bunch of guys and developed them for a strategy that we are now not following.
Our offensive line is built to run the ball.

The problem is that we are trying to win by passing, which won't work. In fact, the balance of this offense still depends on the run being the primary threat.

So yeah Sweezy is not producing as a pass protector because his value is as a run blocker. Same with most of the rest of the line.

It comes down to a fundamental realization that this team runs to win, and passes to keep the chains moving or occasionally score. Trying to flip that equation is flipping our Ws into Ls.

It is a big mistake to try to make the engine of the team the QB, because our line does not support it (and thus Sweezy and others struggle at their jobs accordingly). The line looks terrible because it is being asked to do something it isn't built to do. Now could it run block better? Yes, but last year we did have a lot effectiveness running with some of the same guys - so the problem is:

1 - New guys making it harder on the others

2 - Everyone being asked to do things they really are not put together to do.

3 - Getting away from running to win.

Russell is not ready yet and this team will have to endure 2-3 years of losing any shot at competing for a SB if it wants to turn into a passing team.

QBs that are developing struggle. Just like Luck is doing now. And for all the feting that people are doing for Hasselbeck, I remember the crowd chanting the name of the other guy because Hasselbeck was terrible. He had to learn how to manipulate the defense, what worked and what didn't, where his limits were and where he just thought they were.

He had to develop his decision-making and to figure out how to use his own offensive options. That took time, and during that time - the offense struggled.

But even the good ones have some down years when more of the responsibility for the offense is heaped on them. Maybe Brady or Payton did not experience those dips quite so much, but Wilson is no Brady or Payton. That isn't an insult, hardly any QBs are either.

So instead of trying to put together a passing offense, which isn't something this team is built for and isn't something this QB can shoulder anyway - we need to focus on running the ball, passing in play action and running the RO. Or just admitting we are going to have to transition more of the offense to Wilson and this team won't be in contention for the SB for a 2-3 years as Wilson gets some more development in, and the team gets more supporting resources (line, WRs, etc) for him.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":17tjszsf said:
We need to stop drafting D line types and trying to convert them to O line.

Once is a novelty. Now its just silly.
At the very least we shouldn't make them starters right away.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3c39346q said:
I believe Sweezy has reached his peak. He looks better than he is because the Seahawk OL as a whole is poor. Hell Okung makes stupid mistakes and he's the top lineman for Seahawks. Okung and Sweezy wouldn't be top lineman on most teams. The problem with Sweezy is that he continues to make the same mistakes. It's like he's not even learning to correct them. Cable is overrated too. His lack of finding real talent on the OL is hurting the team. His highest OL pick in the 2015 NFL draft is a PS player.

Okung is a better LT than many other teams have. He's no Joe Thomas, but he's above average. The problem is his injury history and his ability to get stupid penalties at seemingly the worst times.

lobohawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3sbt7vq2 said:
We brought in a bunch of guys and developed them for a strategy that we are now not following.

The problem is that we are trying to win by passing, which won't work. In fact, the balance of this offense still depends on the run being the primary threat.

So yeah Sweezy is not producing as a pass protector because his value is as a run blocker. Same with most of the rest of the line.

It comes down to a fundamental realization that this team runs to win, and passes to keep the chains moving or occasionally score. Trying to flip that equation is flipping our Ws into Ls.

It is a big mistake to try to make the engine of the team the QB, because our line does not support it (and thus Sweezy and others struggle at their jobs accordingly). The line looks terrible because it is being asked to do something it isn't built to do. Now could it run block better? Yes, but last year we did have a lot effectiveness running with some of the same guys - so the problem is:

Russell is not ready yet and this team will have to endure 2-3 years of losing any shot at competing for a SB if it wants to turn into a passing team.

QBs that are developing struggle. Just like Luck is doing now. And for all the feting that people are doing for Hasselbeck, I remember the crowd chanting the name of the other guy because Hasselbeck was terrible. He had to learn how to manipulate the defense, what worked and what didn't, where his limits were and where he just thought they were.

He had to develop his decision-making and to figure out how to use his own offensive options. That took time, and during that time - the offense struggled.

But even the good ones have some down years when more of the responsibility for the offense is heaped on them. Maybe Brady or Payton did not experience those dips quite so much, but Wilson is no Brady or Payton. That isn't an insult, hardly any QBs are either.

So instead of trying to put together a passing offense, which isn't something this team is built for and isn't something this QB can shoulder anyway - we need to focus on running the ball, passing in play action and running the RO. Or just admitting we are going to have to transition more of the offense to Wilson and this team won't be in contention for the SB for a 2-3 years as Wilson gets some more development in, and the team gets more supporting resources (line, WRs, etc) for him.

On point with this.

Only disagreement is in this, "Maybe Brady or Payton did not experience those dips quite so much, but Wilson is no Brady or Payton." Brady wasn't "Brady" until after his 6th year. In his 7th year he blew up to become the new Brady everyone imagines.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":zhmrmpov said:
My guess is that Glowinski, whilst probably better in pass pro, isn't as good in the run game and doesn't really justify starting over Sweezy. I think that rolling with Sweezy while we go back to the run game is not only sensible, but could see us net a decent comp pick in 2017.

Now if this was a matter of Glowinski replacing Britt...
How would we get a comp pick?

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":11j5zmx1 said:

good post