Bevell just has a terrible offensive mind

Smellyman

Reaction score
People are talking like RW has the keys to call plays and make changes, but the entire O is broken. It is a useless freakin O. Make changes from one crap play call to another crap play call.

It is getting maddening, but can we bring in an offensive mind who knows what the heck they are doing. I would love to see Payton or Arians running this O. I bet Lane Kiffin would be a huge upgrade. Anybody. They are steadlily ruining RW and heading his career to Derek Carr level and wasting the remaining years of Lynch. Breing in someone who can actually scheme and teach.

I would've settled for some more freaking bubble screens today.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
My only issue was all the pass plays on first downs that resulted with holding calls now creating 1st and 20s forcing the Hawks to now pass every down after (and get more calls). Whatever happened to just running Marshawn up the gut for 3-6 yards on first down, which basically opened up 2nd and 3rd down for so many more options.

Rob12

Reaction score
Arians? Dude is the best coach in the league aside from Belicheck. He's not coming here to work under Pete.

I actually love Arians. When asked if he wanted revenge for the Marshawn run last year, he replied, "Why me? I'm not the one that got my ass ran over repeatedly." Classic.

OP
OP
Smellyman

Smellyman

Reaction score
Didn't say he we can get him or Payton. I would love to see them running it though!

There are 31 other OC's I would take in the NFL. Plenty of other position coaches or coaches in college ranks too. Wasting this window away with Bevell. Is he good at anything? ......Anything? Has he ever been good?

This isn't working and hasn't for quite some time.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I really enjoy jumping on the hate Bevell wagon and at times thought is was irrational cause it was so easy. (Not a fan of his) After listening to Collinsworth tonight though he really had a shining light moment though. 3 wrs on one side, Gramham on the other, make the defense choose. What a holy crap concept. Even if we did it just once a game or 50% of time, who cares.

OP
OP
Smellyman

Smellyman

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":y9bg8neb said:
I really enjoy jumping on the hate Bevell wagon and at times thought is was irrational cause it was so easy. (Not a fan of his) After listening to Collinsworth tonight though he really had a shining light moment though. 3 wrs on one side, Gramham on the other, make the defense choose. What a holy crap concept. Even if we did it just once a game or 50% of time, who cares.

they did do it once on 2nd 2 point conversion....

I haven't jumped on the fire Bevell threads for since they started (and they have been going on a loooong time). Enough is enough though. Can't let these Windows of winning slip away. Let alone ruin a promising qb career and the last years of ML.

Schneider or Allen will need to step in though. Pete loves Bevell

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Smellyman":2ze219jr said:
seahawkfreak":2ze219jr said:

I haven't jumped on the fire Bevell threads for since they started (and they have been going on a loooong time). Enough is enough though. Can't let these Windows of winning slip away. Let alone ruin a promising qb career and the last years of ML.

Schneider or Allen will need to stop in though. Pete loves Bevell
Graham wasn't by himself on the right side, there was another WR and Wilson didn't even look that way.

DeeHawks

Reaction score
Smellyman":b8s69u9x said:
seahawkfreak":b8s69u9x said:

Schneider or Allen will need to stop in though. Pete loves Bevell
I don't get it. Why does Pete love Bevell? Can't he see we are struggling big time offensively and the OC might be part of the problem? Ugh. It's frustrating to watch.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Smellyman":58lm6vf1 said:
seahawkfreak":58lm6vf1 said:

I believe that change will be made by John or Mr. Allen in the offseason if not before.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Smellyman":1v42r8av said:
seahawkfreak":1v42r8av said:

But what Seattle did wasn't in the spirit of what colinsworth was saying. He was more saying basic one on one isolation, whereas Bevell tried some cutesy dumbass read option pass thing, completely disrupting Jimmys timing to get position on the defender.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I've killed bevell as much as anyone but I'm starting to wonder if the problem is because bevell and cable are essentially sharing duties and two apposing philosophies are trying to merge and it's just not working. Multiple times I saw Pete ask Cable first then Bevell. I think maybe one guy running it might be better.

Hendo66

Reaction score
The Saints finally pulled the trigger on Rob Ryan albeit a little too late. Why won't they just move on from Bevell already?
It's not working and hasn't been for way too long. One of the worst O's in the league. Crazy to see this happen week after week!

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
austinslater25":366lqh7z said:
I've killed bevell as much as anyone but I'm starting to wonder if the problem is because bevell and cable are essentially sharing duties and two apposing philosophies are trying to merge and it's just not working. Multiple times I saw Pete ask Cable first then Bevell. I think maybe one guy running it might be better.
This is an interesting point and I see it as possibly a problem now that you mention it.

