Rotating OL like the DL

The Twelvethman

Reaction score
From a non fundamentals guy I want to ask this question in the least stupid way i can. Why dont they rotate OL like the defense, as in, best player for the play in that position?

seabowl

Reaction score
EmbattleTheeHawks":4813qtlp said:
From a non fundamentals guy I want to ask this question in the least stupid way i can. Why dont they rotate OL like the defense, as in, best player for the play in that position?

With OL you need to work together as one unit and need cohesiveness. By rotating players I don't think you'll get them accustomed to playing together to jell. Hell without rotating they still can't jell.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
ludakrishna":1hzm8t6c said:
Patriots are doing it this season. We may not be smart enough.
The Patriots also have Tom Brady, a QB that is able to consistently make his line look better than it really is. They also focus on a quick hitting offense, the exact opposite of what the Seahawks like to do.

Seahawks1Fan

Reaction score
I agree with Doc. If Wilson threw 90% of his passes only 5 yards like Brady does then our line might not be as terrible.
Or maybe they still would :pukeface:

But the point is that Brady throws 30 slant/crossing routes a game and we throw none....or maybe 1... and no, stupid bubble screens don't count!! :D

ludakrishna

Reaction score
Seahawks1Fan":1dax3b8g said:
I agree with Doc. If Wilson threw 90% of his passes only 5 yards like Brady does then our line might not be as terrible.

But the point is that Brady throws 30 slant/crossing routes a game and we throw none....or maybe 1... and no, stupid bubble screens don't count!! :D

McDaniels understands the quick pass game. Bevell thinks that quick passes mean throwing a 30 yd pass rather than a 50 yd pass because it takes less time to develop. The SB broke his confidence in the slant game and needed to be fired. All I see is run or a playaction 50 yd bomb.

Jville

Reaction score
ludakrishna":234uq8b2 said:

That is just blatantly false.

It is not smart to make such stuff up. It is a disservice to .net

The Patriots do not rotate their offensive line for match up purposes. Persistent injuries have forced lineup changes this season ..... not match ups. Their week to week injury reports bear that out. They currently have only 8 offensive linemen on their active roster.

Do your homework.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Jville":4w1qg3os said:
ludakrishna":4w1qg3os said:

The Patriots do not rotate their offensive line for match up purposes. Persistent injuries have forced lineup changes this season ..... not match ups. Their week to week injury reports bear that out. They currently have only 8 offensive linemen on their active roster.

Do your homework.

He is correct J. I don't know why they are doing it, or how they are making it work, but they are rotating. On what, I have no clue. :p

"The team has been rotating their line on the interior to a rare degree in professional football, and it's working out quite well. The Boston Herald broke down the rotation, primarily at guard, in an intriguing article this week."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... e-rotation

"Patriots' innovative offensive line combos make foes dizzy"

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/patr ... foes_dizzy

Jville

Reaction score
ivotuk":iwtb42xd said:
Jville":iwtb42xd said:
ludakrishna":iwtb42xd said:

Do your homework.

He is correct J. I don't know why they are doing it, or how they are making it work, but they are rotating. On what, I have no clue. :p

"The team has been rotating their line on the interior to a rare degree in professional football, and it's working out quite well. The Boston Herald broke down the rotation, primarily at guard, in an intriguing article this week."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... e-rotation

"Patriots' innovative offensive line combos make foes dizzy"

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/patr ... foes_dizzy

My oh' my. And their doing it with all the week to week injuries they have had? And with only eight linemen? It must be this year's wrinkle. Kind of like tackle eligible and tackle ineligible reporting. Something to put the opponent off balance. How Belichick!

PS: Thanks for the links ivotuk and my appologies to ludakrishna

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
It is this year's wrinkle. Very interesting experiment. Seattle already does this to a lesser degree by having players learn redundant positions. The Pats have the similar philosophy, but go the extra step and apply it in games.

