Graham the man, Kearse shut down

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Graham had what I believe without looking, might be a season high 10 targets today, catching 7 for 75 yds. That's as many targets as the next two Seahawks combined, Baldwin and Lockett. He and Lynch were todays offense. Wilson grabbed some valuable yardage in the last two drives.

Kearse, however, was only targeted once and did not have a reception. Kearse has been our most consistent deep threat this season with his 16.1 ypc and he has the longest catch of the season. He's our deep threat. The Cowboys shut him down (unless he got injured early and I didn't see it.) With our big play threat shut down, the offense struggled and had to grind out yardage.

Wilson was not sacked, though he had 6 QB Hits, so while that oline sucks, the Cowboys obviously had a game plan to take away the deep threat and shut down Kearse. Either that, or the Bevell had a game plan to feed it to Graham and ignore Kearse. I doubt that given how much he loves throwing deep on 2nd and 10.

Okay, I've gotta shut up on Bevell. We all do. It's pointless. He's here, he aint leaving anytime soon.

Anyways, Kearse has been kinda our secret weapon. He's not really noticed by a lot of teams. He's our deep threat. When we last targeted him less than 4 times was against Detroit, when we went to him twice. We scored 13 that game.

Vs the Packers, Kearse targeted twice, team held to 17.

Our highest scoring game? 31 pts vs the Rams. We targeted Kearse 10 times.

A lot of folks got concerned we weren't targeting Jimmy Graham enough, but so far this year, the data suggest that if we don't go to Kearse, we don't score much.

OP
OP
SalishHawkFan

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
northseahawk":thzex433 said:
Doesn't take much to shut down the Wilson-Kearse connection.
Rams couldn't do it with their front 7, so it's not the oline that keeps us from hitting Kearse deep. The answer lies in the secondary or else it's the play calling.

titan3131

Reaction score
Kearse adds nothing to the team. Deadweight has to be trimmed for the future.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":3c6n2ndi said:
Kearse has been our most consistent deep threat this season with his 16.1 ypc and he has the longest catch of the season. He's our deep threat.

Getting open on scramble drills does not make him a deep threat. There's very little about Kearse, from either a physical or a technique standpoint, that makes him remarkable. No defensive coordinator out there is staying awake at night thinking about him.

Like most of Seattle's WR corps, he's clutch when Wilson buys him an opportunity and that's about it.

OP
OP
SalishHawkFan

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":c9fz57bn said:
SalishHawkFan":c9fz57bn said:
Kearse has been our most consistent deep threat this season with his 16.1 ypc and he has the longest catch of the season. He's our deep threat.

Getting open on scramble drills does not make him a deep threat. There's very little about Kearse, from either a physical or a technique standpoint, that makes him remarkable. No defensive coordinator out there is staying awake at night thinking about him.

Like most of Seattle's WR corps, he's clutch when Wilson buys him an opportunity and that's about it.

Riiiiight. So why is it then, that Football Outsiders ranks him 7th in the NFL in DVOA?

People here have no clue about WR's and never have.

Mojambo

Reaction score
We're going to get significantly better when Richardson is getting Kearse's snaps. Hopefully soon.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":r7sgj1ry said:
Riiiiight. So why is it then, that Football Outsiders ranks him 7th in the NFL in DVOA?

He isn't. He's rated #23, and DVOA doesn't take into account the improvisational nature of his receptions. Every receiver on either side of him in that rating is doing a lot more to get open and earn looks.

2_0_6

Reaction score
I was wondering if Kearse has been fully healthy. He was never a burner, but he seems like is much slower than last year.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":3upa80hb said:
MontanaHawk05":3upa80hb said:
SalishHawkFan":3upa80hb said:

You are a people here, right? So I guess you have no clue either. And apparently, never will.

Condescension sucks.

kobebryant

Reaction score
titan3131":11zpszyx said:
Kearse adds nothing to the team. Deadweight has to be trimmed for the future.

He has, in the past, added clutch plays in big moments (4th and 7 TD in the 4th q NFCCG vs San Fran, 4th Q TD in Super Bowl vs Broncos, game winner NFCCG vs Green Bay, final drive tip catch in the Super Bowl vs Patriots). Admittedly, it is completely impossible to know if any of that is sustainable going forward.

Not sure if there's ever been a more average performer in sports to have as many big moments as Kearse has had, maybe Robert Horry.

rideaducati

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":1dprpdzx said:
MontanaHawk05":1dprpdzx said:
SalishHawkFan":1dprpdzx said:

7th? Cool. Find me a human being that would pick Kearse in the top 40 of wide receivers in the NFL today.

OP
OP
SalishHawkFan

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3upigllj said:
SalishHawkFan":3upigllj said:

He isn't. He's rated #23, and DVOA doesn't take into account the improvisational nature of his receptions. Every receiver on either side of him in that rating is doing a lot more to get open and earn looks.
You're reading the chart wrong. That's his DYAR score. Which is more a measure of raw numbers. Passing teams are easier to rack up DYAR on. Actual per play value, DVOA, has Kearse ranked 7th. That's a better measurement of his value.

OP
OP
SalishHawkFan

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
rideaducati":1e5qp18e said:
SalishHawkFan":1e5qp18e said:
MontanaHawk05":1e5qp18e said:
SalishHawkFan":1e5qp18e said:

7th? Cool. Find me a human being that would pick Kearse in the top 40 of wide receivers in the NFL today.
I'll find you three: Pete Carroll, Russell Wilson and John Schneider.

OP
OP
SalishHawkFan

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3osnm3kf said:
SalishHawkFan":3osnm3kf said:
MontanaHawk05":3osnm3kf said:
SalishHawkFan":3osnm3kf said:

You are a people here, right? So I guess you have no clue either. And apparently, never will.

Condescension sucks.
Well, Scotte, I suppose you have a point, but I stand by my assertion, though not to try to sound concescending, but ever since the Holmgren days all I ever hear is how rotten our WR corps is. DJack sucked, Kearse sucks, Rice sucked. About the only WR that everyone liked was Engram.

We had a great offense in 2005 but supposedly our WR corps sucked.

I'm not trying to be condescending, I'm just tired of it.