"Russ is mailing it in."

Rob12

Reaction score
- TwistedHusky

TwistedHusky":23mukmkn said:
Wilson got his big contract and is mailing it in.

I wonder if he has tickets to Mexico booked for after the game?

He's not mailing it in. I think he's working harder than he ever has. I think he's simply trying to do too much. The difference is that the coaches have tried giving him the keys to the offense and with our current offensive personnel, he can't handle it. Beast has missed three games this season, is aging, and has been banged up every week. The offensive line is the worst pass blocking unit in the league. It's really not hard to see why this offense is sputtering. The line, Russ' bad habit of holding the ball too long, a running game that's regressed, little draft capital used in the passing game, and perhaps most of all a completely inept play caller. There's your reasons for an offense that can't get it done and a QB that is trying like hell to live up to the massive contract that he just signed.

But for those saying Russ is mailing it in or spending too much time with Ciara or whatever else reason you psychologists come up with, just stop. This is a multi pronged issue that likely isn't going to be solved anytime soon. We all knew what life without Beast would look like and I think we're in the midst of getting a painful sneak peak.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I agree, I think he's trying too hard. I also think he has gotten a little bit of David Carr syndrome. I still love the man and have no doubt he'll turn it around and play better.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Disagree.

I think we have all been watching football long enough to see QBs who get swept up in parties, doing commercials and all rest fall on their face. He wouldn't be the first or the last.

But guys that are committed to winning and know the importance of an upcoming game, A GAME THAT CAN KNOCK THE SEAHAWKS OUT OF SERIOUS PLAYOFF CONTENTION, don't flit off to Mexico to work on their tan. Legally according to their contract they CAN but they don't.

There were already whispers in the locker room about the guy. Remember Baldwin called him 'fake'? I don't think shooting off to the beach with Ciara is going to engender unending loyalty from his teammates.

And if he IS struggling with the responsibilities thrust on him? How is taking a week off going to improve that?

It should also be noted the Cris Collingsworth, a former player, called out Wilson for a lot of those sacks being on him. Yes the line is bad, no it isn't all on them.

I do agree that Bevell is holding him back. But I just as fervently believe that Wilson is 9-5ing it now that he has a big contract. He isn't a guy with the physical tools to do minimum, he needs that extra prep time ...and he isn't getting it from Mexico.

It should also be pointed out that I bet some of the players see that too. Hard to call people out for not preparing when you were hanging out at the hotel pool. So he may have lost credibility and some loyalty with them. Is that worth the risk when he could do all this crap in the off season?

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
Damn that last play of the SB last year killed this team. The Pats effectively killed the soul of this team. The most painful thing about this is that it proves, at least to me, that this team has regressed the most in the area of being mentally tough. They have won four out of 10 games (all against absolutely terrible quarterbacks) since that day - despite, without a doubt in my mind, possessing the most talented roster in the league.

And the worst part is that this isn't going to be easy to fix.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1jdakevx said:
Disagree.

I think we have all been watching football long enough to see QBs who get swept up in parties, doing commercials and all rest fall on their face. He wouldn't be the first or the last.

But guys that are committed to winning and know the importance of an upcoming game, A GAME THAT CAN KNOCK THE SEAHAWKS OUT OF SERIOUS PLAYOFF CONTENTION, don't flit off to Mexico to work on their tan. Legally according to their contract they CAN but they don't.

There were already whispers in the locker room about the guy. Remember Baldwin called him 'fake'? I don't think shooting off to the beach with Ciara is going to engender unending loyalty from his teammates.

And if he IS struggling with the responsibilities thrust on him? How is taking a week off going to improve that?

It should also be noted the Cris Collingsworth, a former player, called out Wilson for a lot of those sacks being on him. Yes the line is bad, no it isn't all on them.

I do agree that Bevell is holding him back. But I just as fervently believe that Wilson is 9-5ing it now that he has a big contract. He isn't a guy with the physical tools to do minimum, he needs that extra prep time ...and he isn't getting it from Mexico.

It should also be pointed out that I bet some of the players see that too. Hard to call people out for not preparing when you were hanging out at the hotel pool. So he may have lost credibility and some loyalty with them. Is that worth the risk when he could do all this crap in the off season?

Honestly had no idea he went to Mexico. Admittedly, that doesn't seem like something the 2012-14 RW would do.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2w51309f said:
I agree, I think he's trying too hard. I also think he has gotten a little bit of David Carr syndrome. I still love the man and have no doubt he'll turn it around and play better.
I do agree there is some of the hearing footsteps as the butt fumble for a safety showed. But I also think Twisted is partially correct too.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I've heard the keys being handed over quit a bit but do not agree with it. Until he starts making the play calls, audibles etc. and is only advised by the OC, I don't believe he has any keys. IMO if Bevell wanted to do this PC would allow it too. DBs ego is to big.

What has changed this year from his previous years in regards to his responsibility?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":12fq71fz said:
I've heard the keys being handed over quit a bit but do not agree with it. Until he starts making the play calls, audibles etc. and is only advised by the OC, I don't believe he has any keys. IMO if Bevell wanted to do this PC would allow it too. DBs ego is to big.

What has changed this year from his previous years in regards to his responsibility?

A lot.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
Beast wasn't a factor tonight. He wasn't used like he should have been. I believe at the beginning of the fourth, he had 7 carries. This was a key, must win, home divisional playoff game against the team you're chasing.

And Lynch seemed like an afterthought. From the opening "drive" on, he felt like a complete afterthought.

This is why people are pissed off. To be fair, penalties pushed the offense back, but this feels like a team making a concerted effort to move away from Lynch. All I know is I wish the game plan for the San Francisco game was implemented. But as usual, our OC gets cute and the offense responded with six minutes of TOP and 30 or so yards of offense in the first half.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
^ that's why I think the coaches are giving RW the keys. But the motor is broken and won't run.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":2pq9qrzr said:

Actually, Bevell said in a presser 4 weeks ago that they are encouraging Russell to take more command of the offense and make the check to an audible if he sees a tell in the defense. It's the direction all franchise quarterbacks should go as they mature.

peppersjap

Reaction score
Rob12":2f1mw1nc said:
Beast wasn't a factor tonight. He wasn't used like he should have been. I believe at the beginning of the fourth, he had 7 carries. This was a key, must win, home divisional playoff game against the team you're chasing.

And Lynch seemed like an afterthought. From the opening "drive" on, he felt like a complete afterthought.

This is why people are pissed off. To be fair, penalties pushed the offense back, but this feels like a team making a concerted effort to move away from Lynch. All I know is I wish the game plan for the San Francisco game was implemented. But as usual, our OC gets cute and the offense responded with six minutes of TOP and 30 or so yards of offense in the first half.
They had the ball for 21 minutes and because of penalties at least the 1st 3 drives they were facing 1st and 20's which effectively took Lynch out of the game. It was even worse in the 2nd half because of the 2 Defensive TD's (or close to) which while awesome kept the offense off the field and defense on it. I really don't see how under the circumstances they could have utilized Lynch more than they did and it is a shame because he was producing. I know he was pissed after a 15 yard gain was brought back by penalty, he looked like he was going to throw his helmet.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3nzmz384 said:
seahawkfreak":3nzmz384 said:

A lot.

Please expand

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1c9k44qf said:
seahawkfreak":1c9k44qf said:

Actually, Bevell said in a presser 4 weeks ago that they are encouraging Russell to take more command of the offense and make the check to an audible if he sees a tell in the defense. It's the direction all franchise quarterbacks should go as they mature.

This is nothing new. Example, the check down in the NFCC against Green Bay last play of the game.