Unger, Giacomini, and Tate

Crizilla

Reaction score
I don't think anybody thought that we would miss those guys this much

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I did.

I was pretty vocal about it.

That was why I was so anti-Harvin, because Harvin was the threat to Tate being kept.

And Tate personally screwed GB today by scrambling through their tackles to the 5 to set up the winning score.

We could have used him today.

Might as well put Carpenter in the mix though, never thought I would miss him but clearly we do.

Tical21

Reaction score
Did anybody see what Zach Miller did today? Thurmond playing well. Malcolm Smith playing well.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Those guys were important but all good teams lose people.

Thurmond is a great safety and corner, roll of the dice to sign but I thought that should have been the Hawks move - not CJ.

But Tate is the guy you could chuck it to and he could turn those 4 yd gains into 24. Nobody on this team does that. Tate also had a focus toward the end zone. Half our guys run out of bounds rather than dive for the goal.

And the Unger thing? Sheer stupidity.

Yes he got injured but so what? When he was healthy he blocked well and he was a key cog in getting holes for Lynch, you know, the most important player on the team.

Trading Unger just hamstrung our run game and since we had Bevell, it just assured that we would be chucking it up to Wilson instead of the all-everything TD we just mortgaged the farm for.

The sad thing is, we don't sign Harvin and we can afford those 3 - and we likely have the SB win last year and are in contention for one this year.

The FO screwed us with their trades in the past few years. Its like those years I had to watch the Mariners make idiot trades with the Yankees, almost assuredly getting crap from the deal while trading away important pieces.

That one string of really good trades was then followed by disaster after disaster any time that team thought it could make a deal. They overpay for middling talent and they let great players go they could have paid to keep.

Seafan

Reaction score
Those guys wouldn't have helped. Russ is in a funk. I've said this all season.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It isn't a funk.

It is a lack of preparation.

"Separation is in the preparation" remember?

peppersjap

Reaction score
How many weeks are we going to get the "Zack Miller" comment? The Zack Miller that played for us is sitting at home raising his children and not playing football. As far as Unger being missed, there are plenty of other people on the inactive list where he was most of last year. He was going to be overpaid and probably would have been a salary cap casualty. So tired of hearing about who we should have kept when people would have freaked if we didn't sign Wagner, Sherman, Thomas, etc.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
peppersjap":11q96afn said:
How many weeks are we going to get the "Zack Miller" comment? The Zack Miller that played for us is sitting at home raising his children and not playing football. As far as Unger being missed, there are plenty of other people on the inactive list where he was most of last year. He was going to be overpaid and probably would have been a salary cap casualty. So tired of hearing about who we should have kept when people would have freaked if we didn't sign Wagner, Sherman, Thomas, etc.

Sorry I think the Giacomini and Tate argument are legitimate. The Harvin debacle killed us renewing either one of those two. Tate was an exceptional playmaker on ST and as a receiver. Giacomini would be much welcomed on this line right now. Unger hasn't been hurt this year and if he was going to be a cap casualty it would have been next year. Not to mention our 1st round draft pick we lost this year.

Let's face it, no drafted linemen have helped us this year so far. We essentially let our Oline deteriorate. Since this FO plans for the future that happened last year and was a serious underestimation of the effect on our team.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I heard Zach Miller whipped up some amazing bean dip for a watching party last night so Tical isn't entirely wrong.

I think PC/JS would fully agree that the Harvin deal blew up in their face and if they could have a mulligan on any move it would be that one.

I think more should be said about the 2014 draft than anything else though. That draft was the best WR draft in history and we came out of it with Paul Richardson, Kevin Norwood and Justin Britt. Drafting a Bitonio and a Landry/Robinson type would have really eased the blow of losing Tate and the OL in FA.

That's where this model of a top heavy payroll begins to get away from you in a hurry if you whiff on your higher draft picks as this team has done the past couple of years.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":31giecz8 said:
Tical21":31giecz8 said:
Did anybody see what Zach Miller did today? Thurmond playing well. Malcolm Smith playing well.
Wrong Zach Miller.

There needs to be a sticky about how they are two different dudes.

razor150

Reaction score
Lockett is a good Tate replacement.

As far as the lost linemen. Can you say this offense is any worse against good teams than the one that played in n the playoffs? They were this bad against the Panthers, Packers, and Patriots. Now our defense just isn't even as good as the defense that blew it in the Super Bowl so now instead of winning close games we are losing them.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I was a big Giacommini fan, especially when he learned how to use his aggression to influence an opposing player to commit a personal foul after a play. Those free first downs were awesome.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
"Lockett is a good Tate replacement."

HAHAHAHAHA

No.

Lockett occasionally runs a few TDs back, occasionally catches a TD pass, and every now and then catches a few passes between.

Tate was a consistent threat, a 3rd down converter and ridiculously good at fighting for the ball. Those passes Lockett went up and missed? Tate would have had. To be fair, Tate was pretty mediocre his first few years, so maybe Lockett turns into that - but overall value of Tate now vs Lockett now? Not comparable.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The only player the team really to me misses is Tate. Unger was ready to be moved out. Giacomini was a big tough guy with a penchant for taking penalties. I doubt the team thought he was the answer at RT and were likely unwilling to pay him what the Jets did. I miss his physicality but not the stupid penalties.

Clayfighter

Reaction score
jammerhawk":9qi8o3hg said:
The only player the team really to me misses is Tate. Unger was ready to be moved out. Giacomini was a big tough guy with a penchant for taking penalties. I doubt the team thought he was the answer at RT and were likely unwilling to pay him what the Jets did. I miss his physicality but not the stupid penalties.

:13: Thank you. Tate was a stud later in his Hawk career. Breno was tough, but a penalty machine.

razor150

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":mp980bm3 said:

HAHAHAHAHA

No.

Lockett occasionally runs a few TDs back, occasionally catches a TD pass, and every now and then catches a few passes between.

Tate was a consistent threat, a 3rd down converter and ridiculously good at fighting for the ball. Those passes Lockett went up and missed? Tate would have had. To be fair, Tate was pretty mediocre his first few years, so maybe Lockett turns into that - but overall value of Tate now vs Lockett now? Not comparable.

I am not talking now more towards the future. He is a far better returner then Tate ever was. Tate now is shining largely because he is 2nd fiddle, and I don't mean that to take anything away from him. He is great in his role, and the scheme he is in helps reach his full potential. Here he is the #1, with a system not as suited for him, and he just wasn't as effective here as he is in Detroit.

Would it be nice to have him? Sure it would. Would he make a huge difference? I am not as sure about that.

kf3339

Reaction score
razor150":1b2qv5ds said:
TwistedHusky":1b2qv5ds said:

HAHAHAHAHA

No.

I am not talking now more towards the future. He is a far better returner then Tate ever was. Tate now is shining largely because he is 2nd fiddle, and I don't mean that to take anything away from him. He is great in his role, and the scheme he is in helps reach his full potential. Here he is the #1, with a system not as suited for him, and he just wasn't as effective here as he is in Detroit.

Would it be nice to have him? Sure it would. Would he make a huge difference? I am not as sure about that.

When Megatron was injured Tate was their #1 and put on over 1000 yards receiving last year. So he would be far better than anything we have at RW right now. Not sure where you think he can only be a second fiddle.