All 22 @DAL (quick passing game)

Laloosh

Reaction score
As Pete pointed out this week. They did a few things against Dallas to make a bit of a shift in the offensive approach. Obviously, one of those things was the number of short drops and quick passes, as well as the number of passes that we saw to the middle of the field.

I am just going to highlight a few of those plays and we'll see if it leads to any discussion.

Q1 13:49 - 2nd and 6: 2 TE, single back. This probably looks like an option to the right (defense's left).
fmPM8bU.gif

As I highlight in the gif, the MLB is keying on Lynch and his first step or two open things up for Graham. The bummer on this one is that Luke Willson appears to be wide open behind his defender. Can't have our cake and eat it too. 20 yard pickup for Graham that may well have been a TD for Luke.

Q1 00:43 - 1st and 10: I formation, 2 WR.
W4ZVWLs

I think this is a positive sign. Doug's defender is playing off a little bit but is watching Russell the entire time and would have had a decent chance to jump the route if Russ went there first. Lockette's defender is playing on the line. Lockette gets an easy outside release and Russ tries to get the ball to Lockette's back shoulder at the sticks. Bad throw or the route didn't go exactly as it should. Maybe someone else can speak to this but I like that we're doing it. The DB didn't have a chance at the ball if it is on the mark.

Q2 15:00 - 3rd and 6: 3WR, 1TE (Graham)
SJZQKB1

Similar idea as the play before. When you watch the all 22 at regular speed, it looks like the defender on Tyler Lockett gets a hand on his arm from behind and prevents him from making his cut back to the ball. Lockett complains but either there was no PI/hold or the refs just didn't see it. In any case, this time the throw is accurate and would have been a 1st down were it not for the contact between receiver and corner.

Q2 07:36 - 2nd and 9: 2WR, 2TE. Lynch goes in motion wide.
5k9kD1R

The alignment here (before Lynch goes into motion) is a lot more like I was expecting to see after hearing about the Graham trade and I can't help but wonder if the poor run blocking that we get out of our TEs is the reason we haven't seen this succeeding all season (see what run blocking TEs would add here). I think this is what Graham's presence can do for other receivers on this team. Both LBs lock in on Graham, leaving Willson open up the seam.

** would love to see one of you smart people break down how this may have gone if Russ didn't motion Lynch wide. I thought it looked like this could have been another Luke Willson running free behind the defense, moment.

Q2 06:17 - 2nd and 10: single back, 3 WR, 1 TE (Graham)
ZMkMJRV

KA68bBQ

I really like this play design. If the defense doesn't sniff out the screen, it might be a nice gain. If they do, you've got Baldwin 1:1 on a short crossing route against a defender that has already lost. Bailey loses badly and Russ hits Baldwin on the short crosser (yeah, the short crosser over the middle of the field behind the big tall guys that block and rush).

Q2 05:33 - 1st and 10: 2 TE, 2 WR, single back. Willson lined up out wide. Motions inside.
L9ZB9rb

The safety (Church #42) and DE (Hardy #76) appear to read run and Church gets burned.

Alexander

Reaction score
Laloosh":t919rcom said:
When you watch the all 22 at regular speed, it looks like the defender on Tyler Lockett gets a hand on his arm from behind and prevents him from making his cut back to the ball. Lockett complains but either there was no PI/hold or the refs just didn't see it. In any case, this time the throw is accurate and would have been a 1st down were it not for the contact between receiver and corner.

Tough to see in the GIF, but if it is indeed PI, that certainly lends credence to some of the complaints in the thread about the total lack of opponent defensive holding/PI penalties.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Watching Ed Hochuli's crew call dudes for breathing on a WR, quite contrast to the grabfest we saw the week before.

8 games. It took half a season to get a huge shift in offensive philosophy. no sacks has a lot less to do with the opponent than the short pass game that we discovered last week.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Scottemojo":20azhtlb said:
Watching Ed Hochuli's crew call dudes for breathing on a WR, quite contrast to the grabfest we saw the week before.

8 games. It took half a season to get a huge shift in offensive philosophy. no sacks has a lot less to do with the opponent than the short pass game that we discovered last week.

I'd agree. The disparity in defensive holding/PI penalties is starting to make the NFL unwatchable.

Gotta love Lynch. In that Gif where he splits out wide, he's WIDE open. You can't fault Wilson for going where he did (and it was a great pass), but I wonder how much Lynch would've gained. The CB to that side never seemed to respect Lynch being out there. Once Wilson goes to Willson, Lynch flops down on his back. Lol.

I also don't think that was as wide open if Lynch stays in the backfield. That CB cheats over a bit to split the RB/TE routes, and ends up losing Lynch. He's obviously paying a zone and would pinch down on that TE route if there was no one to his side.

I'm liking how this is shaping up. Notice Graham got a couple of good receptions while lined up in line. This is due to us being effective in the run game. Now teams have to respect the run and Lynch more, and their first read isn't dropping with Graham. Before, when our OL sucked at run blocking, LBers just dropped with Graham immediately. Lbers can cover Graham if they know where he's going and get a head start to get there.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Scottemojo":b2f7dukr said:
.........8 games. It took half a season to get a huge shift in offensive philosophy. no sacks has a lot less to do with the opponent than the short pass game that we discovered last week.
But, but...........2 Super Bowls in a row!!

It's been longer than that IMO. It's been since the Rams game in '13. Fortunately for the Hawks, most teams don't have D-Lines like Dallas and St. Loo.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Thanks Laloosh. Get the run game going and our offense clicks. Plus Russ should be a little more versatile. I like where things are going