Meet Russell Flacco

WilliamCooper

Reaction score
The Ravens signed Flacco to a giant contract after winning a Super Bowl. We are in the same spot. We gave up a large portion of our salary cap to lock up a 5"10 game manager. Unless we have an 85 Bears type of D, we are destined for 8-8 for the foreseeable future.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
In all seriousness when you pay a guy that type of money you saying he can carry the team to victory not so much with scramble first RW . I think we got the best out of him and payed him 1 year to early IMHO . He would have been dirt cheep this year

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
hawkfannj":1n6ecjyx said:
In all seriousness when you pay a guy that type of money you saying he can carry the team to victory not so much with scramble first RW . I think we got the best out of him and payed him 1 year to early IMHO . He would have been dirt cheep this year
"paid"
"too"

bmorepunk

Reaction score
WilliamCooper":1dtrllgg said:
The Ravens signed Flaco to a giant contract after winning a Super Bowl. We are in the same spot. We gave up a large portion of our salary cap to lock up a 5"10 game manager. Unless we have an 85 Bears type of D, we are destined for 8-8 for the foreseeable future.

It's a substantially different contract. Flacco's cap hit is $14.55 million this year (same or cheaper two previous years), $28.55 million next year, and $31.15 million and $24.75 million the two years after that. Russell Wilson does not have an explode-the-cap contract, just a generally expensive one. Both teams had to pay both guys, since the probability of finding a decent replacement is really low.

And Wilson got paid after he lost the Super Bowl.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
hawkfannj":1z76yvel said:

No, he was paid that amount because the economics of NFL quarterbacks requires it. They can pay him market value, or they take their chances, likely wallowing without a good quarterback for many years like a bunch of other franchises. They could have waited, and it might have paid off, but someone would likely still have paid Wilson as much as the Seahawks are.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
bmorepunk":16yu2ril said:
hawkfannj":16yu2ril said:

No, he was paid that amount because the economics of NFL quarterbacks requires it. They can pay him market value, or they take their chances, likely wallowing without a good quarterback for many years like a bunch of other franchises. They could have waited, and it might have paid off, but someone would likely still have paid Wilson as much as the Seahawks are.
Geez I wish the RW haters would get this.

northseahawk

Reaction score
At least he says "GO HAWKS" at the end of his interviews.
That's enough for many people here.

razor150

Reaction score
There really wasn't a viable option but to pay him. Despite all the flaws in his game somebody would have paid him, even after this year unless he goes completely in the tank, if we hadn't. Winning a SB automatically inflates a QB's all ready over inflated value.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I agree, we didn't overpay for #3.

We paid what the market demanded/allowed. Yes there may have other options but waiting could have cost us a lot more money in the next few years or even losing him to another team.

My biggest worry is that RW may have a touch of David Carr syndrome.
RW is one of the most hit QBs in the league right now, that has to effect a guys head.
The fact of the matter is, it can ruin one.

lobohawk

Reaction score
You do realize he's not even listed in top 10 for salary cap impact by QBs in 2015`. This also doesn't include any new contracts for QBs (see Luck). And many expect the Cap to rise by 2018, so that hit may not even be that bad. Wilson is not why they haven't paid for a better OL.

Wilson's Cap hit relative to other QBs
2015 19th
2016 12th
2017 11th
2018 5th

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
If only RW wouldn't get so many damn holding calls, maybe they could actually start a possession at 1-st and 10 instead of 1-st and 20/25. Not to mention his inability to "stand in the pocket" when there really isn't any pocket on the majority of plays. ---- If the biggest problem is the OL, why aren't Cable's pants on fire? He's supposed to be an OL guru, really?

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":pzg5tz94 said:
bmorepunk":pzg5tz94 said:
hawkfannj":pzg5tz94 said:

Geez I wish the RW haters would get this.

Seems like a lot of RW haters lately. I have never seen a fan base turn on there players so quickly. Don't get it. When Green Bay or New England don't have a great year, they fix it and I think the Hawks will do the same as well, might be lost this year but we will be fixed.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
pmedic920":3g418nex said:
.....My biggest worry is that RW may have a touch of David Carr syndrome.
RW is one of the most hit QBs in the league right now, that has to effect a guys head.
The fact of the matter is, it can ruin one.
I think the butt fumble last night is evidence that it's happening. I think he's hearing footsteps.