For those of you that think John will step in and basically demand Pete fire Bevell, that ain't happenin'. John answers to Pete, not the other way around. Paul isn't going to do it on the demanding level either though when the end of the season meetings happen I'm guessing he'll make hi unhappiness clear. I actually am in the minority here and think Bevell will "resign" at the end of the sason. Going back to austin's post above, I'm wondering if Cable ends up the OC.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Surprised it hasn't been mentioned before.

gcolby

Reaction score
It does seem unclear who the play calling is coming from. Blurred lines and Pete's hand in there could be the reality and the source of dysfunction. The offense has been utterly inept for most of the year and lots of last year, on most teams that costs someone their job. Its perplexing to hear the same old "we just have to work harder and fix a few things" lines. Sounds like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Beast carried the ball 8 times and like Collinsworth said the threat of Wilson hurting you with his legs on read option is only real if you actually do it. When they slammed Cards with Beast and Rawls in the third they really got it rolling and were ripping Cards pretty good. That should have been the game plan from minute 1. Not sure why they like to make it so complicated. Mama Lynch was right.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
austinslater25":1eyi7pty said:

This game was the first I've noticed it, but it does appear to be a common occurrence. You may very well be on to something...

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Optimus25":1zh2w1hg said:
Smellyman":1zh2w1hg said:
seahawkfreak":1zh2w1hg said:

But what Seattle did wasn't in the spirit of what colinsworth was saying. He was more saying basic one on one isolation, whereas Bevell tried some cutesy dumbass read option pass thing, completely disrupting Jimmys timing to get position on the defender.
Even with Jimmy isolated, Russell has not learned how to throw to him. Passes are low, behind, or sailing wildly, and often. Maybe it's an equal share of blame, that is, Jimmy has yet to learn how to understand the scramble drill, or runs sloppy routes. But we're seeing erratic passes on routine, designed plays as well as improvised ones.

Russell's lack of precision is part of the problem.

Bevell's playcalling is part of the problem, but it's an extension of Pete's philosophy. In his book, Pete describes a pivotal moment in his coaching career. He was an assistant under Bud Grant with the Vikings. They were facing the defending champion 49ers and Grant's plan for the game was to keep it close until the 4th quarter. His belief was that the 9ers were used to winning blowouts and a team that could hang with them would wear them down and make them susceptible to mistakes. If the Vikes could stay within a score, he surmised, they would outlast their heavily favored opponent and pull out the win late. In that particular case, it worked.

Pete makes a point of saying this had a profound effect on his coaching.

I'm a massive PC fan. His ideas influence me every day. But I see a huge flaw here. Grant emphasized ONE way to take down an overly confident team. Pete took that and has made it a core tenet of his offensive philosophy – FOR EVERY GAME. It worked when we were the underdog, when teams still hadn't figured out Russell, when we had something to prove. We're not that team anymore; our approach needs to evolve along with our status in relation to our opponents.

For a guy so adaptable, whose longevity and success in coaching is attributable to that adaptability and open-door approach, Pete is stubbornly and predictably rigid in his ideas about offense and how to manage the game. Marshawn's very serious/sarcastic question in XLVIII, "Can we score more points?" hits the heart of it like an expert marksman on a windless day.

The offensive line is also part of the problem. It's more than just "they're bad" or "inexperienced" though. They are asked to block for a guy who has no "spot." Carson Palmer, both Mannings, Brees, Brady, all those "statue" guys have a spot and every single pass block reinforces for the linemen their angles and positions of leverage in relation to that spot.

This is not a mystery to anyone involved, so Cable, Carroll, and Schneider go looking for quick-footed, tough, athletic guys who are supposed to be able to move. Despite that intent, for the most part, it isn't happening on the field. Guys who are supposedly more nimble like Britt, Sweezy, and Gilliam, whiff on their blocks just as proficiently and regularly as an overweight plodder like James Carpenter.

Additionally, while these "more athletic" linemen still get turned around and out of position because of Wilson's inside-the-pocket scrambling, our opponents have 3+ years of film showing how Wilson likes to move. He can still break one now and then and he's still really good at buying time and keeping his eyes down field. But he's not making guys look ridiculous this year. He's not making talented defenders dive at the air like he used to, because they've studied his angles and his timing and they're doing a better job of containing him. They've improved at funneling Russell back into the quagmire of big bodies, where again, our linemen are being spun around, where they lunge and grab and get penalized and whiff on blocks.

The whole thing is a mess. If there were a vote, I'd like to see a fresh mind come in with the intent to maximize the talent we already have and uptick the tempo and timing just a bit. But I think that call is not necessarily the OC's to make. If Pete were willing to say, "Hey, let's go a little more killer instinct on offense. Let's see if we can give our D a nice lead to play with by stepping on the gas in the 1st half," then I'd be curious enough to allow Bevell a chance to run with that. But until that happens, I suspect any OC under Pete will exhibit many of the same flaws we're seeing now.

I've never been a Bevell apologist, but at the same time I would give any coordinator a little leeway when he has to start 5 or 6 series pinned back in his own red zone and needing 20 or 25 yards for a 1st down. That kind of undisciplined play takes the playbook right out of anyone's hands. So for this past game at least, I'd say Bevel was put behind the 8 ball way too often for us to adequately grade his gameplan and playcalling.

marko358

Reaction score
It's too bad the Seattle media is so soft. Can you imagine the line of questioning in press conferences if this crap offense were in Philly or NY? Bevell might have just flat out resigned by now.