Great Win with areas to improve.

RW92

Reaction score
Hey it was a great win today. Take them however they may come no matter the differential. But we still need to improve the pass rush especially up the middle. There is nothing like having pressure directly up the middle and preventing the quarterback from either stepping up in the pocket or flushing him out to one of the side rushers. I find that when Bennett is over center and pushes from the middle we are most successful. Rubin, nor Mebane seem to get the penetration that you need. I would play Frank Clark more at end and move Bennett over center and see if this makes us stronger. We can't continue not getting to the quarterback in key moments, to get off the field on 3rd down, if we expect to play deep into January.

The last point I would like to make is the again the lack of separation of our wide receivers. Right now I don't even know why Kearse is playing. He literally doesn't add any upside to the offense. Flat out, he can't get open or any separation. He has lost his speed at a young age. Baldwin can still add verteran value but Jimmy Graham down the seam, Tyler, Matthews, and Ricardo (up until he took that cheap shot) are our core receivers. We have a difficult time striking deep down field, which you need to beat the better teams. That's where I would try either Ricardo or Matthews who has great leaping ability and height to catch over the defender. Tyler can go deep at times and stretch the field with his speed but has a difficult time climbing the ladder to go after that deep ball in traffic. We have to start utilizing our wide outs for what they do best and not make them into something that they are not. Go deep with the guys who can get separation, and underneath, to the flat or in the seam for those guys who can catch over the middle in traffic. Graham is coming on. Gets stronger each game. And the O-line is improving with each snap. I'm not sure how Paul Richardson will look when he returns. Maybe he could be an answer for some of our concerns. Until then we must get ready for Arizona. Hopefully the bye week will give Pete time to reassess the talent on the team at 4-4, and make the necessary changes or improvements to get this team into the playoffs.

Glad we won that game. Makes the bye week a heck of a lot better.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Obviously, with our run first philosophy, our WR's will never put up big numbers. So even on Football Outsiders, their DYAR numbers are muted. Which is why you get a better sense of how good our WR corps really is when you look at their DVOA.

Kearse is ranked 7th in the NFL.

Baldwin is ranked 9th.

Kearse is our deep threat. He averages more ypc than any other receiver with enough catches to qualify. Lockette averages more, but he barely ever makes a catch. That's been true for a few years now, btw. Even with PRich, our primary deep threat has always been Kearse.

People love on PRich and hate on Kearse. I don't get it. Kearse only come through in the clutch and is our deep threat. PRich was averages a pathetic 9.3 ypc on 43 targets. That sucks. He's a rookie, so that's fine, but why the love for PRich on this board and the hate for Kearse.

Kearse is constantly being dismissed around here. His numbers don't bear that out. His highlight reel REALLY doesn't bear that out and the eye test doesn't bear that out.

Kearse's only weakness is when he doesn't catch the ball, he has a tendency to bat it upwards and cause a pick. That's really annoying. He's not a superstar, he's not elite, but he's a very good deep threat. Not just on scramble plays. Usually, those passes to go ADB. They hit Kearse when they see the matchup.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I think some of the people want some hope that we will get better.

As if the solution was simply to replace Kearse with PRich.

Never really acknowledging the fact that Kearse might be getting more balls thrown to him because Wilson likes him and trusts him. So the fault would be Wilson, not Kearse.

What Kearse HAS done is come through in the clutch repeatedly for this team. But for Kearse, they don't even make the SB they won in the first place. His catch against SF sealed that one.

But there is just a lot of Kearse hatred out there, in most instances undeserved.

...btw it was a win. But I don't think you get to use the term 'great win' when you squeak by a team with 2 wins that using its backup QB.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Kearse is only going to be able to live off the past for so long.

He's not making much of an impact this season.

firebee

Reaction score
RW92":2jv2n3my said:
Hey it was a great win today. Take them however they may come no matter the differential. But we still need to improve the pass rush especially up the middle. There is nothing like having pressure directly up the middle and preventing the quarterback from either stepping up in the pocket or flushing him out to one of the side rushers. I find that when Bennett is over center and pushes from the middle we are most successful. Rubin, nor Mebane seem to get the penetration that you need. I would play Frank Clark more at end and move Bennett over center and see if this makes us stronger. We can't continue not getting to the quarterback in key moments, to get off the field on 3rd down, if we expect to play deep into January.

The last point I would like to make is the again the lack of separation of our wide receivers. Right now I don't even know why Kearse is playing. He literally doesn't add any upside to the offense. Flat out, he can't get open or any separation. He has lost his speed at a young age. Baldwin can still add verteran value but Jimmy Graham down the seam, Tyler, Matthews, and Ricardo (up until he took that cheap shot) are our core receivers. We have a difficult time striking deep down field, which you need to beat the better teams. That's where I would try either Ricardo or Matthews who has great leaping ability and height to catch over the defender. Tyler can go deep at times and stretch the field with his speed but has a difficult time climbing the ladder to go after that deep ball in traffic. We have to start utilizing our wide outs for what they do best and not make them into something that they are not. Go deep with the guys who can get separation, and underneath, to the flat or in the seam for those guys who can catch over the middle in traffic. Graham is coming on. Gets stronger each game. And the O-line is improving with each snap. I'm not sure how Paul Richardson will look when he returns. Maybe he could be an answer for some of our concerns. Until then we must get ready for Arizona. Hopefully the bye week will give Pete time to reassess the talent on the team at 4-4, and make the necessary changes or improvements to get this team into the playoffs.

Glad we won that game. Makes the bye week a heck of a lot better.

Our defense is fine... Dallas has one of the best offensive lines in the NFL. I thought they were going to run us over with McFadden, but thankfully... They had to pass at the end of the game. Dallas didn't get in the endzone... that's all that matters. I would like to see some turnovers bounce our way, but I'm happy with a defense that only gives up FGs. That's a defense that can win games.

Russell Wilson played a great game. Their were a few missed opportunities on some catchable passes that were dropped and Hardy made a great play on that interception, which makes Wilson's statline look not so great, but he played a great game. He took what the defense gave him and he didn't cough the ball up by trying to force the issue downfield or make stupid decisions. I don't care if Russell Wilson doesn't complete a pass for 20+ yards the rest of the year. As long as he makes completions, makes good decisions, protects the ball and puts together drives; we'll win more often than not.

My biggest disappointment was the lack of a running game against Dallas. We should be running the ball on 1st down 3 out of 4 times. Our backs should be running the ball, at least, as many times as Wilson passes the ball. If Wilson passes the ball more than we run the ball with Lynch and Rawls, especially against a defense that's suspect against the run like Dallas; our offense isn't being ran like it should be ran. We sustained drives with good runs on the 1st drive and in the 4th quarter. Why did we, pretty much, abandon the run in the 2nd and 3rd quarters? We had a 2-1 ratio on passing vs. rushing in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

Exittium

Reaction score
Man i wish some of you would stop drooling and complimenting the dallas oline.. It WAS great but I
in this game. Watch the 22 or dvr and im sure you will see they held Bennett or avril.. Or both about a good 90% without ever being flagged. It was infuriating

firebee

Reaction score
The refs didn't really call holding on anybody this game.... at least not in the trenches. Only holding called was on the outside in the open.... and holding could be called on almost every play... plus we got away with a few favorable muffed calls. You could definitely complain about the officiating in this game, but I'd rather officials let the players play for the most part rather than have refs dictate a game with a flag thrown every other play.