3 seed versus 6th seed

HawkGA

Reaction score
How important is getting the 3 seed versus, say, the 6th seed (or the 5th for that matter)? Either way it means 3 games to get to the Super Bowl with the last 2 being on the road.

I get the first game could be at home or on the road, but honestly, I see the Hawks winning the first game regardless of where it is (with the caveat of course that the Hawks will have to be playing well to get into the playoffs anyway).

iigakusei

Reaction score
Of course you always want to start at home - so I think winning the NFC West is very important. But lets be honest - we haven't looked like a Superbowl contender so far, so I will be ecstatic with just getting in. If we play the way we are capable I don't think any team will be looking forward to playing us either at home or the road.

andyh64000

Reaction score
It matters because as the 3 seed you have a reasonable chance of not having to play two playoff games on the road. You are guaranteed that the 2nd game will be on the road could easily play the NFC championship game at home.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Minnesota or the NFC East winner is not beating either the Panthers or the Packers. Just sayin', the last two games will be on the road for the Hawks.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Just getting to the playoffs is going to beat the odds.

The #s said we would not reach the playoffs before the season started. And thus far, the #s to this point show that if we proceed at the same rate, we won't.

But the schedule gets easier, so maybe they can improve.

Just not sure how you can get much easier than Lions or Bears and they hardly looked like worldbeaters against those teams.

andyh64000

Reaction score
HawkGA":2jqd3zxa said:
Minnesota or the NFC East winner is not beating either the Panthers or the Packers. Just sayin', the last two games will be on the road for the Hawks.

Dallas with Romo and Dez back and healthy could certainly beat either the Panthers or the Packers...they were an odd definition of a catch from doing it last year.

lukerguy

Reaction score
iigakusei":29netb7i said:
Of course you always want to start at home - so I think winning the NFC West is very important. But lets be honest - we haven't looked like a Superbowl contender so far, so I will be ecstatic with just getting in. If we play the way we are capable I don't think any team will be looking forward to playing us either at home or the road.

We didn't really look like a SB contender this time last year either.. Home field is very important and something they can't afford to concede- win out and they'll get it.

Here's the Panthers remaining games:

Vs. Packers L
@Titans W
Vs Redskins W
@cowboys L
@Saints L
Vs Falcons W
@ NYG L
@Falcons L
vs. Buccs W

That's 5 Ls right there- obviously they hold the tie breaker, which would mean we'd need to win out...don't forget, we won 9-10 to end the year last year. We're about to get hot.. I do think that Carolina loss will come back to cost us a first round bye, but I predict we'll still be the #3 seed and then going on the road to play Carolina where we'll win...Then we can hope someone upset GB to give us the NFCC at home again:)

andyh64000

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1a0pnvp9 said:
Just not sure how you can get much easier than Lions or Bears and they hardly looked like worldbeaters against those teams.

I guess my counter would be...they led at the end of the 3rd quarter in every game this year. In fact I *think* they have had the lead and the ball in the 4th quarter of every game this year.

lukerguy

Reaction score
andyh64000":1ms2425j said:
HawkGA":1ms2425j said:

Dallas with Romo and Dez back and healthy could certainly beat either the Panthers or the Packers...they were an odd definition of a catch from doing it last year.

I honestly believe Dallas is the best team in the NFC with Tony Romo back. They have a very good Dline & Oline. Something we don't have.

If you were to ask me who I'd think would win between Dallas and GB in lambeau, I'd go with Dallas. I think they're even better than last year and GB is worse.

ivotuk

Reaction score
This is a veteran playoff team. They can win on the road, and against most NFC teams, I would pick the Seahawks to win a road playoff game. This year's team could just as easily lose a home playoff game, as they could win a road playoff game.

Pete Carroll has taught this team to believe in itself, and they have proven over and over, that they are never out of a game. They have confidence, the offensive line is improving, Jimmy Graham is becoming integrated in to the game, and Marshawn Lynch has low miles halfway through the season (talk about fresh legs). That, and the defense is starting to come in to it's own.

I think these players would relish the challenge of going on the road, and beating teams in their house.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
lukerguy":3f449q3z said:
andyh64000":3f449q3z said:
HawkGA":3f449q3z said:

I honestly believe Dallas is the best team in the NFC with Tony Romo back. They have a very good Dline & Oline. Something we don't have.

If you were to ask me who I'd think would win between Dallas and GB in lambeau, I'd go with Dallas. I think they're even better than last year and GB is worse.

I think you might be over selling Dallas there, but I did kind of forget that they are still in the running for that craptastic division.

Sign37now

Reaction score
Just get in... Weren't the Stealers the 6th seed the year they supposedly beat us in the SB?

timmat

Reaction score
Not that far-fetched to see AZ with the 3 seed and the Hawks with the 6th seed. I think that means we'd play at AZ in first round, having just ended the regular season there the week before. Way too early to seriously project this stuff, but an interesting possibility nonetheless.

Seafan

Reaction score
ivotuk":1rghap63 said:
This is a veteran playoff team. They can win on the road, and against most NFC teams, I would pick the Seahawks to win a road playoff game. This year's team could just as easily lose a home playoff game, as they could win a road playoff game.

Pete Carroll has taught this team to believe in itself, and they have proven over and over, that they are never out of a game. They have confidence, the offensive line is improving, Jimmy Graham is becoming integrated in to the game, and Marshawn Lynch has low miles halfway through the season (talk about fresh legs). That, and the defense is starting to come in to it's own.

I think these players would relish the challenge of going on the road, and beating teams in their house.

I agree with this but RW needs to take a big step up. The team only scored 3 points in the 2nd half against Dallas and that was largely due to RW.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
andyh64000":3s9thij1 said:
HawkGA":3s9thij1 said:

Jerruh's kids will not be making the playoffs this year. Sorry.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
lukerguy":1kmnn4ej said:
andyh64000":1kmnn4ej said:
HawkGA":1kmnn4ej said:

I disagree 110%, LOL.
But that's what makes forums like this great, differences of opinion. 8)

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
HawkGA":2c4vs70i said:

Cool.. guess we don't have to watch the playoffs anymore

Giblien

Reaction score
The playoffs come down to the two games against the cards. If we can beat them both times, I think we could be at the big game again... If not, I think we may make the playoffs as a wild card, but be out in the first round (unless something MAJOR changes on the online and the offensive play calls between now and then).

QuahHawk

Reaction score
lukerguy":3air4lat said:
That's 5 Ls right there- obviously they hold the tie breaker, which would mean we'd need to win out...don't forget, we won 9-10 to end the year last year. We're about to get hot.. I do think that Carolina loss will come back to cost us a first round bye, but I predict we'll still be the #3 seed and then going on the road to play Carolina where we'll win...Then we can hope someone upset GB to give us the NFCC at home again:)

I agree