Post-game Gifs @DAL (2nd half)

Laloosh

Reaction score
Sticking to passing plays until we have the all 22.

CJsYWwm.gif

AIP2rmk

EkUFG20

BGwxDGu

E35ZPBG

PnRSuyp

0aon3v6

WmRAsYm

S2hNAbb

Y4iLt5V

Sk9lA42

NAMRa49

This is why I want to punch Bevell in the throat.
YRDcoCS

lobohawk

Reaction score
On that last clip (3rd goal at 2:00). Pete mentioned on Brock & Salk that Wilson wasn't to throw there unless it was an obvious TD or completion in bounds. Otherwise go down so the clock runs.

Can't tell from the view, but it looked like a moment he could have lofted one just before hitting the line. The D was crashing in on him.

Not a fan of the play, but unlike the infamous Super Bowl play Wilson has a chance to "see" before throwing.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Laloosh":3g7xn1sa said:
YRDcoCS.gif

That play call would have lost us the game if Dallas had managed to get in field goal range.

Bevell = :34853_doh:

Though, overall, this was probably the best play calling we have seen all season.

Hawks46

Reaction score
lobohawk":21ogmpjm said:
On that last clip (3rd goal at 2:00). Pete mentioned on Brock & Salk that Wilson wasn't to throw there unless it was an obvious TD or completion in bounds. Otherwise go down so the clock runs.

Can't tell from the view, but it looked like a moment he could have lofted one just before hitting the line. The D was crashing in on him.

Not a fan of the play, but unlike the infamous Super Bowl play Wilson has a chance to "see" before throwing.

Oh I'd totally agree. But that's the thing that pisses me off: we throw on a down that you obviously don't want to throw on, then run the ball with 2:07 left. Running the ball to burn :07 is useless and stupid. Especially when the defense KNOWS we're going to do it. So how about I back, 2 TE formation, with play action ? Take your shot when the defense could be surprised. If the play isn't there, makes sure you burn enough time to get to the 2 min warning then throw it away. You're in the same position, but took a quality shot at the end zone.

This is why we have the worst situational play calling in the NFL.

Crizilla

Reaction score
i said this yesterday
but im really sick of seeing Wilson roll back so much, only to throw the ball NOT EVEN BACK TO THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE (or at the line of scrimmage)

also why didnt we do something like this in the Owl?

YRDcoCS.gif

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
hawknation2015":t4cmlc6u said:
Laloosh":t4cmlc6u said:
YRDcoCS.gif

That play call would have lost us the game if Dallas had managed to get in field goal range.

Bevell = :34853_doh:

Though, overall, this was probably the best play calling we have seen all season.

Apologies, Hawknation. I edited your post when I meant to quote it.

I'm pretty sure that's #88 run blocking on that play. I mean, maybe we could have put him in the big box that gets you points? Just maybe?

I know, I know... I'm not an NFL OC.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Hawks46":1wog55l2 said:
lobohawk":1wog55l2 said:

Oh I'd totally agree. But that's the thing that pisses me off: we throw on a down that you obviously don't want to throw on, then run the ball with 2:07 left. Running the ball to burn :07 is useless and stupid. Especially when the defense KNOWS we're going to do it. So how about I back, 2 TE formation, with play action ? Take your shot when the defense could be surprised. If the play isn't there, makes sure you burn enough time to get to the 2 min warning then throw it away. You're in the same position, but took a quality shot at the end zone.

This is why we have the worst situational play calling in the NFL.

It's not like the Seahawks were going to run seven seconds off the clock with a pass play. IF they try a pass that doesn't work and doesn't get them to the two minute warning, they have to kick the field goal at the two minute warning instead of running the clock down with a play after the two minute warning THEN kick the field goal. It was the right call to run the ball there. They should have run up the middle on the previous downs instead of outside where Lynch went out of bounds...twice. I wish they were a little more aggressive in the red zone. They have good weapons, but they aren't using them.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
lobohawk":28pygawu said:

Yup. This is the type of play I wish they had run in the Super Bowl.

