An odd "proposed trade" from Adam Schefter

marko358

Reaction score
Just read this Schefter article on ESPN where he proposes 5 trades before the deadline (emphasis mine):

On Tuesday at 4 p.m. ET, we'll again experience the least exciting, most boring trade deadline in all of sports -- the NFL trade deadline. It is the one area in which baseball, basketball and hockey decidedly out-excite the NFL.

So, in an effort to spruce it up, we're proposing five trades that should, but won't, be made -- although we plead with the involved teams to reconsider.

when he gets to the 3rd suggestion, he writes:

3. Seattle trades offensive tackle Russell Okung to the Patriots for a fourth-round pick.

Having lost Nate Solder to a season-ending bicep injury, the Patriots could land a free-agent-to-be who Seattle cannot afford to bring back next season. Nobody deals as often as New England, who already has traded for wide receiver Keshawn Martin and linebacker Jon Bostic. One more trade for an offensive tackle would help.

Umm, why the heck would Seattle get rid of their best offensive lineman and trade him to the team that beat them in the SuperBowl? Seems idiotic and that he has no idea what he's talking about. All signs point to Seattle looking to add help to the O-line.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
marko358":946aq9eg said:
Just read this Schefter article on ESPN where he proposes 5 trades before the deadline (emphasis mine):

On Tuesday at 4 p.m. ET, we'll again experience the least exciting, most boring trade deadline in all of sports -- the NFL trade deadline. It is the one area in which baseball, basketball and hockey decidedly out-excite the NFL.

So, in an effort to spruce it up, we're proposing five trades that should, but won't, be made -- although we plead with the involved teams to reconsider.

when he gets to the 3rd suggestion, he writes:

3. Seattle trades offensive tackle Russell Okung to the Patriots for a fourth-round pick.

Having lost Nate Solder to a season-ending bicep injury, the Patriots could land a free-agent-to-be who Seattle cannot afford to bring back next season. Nobody deals as often as New England, who already has traded for wide receiver Keshawn Martin and linebacker Jon Bostic. One more trade for an offensive tackle would help.

Umm, why the heck would Seattle get rid of their best offensive lineman and trade him to the team that beat them in the SuperBowl? Seems idiotic and that he has no idea what he's talking about. All signs point to Seattle looking to add help to the O-line.

Well, the o'line did look better yesterday without him...

OP
OP
marko358

marko358

Reaction score
JSeahawks":flm2r1lu said:
Well, the o'line did look better yesterday without him...

I'd credit most of that to a quicker offensive game plan and Dallas' inexplicable decision to avoid blitzing.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I don't think he thought that one through very well.

Trade our LT, most talented lineman, away for a mid-round pick next year...when we need more O-line help as it is?

OP
OP
marko358

marko358

Reaction score
HawkFan72":z2u7e17e said:

Trade our LT, most talented lineman, away for a mid-round pick next year...when we need more O-line help as it is?

Yeah but he'd really like to see the Pats go 19-0. Everyone should help in that cause.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
marko358":uhw9f3j1 said:
HawkFan72":uhw9f3j1 said:

Yeah but he'd really like to see the Pats go 19-0. Everyone should help in that cause.
Yep, another national clown writer.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Let's assume for a minute that trading Okung is something the Seahawks would consider. I don't think it is, but let's just go with it. Isn't a 4th way too low? Schefter mentions they won't be able to resign him, so sure that's a good reason to trade him. Try to get something for him, I get it. But if he goes, the Hawks would get a compensatory pick, right? I'm guessing as a left tackle he's going to net at least a 3rd rounder, right? Do they go higher than 3rd round?

So assuming Schefter is onto something at all, he should probably be a little more realistic on his compensation. I would think it would take at least a 2nd round pick (not even sure the Hawks would even want a 1st, the way they trade them away!).

HawkFan72

Reaction score
HawkGA":6yonpwxh said:
Let's assume for a minute that trading Okung is something the Seahawks would consider. I don't think it is, but let's just go with it. Isn't a 4th way too low? Schefter mentions they won't be able to resign him, so sure that's a good reason to trade him. Try to get something for him, I get it. But if he goes, the Hawks would get a compensatory pick, right? I'm guessing as a left tackle he's going to net at least a 3rd rounder, right? Do they go higher than 3rd round?

So assuming Schefter is onto something at all, he should probably be a little more realistic on his compensation. I would think it would take at least a 2nd round pick (not even sure the Hawks would even want a 1st, the way they trade them away!).

The comp pick is a good point. I think the Seahawks would rather take the chance of getting a mid-round comp pick next year and having Okung for the rest of the season than just letting him go for a mid-round pick next year.

It's pretty much a no-brainer.

And Schefter is showing that his proposal was a no-brainer in a different way.

Pie Romania

Reaction score
HawkGA":cby32m8b said:

3rd is the highest. If Okung were to get money similar to Veldheer (which he doesn't deserve IMO, but will likely get), he would probably net a 4th round pick if I had to guess.

So trading him for a 4th from the Pats would make no sense. We'd be without Okung the rest of this year and only gain about 3-5 spots in the draft if I had to guess. As much as I dislike Okung, those 5 spots aren't worth the loss. It would take at least a 2nd IMO for Seattle to consider dealing him, and even then I don't think it happens unless it's from a team with a poor record currently.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Apparently Schefter thinks we have no chance to contend, because those are all deals that involve teams out of the playoffs selling off key players to contenders. Well except the RG3 one

nanomoz

Reaction score
Schefter clearly thinks Seahawks stand no chance this year.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
1) The line looked better yesterday without him.
2) His contract is up after this year and we are not paying him.
3) Its not that crazy.

razor150

Reaction score
nanomoz":n7p7fiz5 said:
Schefter clearly thinks Seahawks stand no chance this year.

Unless the Offense gets better we don't. They struggle to move the ball with even bad defenses.

Basis4day

Reaction score
This is starting to sound like the time fans thought we could trade Matt Flynn to the jets straight up for Darrell Revis.