FA moves made this team and then destroyed it

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Two of the greatest FA signings or trades for players (not picks) in this team history were Michael Bennet and Cliff Avril. It was a stroke of luck that assuredly led us to those SBs. The most important was Lynch.

I suppose that kind of success with non-draft player acquisition led them to believe they were good at it, but this team makes terrible decisions in FA.

Almost every other FA decision by this team in the past 3 years have ranged from meh to disaster.

Most of you are familiar with my heated diatribes against Harvin. I had a palpable hatred for that guy from Day 1, because I saw him as a clear threat to keeping Tate - who I considered key to winning another SB.

Sure enough, Harvin contributed nothing but chewing up money on the salary cap. He did, however, lead several players to decide that they wanted big contracts too.

Missing Tate very likely led to the loss of the SB last year. One more offensive threat probably makes it harder to come back with all our defense guys injured. Because we could have been scoring to reopen the gap once they started to close it again.

Well we also signed Cary Williams to a big contract, who is like a tall Kelly Jennings. He will cover (sometimes) but he ends up trailing often and he never plays the ball in the air. Maybe you could argue that guy from the Browns is OK, but even that one is somewhat a wash. He isn't an improvement over who we lost, for sure.

The bigger question is, have any FA signings or trades for players worked out with any significant success? A few guys became backup FBs but for the most part our decisions in non-drafted player moves (not counting UDFAs) have been a mix of bad and blah.

That Harvin deal was as close to the death knell as anything the moment we lost Tate. Then the CJ signing only hurt us worse. I think this team needs to realize that signing big money players doesn't work for us because we tend to do more damage to the team with the failures than if we just keep our good players.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I think the distinction between FA and trades is an important one. JS had two early master strokes with the Chris Clemons and Marshawn Lynch trades. Genius moves. Everything since has basically looked like he didn't know when to walk away, overpaid, and hurt the team badly. Like the Harvin trade.

Free agency has been ok. They use it pretty sparingly. The Bennett and Avril deals were glorious. Most of the other stuff has been mediocre.

OP
OP
T

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Forgot about Clemons and he was huge for the SB.

But it feels like there was a flurry of really great deals in a short period, and then almost everything else was a net negative, if not a HUGE net negative past that.

Hopefully the draft success was not an outlier because that appears to be the only salvation this team might have. We seem to get one fantastic player for every 2-4 3rd, 4th or 5th round picks. And then our success rate for contributors in those rounds is still above league average.

But trades and flashy FA stuff? usually bad news later.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":39p6de7c said:
I think the distinction between FA and trades is an important one. JS had two early master strokes with the Chris Clemons and Marshawn Lynch trades. Genius moves. Everything since has basically looked like he didn't know when to walk away, overpaid, and hurt the team badly. Like the Harvin trade.

Free agency has been ok. They use it pretty sparingly. The Bennett and Avril deals were glorious. Most of the other stuff has been mediocre.

Agreed. And in addition to the Bennett/Avril signings, we had some halfway decent signings of Paul McQuistran and Breuno G. No one's going to confuse them with the Hogs, but they were decent finds that filled a void. And I think that the Rubin acquisition was a good move.

It's the trades that have hurt us the most, specifically the Harvin and Graham trades. Both of those were on the offensive side of the ball, where we seem to make the most personnel mistakes.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
Husly interesting points, but I am pretty sure winning the SB made every player that was meaningful want a new contract.

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
welcome to real life.....a team that drafted well and rewarded it's players now is reduced to being critical of losing Golden Tate at 7 to 8M a year?? He's not worth that money in Detroit and would be making double what Baldwin is making....he's not that type of player.

The misses with the draft of Norwood, Richardson (been injury plagued and not explosive) and not having success with Justin Britt, Cameron Marsh and players like Tyler Lockett hitting the rookie wall of fatigue or coming up with one solid OLineman is the issue. You can draft one additional quality player and you are not concerned about free agency.

This is still the best roster in the league outside of Cincinnati...I expect Seattle in Carolina for the NFC title game and to see Cincinnati in Santa Clara and the Super Bowl, despite Seattle's warts.

Sign37now

Reaction score
NewJerseyHawk":217twazf said:
welcome to real life.....a team that drafted well and rewarded it's players now is reduced to being critical of losing Golden Tate at 7 to 8M a year?? He's not worth that money in Detroit and would be making double what Baldwin is making....he's not that type of player.

The misses with the draft of Norwood, Richardson (been injury plagued and not explosive) and not having success with Justin Britt, Cameron Marsh and players like Tyler Lockett hitting the rookie wall of fatigue or coming up with one solid OLineman is the issue. You can draft one additional quality player and you are not concerned about free agency.

This is still the best roster in the league outside of Cincinnati...I expect Seattle in Carolina for the NFC title game and to see Cincinnati in Santa Clara and the Super Bowl, despite Seattle's warts.

Playoffs? Playoffs?......Playoffs!