I don't really have a problem with this play in this situation though either. Like you said, it gives Wilson time to survey the field and he can slide down at any point to let the clock run. It's conservative, but it gives Wilson more options than just dropping back and risking a sack/fumble or a hurried throw.

kearly

Reaction score
Laloosh":33ffhj0c said:
YRDcoCS.gif

I'm not a Bevell supporter but I'm shocked anyone would criticize this playcall. It maximized Seattle's win probability because it allowed them to run the clock while still having a legit shot at a TD pass if it were open enough. There was also a slim chance Wilson could have scored with his feet.

Dallas' offense had absolutely zero ability to push the pace all day so giving them the ball with ~40 fewer seconds was a really big deal.

No matter what, Seattle had to run the clock on that play or score. That play gave Seattle the highest possible chance of obtaining one of those two outcomes, and it did exactly that. Sure, Dallas could have driven down the field and won with a little over a minute left, but history tells us this outcome, especially with no timeouts and a backup QB, is highly unlikely. Taking that 40+ seconds off the clock very likely boosted Seattle's win probability from something like 60% to 80%. Just guessing though, because I can't find any win probability charts this season with advanced NFL stats being in a site shuffle.

Now, there were two terrible playcalls that preceded this play. Lynch running WAY off tackle in a clock running situation. Lynch running out of bounds with 2:07 left was a HUMONGOUS mistake, but I put that as much on Bevell than I do on Lynch for having a brainfart. Bevell should have never called a run with a real chance to go out of bounds in that situation. To make things worse, the very next run Seattle ran off tackle again, proving that Bevell didn't even learn from the mistake.

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
kearly":nh09hxpu said:
Laloosh":nh09hxpu said:
YRDcoCS.gif

I'm not a Bevell supporter but I'm shocked anyone would criticize this playcall. It maximized Seattle's win probability because it allowed them to run the clock while still having a legit shot at a TD pass if it were open enough. There was also a slim chance Wilson could have scored with his feet.

Dallas' offense had absolutely zero ability to push the pace all day so giving them the ball with 45 fewer seconds was a really big deal.

No matter what, Seattle had to run the clock on that play or score. That play gave Seattle the highest possible chance of obtaining one of those two outcomes, and it did exactly that.

Now, there were two terrible playcalls that preceded this play. Lynch running WAY off tackle in a clock running situation. Lynch running out of bounds with 2:07 left was a HUMONGOUS mistake, but I put that as much on Bevell than I do on Lynch for having a brainfart. Bevell should have never called a run with a real chance to go out of bounds in that situation. To make things worse, the very next run Seattle ran off tackle again, proving that Bevell didn't even learn from the mistake.

I'm fine with running PA and just running the clock unless something is wide open but why not run something that gets your receiving threats into the end zone? What was Lockett's role on this play? How did it impact the defense?

I'm wrong all the time but I'm not understanding the reasoning behind Lockett and Graham both posing no end zone threat here.

kearly

Reaction score
Looks like they needed a TE to seal the edge for the bootleg, and as sad as it is, Graham is probably our best pass blocking TE at this point. I think this is less a criticism of the call and more a criticism of the FO ignoring blocking TE this offseason.

As far as Lockett's route, I think they wanted something there that was super safe. If Wilson throws to Lockette it's a very high percentage catch and then maybe Lockett makes a guy miss and gets into the EZ.

Kearse appears to be open enough, at least from the broadcast angle, but I respect Wilson's decision to play it safe.

It was a situation that screamed for a conservative call, and it helped improve Seattle's chances to win significantly. It's times like this I really wish I had the WP chart.

seahawks08

Reaction score
That was a perfect play call, if we had a team like GB, we would have not done that. I was baffeld by Dallas calling the early timeouts, when they could have waited. Anyways, it was a great win, otherwise my whole Dallas trip would have been painful on the flight back home.