Seahawks find success splitting TE Jimmy Graham out wide

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Such a novel concept to put a 6'7" guy out wide.. only took Bevell 8 games to figure it out.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I love that they just fed him the ball in the Dallas game. Nothing fancy, just get your best receiver the football for chunks of yards.

mrt144

Reaction score
And with a pick no less. It was one of those moments where you could feel the Seahawks offense lurching into the 2010s NFL status quo.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Well at least they figured it out, at least for that game anyway.

Like most things Bevelll is slow on the uptake and inconsistent in application except when obvious.

If the OLine could do a better job runblocking at the second level the O would open up significantly as the opposing D would need to respect the run even more and the zone seams would be a richer area to target. it was good as well to see the successes the team had throwing to the TE down the mid-zone 3-4 passes to Graham and 2 to Willson. those quicker hitting plays allowed the OL to not give up a sack after 31 others. Russell did get hit after the pass quite hard a few times however.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Jimmy is our leading receiver

Half way through the season
38catches, 54 targets, 450yards 2TD, 21 first downs

His TDs are a little low but on pace for 76 catches and 900 yards

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Unfortunately splitting him out wide is a serious non-football issue. If we do it on more than 50% of his snaps we(someone) will have to start paying him WR money aka 7 mil or so more. We obviously couldn't do that so any chance of keeping graham more than 2 years relies on him being a TE.

Basis4day

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":3agn690e said:
Unfortunately splitting him out wide is a serious non-football issue. If we do it on more than 50% of his snaps we(someone) will have to start paying him WR money aka 7 mil or so more. We obviously couldn't do that so any chance of keeping graham more than 2 years relies on him being a TE.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11167 ... -tight-end

Just for context regarding that specific issue.

Interestingly, the arbitrator took who was assigned to cover Graham into consideration.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'm liking this on those quick slants when we need 7-9 yards.

I still don't blame Bevell for lining up Graham as a traditional TE. I think Graham could be devastating there, especially in the red zone, where we've had the most problems. If Graham was split out 70% of the time, the goes inline to "block" and actually go out for a pass, no one is going to believe it.

The most obvious play that illustrates this was the last year John Carlson was here. Remember that play that Carlson acted like he was going to block, then "fell down" and got back up, in the end zone, all alone ? Hass hit him for an easy TD. Why can't we see more of that fun stuff ?

I remember as a LBer, it was tough to defend good TE's. They were taller than you to start. If you thought they were going out for a pass, and took a drop step, that guy kept coming to the 2nd level and flat backed you. Your momentum is already going backwards. Conversely, if the TE blocks down and you fill on it, then the TE flares up and runs by you for a route, well now you're playing catch up, from behind on a guy taller than you. You really have to be on it to play a guy like Graham, if he's playing well and lined up inline.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Hawks46":2di5dxt4 said:

I still don't blame Bevell for lining up Graham as a traditional TE. I think Graham could be devastating there, especially in the red zone, where we've had the most problems. If Graham was split out 70% of the time, the goes inline to "block" and actually go out for a pass, no one is going to believe it.

The most obvious play that illustrates this was the last year John Carlson was here. Remember that play that Carlson acted like he was going to block, then "fell down" and got back up, in the end zone, all alone ? Hass hit him for an easy TD. Why can't we see more of that fun stuff ?

I remember as a LBer, it was tough to defend good TE's. They were taller than you to start. If you thought they were going out for a pass, and took a drop step, that guy kept coming to the 2nd level and flat backed you. Your momentum is already going backwards. Conversely, if the TE blocks down and you fill on it, then the TE flares up and runs by you for a route, well now you're playing catch up, from behind on a guy taller than you. You really have to be on it to play a guy like Graham, if he's playing well and lined up inline.

I do remember that play as it was the Beast Quake game (And Carlson's second td all year). I get what you're saying, but the last thing i think anyone wants is for the playcalls to have more trickery.

lukerguy

Reaction score
The biggest key to this is that when he lines up outside...it's not guarantee that we're going to pass versus run.

I heard a report that teams knew we were running/passing depending on Jimmy being in the game in certain formation and situations.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
ivotuk":2rt8z49y said:
"And on a key third down on the game-winning drive, the Seahawks lined Graham up out wide once again. This time, wide receiver Tyler Lockett was in the slot, and the rookie set a pick on Graham's defender, giving him space on a slant that picked up 8 yards and a first down."

http://espn.go.com/blog/seattle-seahawk ... m-out-wide

Been preaching to the choir about this since day 1.

The only better thing would be to throw in Mathews on the other side.. This is a nightmare scenario for any defense.

Except to put in Willson in as a TE, thereby making the D honest by having to honer the run.

Lockett and Willson roaming the middle while Graham and Mathews are on the outside...

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":hjll9opv said:
Such a novel concept to put a 6'7" guy out wide.. only took Bevell 8 games to figure it out.
Exactly what I was thinking. It's almost as if he realized that Graham had a history of success being split out wide, or something.

Nahhhhhhhh, that couldn't be it.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":chrs6fwo said:
Hasselbeck":chrs6fwo said:
Exactly what I was thinking. It's almost as if he realized that Graham had a history of success being split out wide, or something.

Nahhhhhhhh, that couldn't be it.

He couldn't figure it out with Harvin either, even though he utilized him effectively in MN.

Anthony!

Reaction score
lukerguy":1muamisx said:
The biggest key to this is that when he lines up outside...it's not guarantee that we're going to pass versus run.

I heard a report that teams knew we were running/passing depending on Jimmy being in the game in certain formation and situations.

Actually R Lockette said teams knew if he and Mathews were in we were running 90% of the time. Either way it is an issue and only backs up what all experts and most of us say about how predictable we are.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I think the blocking was so horrendous that Bev had no choice than to keep Jimmy inside to provide at least a chip block. Now that the line is picking it up, Jimmy is split wide on occasion. As was said elsewhere, I'd expect a mixture of both so as not to look too predictable.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Anthony!":1u94p38p said:
lukerguy":1u94p38p said:

Actually R Lockette said teams knew if he and Mathews were in we were running 90% of the time. Either way it is an issue and only backs up what all experts and most of us say about how predictable we are.

LOL classic.

Sooooo.. Bevell was trying to be clever on that last play of the SB?

I know, we'll actually throw a pass to Lockette, they will never suspect.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Those crossing routes to Graham were money in that game. Been hoping to see more of that all year. Not many players can cover this guy. He is so big, rarely drops the pass and gets that good inside position on the defender.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Basis4day":ddky4t5w said:
Hawks46":ddky4t5w said:

I do remember that play as it was the Beast Quake game (And Carlson's second td all year). I get what you're saying, but the last thing i think anyone wants is for the playcalls to have more trickery.
Why can't we?? Easy, cause our offensive line cannot sustain their blocks long enough for a player to "fall" and get back up and catch a pass. That might require like 4 seconds. Solid blocking is at least 3. We're more like 2.