The conventional wisdom says your line has to 'gel' to be effective. I'm wondering if that's even true. It would seem that this kind of planned rotation would lessen the impact of inserting players into the lineup in emergency situations by already having a framework of plays/packages that they can already be prepared for as part of the game prep/practice week. So that by the end of the year, they have more collective game experience under their belts. Kind of giving their rooks a manageable chunk of plays/responsibilities to digest throughout the year.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
ludakrishna":2hblncbk said:
Seahawks1Fan":2hblncbk said:

McDaniels understands the quick pass game. Bevell thinks that quick passes mean throwing a 30 yd pass rather than a 50 yd pass because it takes less time to develop. The SB broke his confidence in the slant game and needed to be fired. All I see is run or a playaction 50 yd bomb.

If you think Russell can complete the same types of the throws that Brady is currently feasting on, i.e. crossers in every area of the field, then I think you are sadly mistaken.

There is a reason why we have to dream up different types of short throws for Russell. He will never consistently make the same throws that a 6'4" pocket legend makes. I'm not sure how people don't see this yet. The scheme that New England runs right now would not help him at all.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Because it requires the one thing we don't have on the O-line, quality depth.

Hell, we barely have 5 starters that can hold onto their jobs week to week, let along 3-4 other guys who can come in and not look like high schoolers.

chris98251

Reaction score
Patriots don't have a bunch of DL converts and guys that are still learning new positions, much easier when you have guys that know what they are suppose to do and have the technique down.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3u6wixuq said:
If you think Russell can complete the same types of the throws that Brady is currently feasting on, i.e. crossers in every area of the field, then I think you are sadly mistaken.

I think it's worth mentioning, that Brady is a unique cat. I don't really think it has as much to do with size. There are 20 some other QBs in this league that aren't short who can't perform like Brady either. It has so much more to do with skill/ability than physical shortcomings.

Brady has ridiculous anticipation. He delivers throws to receivers who aren't yet open. Many haven't even begun their break yet. He can anticipate openings and deliver the ball the moment the separation begins. Wilson is not near that level. Most QBs don't even get to that level.

The quick passing game works great for Brady, because he gets the ball where it needs to be at the earliest moment -- giving his WRs the ability to gain valuable yards after the catch despite very little separation in the routes. That didn't happen overnight for Brady. It took him many years to hone his craft to be able to do that.

It's entirely likely that Wilson never attains a semblance of that kind of anticipation. It wouldn't be a crime if he doesn't. So very few franchise QBs ever get close. Although if Wilson did get close, he'd be an absolute nightmare of a QB for opponents. Because his mobility restricts how a defense can cheat in coverage in ways that Brady could never enjoy.

hawks85

Reaction score
Seahawks1Fan":1he8515c said:

well maybe we can trade for there OC. :lol:

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Patriots are probably subbing to see which group works best. It's nearly impossible to simulate actual game play. I'm guessing Belichick then analyzes the tape to see who is playing the most consistent. Belichick is most likely trying to expedite his Oline play to his acceptable play level by playoff time. I do not remember a Belichick era Patriots team not having a quality Oline.

As for the comparison to subbing the Oline like teams sub the Dline, it's simply not the same. Not because one is offense and one is defense, it's because it does not take nearly as much energy to play Oline as it does to play Dline. Even pass protecting takes less energy than run blocking, as opposed to the Dline where run defense and pass rushing are very intense.

mrt144

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":103nbw75 said:
Patriots are probably subbing to see which group works best. It's nearly impossible to simulate actual game play. I'm guessing Belichick then analyzes the tape to see who is playing the most consistent. Belichick is most likely trying to expedite his Oline play to his acceptable play level by playoff time. I do not remember a Belichick era Patriots team not having a quality Oline.

As for the comparison to subbing the Oline like teams sub the Dline, it's simply not the same. Not because one is offense and one is defense, it's because it does not take nearly as much energy to play Oline as it does to play Dline. Even pass protecting takes less energy than run blocking, as opposed to the Dline where run defense and pass rushing are very intense.

The way the Hawks OL exert themselves flailing about maybe it makes sense they're wiped like d linemen.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
EmbattleTheeHawks":fpzq6ic9 said:

I don't think anyone really answered the question.

It is easier to play early and rotate in Defensive Linemen because there is less mental preparation for those positions. One mistake on the DL can be masked by a great play by another player or by the players athleticism. One mental error for an offensive lineman can lead to a season ending injury for your QB.

The bottom line is that it takes more trust to throw an offensive lineman in a game who hasn't played much. There is so much more to know and learn.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
With Okung's health we've been rotating the OL for years. We are trend setters