Whip Routes and the quick passing game

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Watching MNF tonight and seeing San Diego's all purpose man, Danny Woodhead execute whip routes to give Phillip Rivers a quick developing target to pass to and I had the following thought...

Does Seattle have a guy with elite quickness? I heard a comment made during the Dallas game on Sunday night complimenting Cole Beasley for being a quick target for the Cowboys.

I think in this instance we're talking about guys with quickness (change of direction, minimal time to full speed) rather than straight line speed. Does Doug or Tyler have this aspect as part of their game? I know Edelman killed us in the SB with routes that start as a slant route, then flatten to the sideline for an easy 5 yard completion.

It seems like this is a staple of most offenses with protection issues (it's not like NE has an all star cast off offensive lineman). Perhaps this could help Seattle's passing game?

Perhaps I'm missing that the Seahawks already incorporate this into their game?

Thanks guys.

OP
OP
tmobilchawker79

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
No response? Man I thought this was a good topic. It relates directly to the poor offensive line play, quick routes needed to take pressure off of it, moves safeties up eventually...

Mods, can we move this to the Seahawks forum?

Laloosh

Reaction score
It's been discussed but people are too busy preparing the bonfires for a sacrifice this week. I did a bunch of gifs from the Dallas game illustrating how we incorporated a quick passing game and I think it generated 2 replies. Moved the thread for ya, maybe it will help.

And to respond to the question about who we have with quickness and can run a whip route for example... Baldwin has done it. Think we saw one over the middle against Dallas or Carolina but he didn't get the ball. Went to a deeper route if I remember correctly.

seahawks08

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":gj2ug227 said:
Watching MNF tonight and seeing San Diego's all purpose man, Danny Woodhead execute whip routes to give Phillip Rivers a quick developing target to pass to and I had the following thought...

Does Seattle have a guy with elite quickness? I heard a comment made during the Dallas game on Sunday night complimenting Cole Beasley for being a quick target for the Cowboys.

I think in this instance we're talking about guys with quickness (change of direction, minimal time to full speed) rather than straight line speed. Does Doug or Tyler have this aspect as part of their game? I know Edelman killed us in the SB with routes that start as a slant route, then flatten to the sideline for an easy 5 yard completion.

It seems like this is a staple of most offenses with protection issues (it's not like NE has an all star cast off offensive lineman). Perhaps this could help Seattle's passing game?

Perhaps I'm missing that the Seahawks already incorporate this into their game?

Thanks guys.

PRich could be one there, but I still think anything in the middle other than seam routes to TE will be a problem for Russell this year. We have defenses game planning to block his view in the middle and make him throw on the sides for quick developing throws. They did do some adjustments against the Dallas, but they were non existent in the Arizona game due to penalties and pushing us back. These throws are generally ideal for short yardage, when the defense is guessing between a run and a pass. The long yardage situation is always a passing situation that defenses can cover our receivers.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Baldwin and Lockett have the quicks for it, in spades. But whether the OC or the QB, we have none of the rhythm for it.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Scottemojo":16mwfdo6 said:
Baldwin and Lockett have the quicks for it, in spades. But whether the OC or the QB, we have none of the rhythm for it.

This. Both Baldwin and Lockett would be insane in NE's offense.

Lockett is invisible in ours, unless he manages to get 10 yards behind the secondary, and our OL can hold up the 10 seconds needed to make that throw.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
Hawks46":2d6oh4d7 said:
Scottemojo":2d6oh4d7 said:

This. Both Baldwin and Lockett would be insane in NE's offense.

Lockett is invisible in ours, unless he manages to get 10 yards behind the secondary, and our OL can hold up the 10 seconds needed to make that throw.

You highlighted the problem without directly addressing it. All I see are routes that don't develop 15 - 20 yds down field. That's play design and play calling. When your OL barely gives you time to execute a 3 step drop, the idea of throwing a long pass is ridiculous to me. The only short passes are poorly blocked screens or outside curls that defense are prepared for. After the SB, we forgot about the quick slant and made us predictable. Bevell should've been fired and should be fired immediately. If that means Pete has to go, so be it.